Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Chapel of Eton College, Eton Wed, 17th July 2013

CE Chapel of Eton College, Eton
    Second Choral Course

Order of Service:

Introit: Hymne to God (George Haynes) (first performance)
    Responses: Ben Parry
    Psalms: 89 (Woodward; Smart; Flintoft)
    First Lesson: Isaiah 49: 8-13
    Office Hymn: King of Glory, King of Peace (Ballards)
    Canticles: Purcell in A minor
    Second Lesson: 2 Corinthians 8: 1-11
    Anthem: Antiphon (Britten)
    Hymn: O Jesus, I have promised (Wolvercote)

Organ Voluntary: Fantasia in G (Parry)

Christopher Whitton (Organist)
    Ben Parry (Music Director)
  • chrisjstanley
    • Dec 2010

It will be interesting to hear the Britten Antiphon which was commissioned by Kenneth Beard for the 100th anniversary of St Michael's College, Tenbury. Kenneth Beard conducted the first performance on 29 September 1956 in the presence of the composer.

Kenneth Beard was later Rector Chori at Southwell Minster from 1959-1988 and had a major part in the musical development of a number of current musicians and DoMs. After the refusal of the authorities at Southwell Minster to consider interring Kenneth's ashes in the Quire at Southwell, they were dispersed around the college at Tenbury according to accounts of some of his friends.

bws
    Chris S

Comment

• BasilHarwood
      • Mar 2012

Southwell - an eminent place; there the choir sings 'Ah-braham' instead of the status quo... Anyone know of any other quirky cathedral traditions (not just Southwell)?

Comment

• gainasbass

Re Southwell, the Dean's stall - and therefore Decani - is on the north side of the quire.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Reminder CE @ Eton is @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• chrisjstanley
            • Dec 2010

Regarding the 'affectation' Aahbraham at S'well, it was certainly there in 1963 and probably predated KB. Was it introduced by Ashfield or Lumsden perhaps? I'd always assumed it was introduced because invariably in the Mag first syllable of Abraham is on a high note which can lead to a rather nasty sound for straining trebles........ but I could be completely wrong here.

Interestingly, as I spent all but one service on Dec, I never knew there was an issue with Can being on the South side but on here you learn something every day.............................

I look forward to this afternoon's service. RVW Antiphon is more commonly performed than Britten's and I'm wondering whether we ever performed the latter under KB. Certainly, he was too modest ever to have mentioned his part in its commissioning.

bws
            Chris S

Comment

• gainasbass

Staying with Southwell, I was a member of a visiting choir there in the late 1950s, in David Lumsden's tenure I recall, and we had to "swap" sides and observe the pronunciation of Ah-braham. Looking forward now to the Eton broadcast.

Comment

• GambleD

What happened to the office hymn: King of Glory, King of Peace (Ballards)?

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

This CE had its moments.

Britten might have been happy with the way the high tessitura for solos were taken by the toppest voices. One alto / tenor more or less bullied his way through the ensembles.

Choir remote-ish, and bit swimmy? Plenty of enthusiasm all round. Discipline you associate with a pick-up choir?

Comment

• Op. XXXIX
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    This CE had its moments.
                    Indeed. Wolvercote is always a pleasure to hear, and beautifully sung!

Certainly not one of the easier hymns to play. (I've heard a few amateur organists stumble.)

Comment

• chrisjstanley
                      • Dec 2010

Agree with DracoM. Bit of a curate's egg. Dominant soprano in the psalms tended to drag down the intonation by a quarter tone or was that just a bad acoustic? Beautiful chants to psalm 89 in any case. Purcell in A, G or any damn key was good and the Britten well sung although not inspirational.

IMMSMC, KB never performed the Britten in the years 1963 to 1973.

bws
                      Chris S

Comment

• ToneLower

Originally posted by Op. XXXIX View Post
                        Indeed. Wolvercote is always a pleasure to hear, and beautifully sung!
                        Same old tunes! Another missed opportunity!

Comment

• Vox Humana
                          • Dec 2012

No support from me there, Sir! For me, the pairing of Wolvercote and "O Jesus I have promised" is one of the best matches in the world of hymnody.

Comment

• Simon

Caught in it time! Thoroughly enjoyed, esp Purcell. Good introit and great responses, too, IMO.

It seems I've missed a mix of the excellent and the not so good, whilst away, from your comments. Twas ever thus, I suppose. Looking forward to the next.

bws to all

Simon

Comment

Working...
                            X