• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrGongGong
    • Nov 2010

Historical Question

Hello

As part of a piece i'm writing i'm trying to locate an example of the music that might have been sung in Crowland Abbey (near Peterborough) prior to the 17th Century when the Fens were drained. A Lincolnshire based composer would be ideal ...... and as the amount of knowledge here is vast I thought that this would be the place to ask first !

So any thoughts or suitable examples ?

Many thanks

GG
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

John Taverner was born in Lincolnshire and died in Boston in 1545. His Western Wind Mass is readily available*:
    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

EDIT: "Readily available"???! ( = "lots of recordings")
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

William Byrd's first job was at Lincoln Cathedral - perhaps one of his earlier works would be suitable?

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
        William Byrd's first job was at Lincoln Cathedral - perhaps one of his earlier works would be suitable?
        I was thinking along those lines
        but thought it would be interesting to ask those who know most about the period and it's music

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

I thought of that, too.

But Lincoln was a long way away from Peterborough in those days - and how much do we know about music being performed in institutions it wasn't written for? How much do we know about what would have been performed in monastic institutions as opposed to secular cathedrals?

Presumably the Order would make a difference - some were (or were supposed to be, anyway) more ascetic than others.

You'd be on safe ground with plainsong, but beyond that, who knows?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
            But Lincoln was a long way away from Peterborough in those days -
            Nothing to do with tectonic plates. I don't suppose?

People still travelled long distances, but perhaps had greater patience than most of us do nowadays.

Comment

• Vox Humana
              • Dec 2012

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Hello

As part of a piece i'm writing i'm trying to locate an example of the music that might have been sung in Crowland Abbey (near Peterborough) prior to the 17th Century when the Fens were drained. A Lincolnshire based composer would be ideal ...... and as the amount of knowledge here is vast I thought that this would be the place to ask first !

So any thoughts or suitable examples ?

Many thanks

GG
              I fear the answer to your question is probably plainsong and nothing else, at least in the abbey proper. Prior to the reformation, Crowland Abbey was a Benedicitne monastery. Monasteries were not like the secular cathedrals. They did not follow the trend from c.1460 of founding full polyphonic choirs. Some Benedictine and Augustinian monasteries instituted a team of boys under a master to sing votive antiphons in the Lady Chapel - Leonel Power was such a master at Canterbury - and it seems that these boys did sometimes sing in polyphony. Later, in some places the monastic Lady Chapel choirs did grow into a larger, secular, body like the cathedral choirs - Thomas Ashewell had a full choir (perhaps not just a Lady Chapel one either) at Durham and Tallis was in another full choir at Waltham Abbey.

I do not know whether Crowland had a secular choir - I have never seen one mentioned. One aisle of the abbey was sealed off and functioned as a (secular) parish church. Whether this would have had a choir would have been no concern of the monks and would have depended on whether some wealthy benefactor had endowed one to sing antiphons for his soul, or whether there was a local guild wealthy enough to maintain one to sing for their departed members (and I confess I have no idea what the medieval town was like). After the reformation parish church choirs were very thin on the ground indeed - in fact, Ludlow parish church is the only one that I can immediately think of.

So all the chances are that Crowland was a musical desert. If it's any help, a 13th-century Gradual from the abbey, containing the chants for the mass, survives in the British Library http://www.bl.uk/onlinegallery/onlin...u00005v00.html

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Leicester is closer to Peterborough by about five miles. Hugh Aston was Master of Music there in the early 16th Century:

Professional vocal ensemble Blue Heron performs an excerpt from a work by English composer Hugh Aston at Bowdoin College in October 2008. The treble and ten...

... and, if you want to combine Lincoln Byrd with Leicester Aston there's this:

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                X