• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon
    • Jun 2024

Regensburg - their new clip

A friend has sent me this link:

Regensburger Domspatzen - Medley Volkslieder 20131. Loreley-LiedIch weiss nicht was soll es bedeuten Dass ich so traurig bin; Ein Märchen aus alten Zeiten,Da...

I heard them live last year, and this is even better. They seem to get a perfect balance nearly every time. With luck, and if I get some leave later this year, I might find my way to some of the continental choirs again. England is better, of course, for the choral religious settings, but the Germans don't half do a fine job with their folk music!
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Well, on the basis of that clip alone, I'd say what a fantastic waste of a brilliantly equipped choir. Trying to upstage the Vienna Boys? And that SETTING! Crikey, how kitsch and camp can you get.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

eeerm
      They appear to be outside
      but with the acoustic of a church ?

Folk music ?
      it might be a "folk" tune but ........ (discuss ?)

Comment

• Oldcrofter
        • Dec 2010

I remember talking to some delightful German teenagers about what they did in music lessons in school - one described as still the old "blöde Herz-Schmerz Quatsch !" stupid heart/heartache tripe !

I think "folk-song" is still regarded as important in general musical education in Germany but someone with more up-to-date knowledge may know better. Much of it is simple poetry set to simple tunes by well-known composers.

Still, they've been singing since 975 A.D. and German audiences have a great liking for sweet, sentimental songs.

I was intrigued, by the way, to discover that Regensburg in French is "Ratisbonne" - most unexpected.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
          Late Member
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          eeerm
          They appear to be outside
          but with the acoustic of a church ?
          They're very probably miming to playback. Not a microphone in sight.
          My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
            They're very probably miming to playback. Not a microphone in sight.
            I wasn't going to suggest that but now you do

Comment

Working...
            X