X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

The recent St Davids CE was of course on the back of a concert already much miked a few days beforehand, so presumably that was cheaper than most?

And if they really are short, Truro have the in-built facilities to webcast...... . Like decantor, I'm a bit puzzled too.

The Oxbridge colls are presumably not singing at this season but preparing for recordings, or organising tours and choristers old will have gone down for a 'rest' until returning for recording, while many choristers young prepare for exams etc, yes, I see that, but there are still cathedrals all over UK who are singing and will go on doing so until mid-late July, so.........?

As decantor says, baffled by an archive NOW. In August, yes, of course, but June 5th? Manchester, NCO, Southwell have all given us June CEs in the last four years to name but three, so...?

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

This has puzzled me from the start. Surely the Accession is the moment when the last monarch dies.

Therefore the Queen was in Treetops, err.somewhere when she acceded.

Comment

• mangerton
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        This has puzzled me from the start. Surely the Accession is the moment when the last monarch dies.

Therefore the Queen was in Treetops, err.somewhere when she acceded.
        Yes, indeed. Hence, "The king is dead. Long live the king!" (Or queen, in this case.)

And the queen was up a tree in Kenya when she acceded.

Comment

• Mr Stoat

As far as I can recall, in the early-mid '80s it was frequently the practise for R3 to record the Tuesday evensong for later broadcast, then broadcast Wednesday's "live" - 2 for the price of 1 so-to-speak. I have a friend who was a lay clerk at Canterbury at that time. When I see him I'll ask if he can remember......

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

I think That Ardcarp is right, they used to be 45 mins.
            don't recall Fridays being on the schedule though.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Wolsey
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vox Humana View Post
              I see that in 1988 the 7 February was a Sunday. Was that the regular broadcast day for Choral Evensong at that time?
              Yes, at 10.30pm.

Comment

• Vile Consort
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                The recent St Davids CE was of course on the back of a concert already much miked a few days beforehand, so presumably that was cheaper than most?

And if they really are short, Truro have the in-built facilities to webcast...... . Like decantor, I'm a bit puzzled too.

The Oxbridge colls are presumably not singing at this season but preparing for recordings, or organising tours and choristers old will have gone down for a 'rest' until returning for recording, while many choristers young prepare for exams etc, yes, I see that, but there are still cathedrals all over UK who are singing and will go on doing so until mid-late July, so.........?

As decantor says, baffled by an archive NOW. In August, yes, of course, but June 5th? Manchester, NCO, Southwell have all given us June CEs in the last four years to name but three, so...?
                Cambridge Full Term finishes on Friday 14 June so the college choirs there will certainly still be singing.

The first fortnight in June is, of course, May Week.

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

So, it looks as if no-one seems to have arrived at an explanation we could all agree on as to the reasons behind this CE tomorrow? .

Comment

• Chris Watson
                    • Jun 2011

I just think it's wonderful to have a chance to hear Allan's choir again!

Comment

• Wolsey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      So, it looks as if no-one seems to have arrived at an explanation we could all agree on as to the reasons behind this CE tomorrow? .
                      We could, of course, wait to hear what is said in the continuity announcement at the start of the broadcast...

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Indeed.....but how so simple an answer to so great a mystery!

Comment

• Y Mab Afradlon
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          I think That Ardcarp is right, they used to be 45 mins.
                          don't recall Fridays being on the schedule though.
                          Ardcarp is right and so is Mr Stoat "early-mid '80s it was frequently the practise for R3 to record the Tuesday evensong for later broadcast, then broadcast Wednesday's "live" Fridays were recorded.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                            • May 2011

Originally posted by Chris Watson View Post
                            I just think it's wonderful to have a chance to hear Allan's choir again!
                            I was just about to say that! Presumably his last broadcast, as he retired that summer...

Comment

• Mr Stoat

Originally posted by Gabriel Jackson View Post
                              I was just about to say that! Presumably his last broadcast, as he retired that summer...
                              Not sure whether there was a broadcast around the time of the Lambeth Conference, during which I THINK he retired. Again, the contact I mentioned earlier may be able to help me on this and I will report back.

Comment

• Chris Watson
                                • Jun 2011

Allan retired in August '88 at the end of the Lambeth Conference. Stanford in C and Bairstow Lord Thou hast Been Our Refuge for his final service. I helped him tidy the song school the next day. I think there was an Evensong broadcast that summer, and one of the Sunday morning Eucharists from the conference was live on the TV.

Comment

Working...
                                X