• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh 14th Aug 2013

CE St Mary's Episcopal Cathedral, Edinburgh

Order of Service:

Introit: A Song of Peace (Rose)
    Responses: Clucas
    Office Hymn: The Lord whom earth and sea and sky (Gonfalon Royal)
    Psalms: 73, 74 (Smart; Garrett; Woodward)
    First Lesson: Jeremiah 31:1-14
    Canticles: Collegium Sancti Johannis Cantabrigiense (Tippett)
    Second Lesson: Romans 8:18-30
    Anthem: What love is this of thine? (Leighton)
    Final Hymn: Sing we of the Blessed Mother (Abbot’s Leigh)

Organ Voluntary: Martyrs (Leighton)

Peter Backhouse (organ duettist)
    Donald Hunt (Assistant Organist)
    Duncan Ferguson (Organist and Master of the Music)
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
      • Nov 2010

- loved it (especially the 2 Leighton pieces)! Thanks to all
      Donald Hunt - ??? Shurely shom mishtak - he must be 83 if he's a day, or does he too have the staying-power of Jacko.

Comment

• bach736
        • Nov 2010

I think you'll find this is he of Truro and St Paul's, Finzi.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Nicely sung, lovely readings, delighted to get some Leighton, but why no more? He'd written some fine canticles and I'd rather have heard them than the Tippett, and some Leighton responses rather than the dull Clucas - given that KL had such a major link with the foundation. 'Martyrs' very effective.

Comment

• Wolsey
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
            Donald Hunt - ??? Shurely shom mishtak - he must be 83 if he's a day...
            In the absence of an 'Organists' Equity' union which would probably insist on it, it would be good if 'young' Mr Hunt used his middle initial and styled himself 'Donald G Hunt' in order to avoid being confused with Donald Hunt OBE. The younger of the two organists named 'David Patrick' does so, as does one of the two organists named Matthew Martin. One also hopes that the younger of the two organists named 'Alistair Reid' will do likewise.

It was good to mark the 25th anniversary of Leighton's death with a beautiful and relatively unknown anthem, and as it was a service rather than a concert, I'm glad it didn't seem necessary to go over the top with a 'Leighton-fest'. I disagree with Draco's comment about Humphrey Clucas's responses, and as the composer is very much alive and kicking, I'm sure he'll be pleased to read the informed remark.
            Last edited by Wolsey; 15-08-13, 22:10.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

All of us on this board are entitled to their own opinion. I happen to think the Clucas responses are dull on the basis of having sung them I don't know how many times.

Quot homines etc.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                • May 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                All of us on this board are entitled to their own opinion. I happen to think the Clucas responses are dull on the basis of having sung them I don't know how many times.

Quot homines etc.
                Indeed they are, but it seems perverse to question the choice of music solely on the grounds that you don't like some of it!

Comment

• pole_2_pole

Why is there not more Clucas out and about? Glad to hear the addition of the composed Lord's Prayer.

Very enjoyable service, Edinburgh; and thanks for marking the anniversary of Leighton.

Comment

• Petrushka
                    • Nov 2010

Surprised not to see more comment on this one. I've just listened to the repeat and found it most enjoyable. Having two of my favourite hymn tunes helps, of course, but the excellent sound did too. There was special depth to the sound of the organ which came across in exactly the way I like. One of the best engineered CE's I've heard for a long time.
                    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• W.Kearns
                      • Dec 2010

Re Humphrey Clucas, I have just, to my delight, come across my long-mislaid copy of his Cathedral Poems - 'Scatter the Darkness.' Not many church musicians have written such elegant, powerful poetry.

Comment

• chitreb
                        • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                        Surprised not to see more comment on this one. I've just listened to the repeat and found it most enjoyable. Having two of my favourite hymn tunes helps, of course, but the excellent sound did too. There was special depth to the sound of the organ which came across in exactly the way I like. One of the best engineered CE's I've heard for a long time.
                        Agreed re the quality of the broadcast sound. Not to mention the music, with some fine singing in the Leighton. Unlike DracoM I don't mind the Clucas - and find the Lord's Prayer particularly appealing.

Comment

Working...
                        X