X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bach736
    • Nov 2010

Remembering John Birch

In case anyone hasn't seen the Church Times anno, Chichester Cathedral's CE on Saturday 11th May at 3.30 pm will be sung in thanksgiving for the life of John Birch.

Responses : Clucas
    Magnificat : Wood in F
    Nunc Dimittis : Holst
    Anthem : Easter (Five Mystical Songs) (Vaughan Williams)
    with Stephen Roberts, baritone

There will also be music from a string trio representing the RPO.
    The Cathedral Choir will be augmented by former choristers.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

John Birch was a great musician...not just a great church musician. I shall not forget his masterly conducting of The Chichester Psalms at one of the SCFs long ago.

Comment

• Hornspieler
      Late Member
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      John Birch was a great musician...not just a great church musician. I shall not forget his masterly conducting of The Chichester Psalms at one of the SCFs long ago.
      John Birch created a tradition of choral singing and choir training which will endure in Chichester for many years.

R.I.P.

Comment

• Keraulophone
        • Nov 2010

Listening to Chichester's contribution to The Treasury of English Church Music (reissued by EMI), the many fine qualities of John Birch's leadership are apparent. Back in 1966, he made everything sound beautiful, often prayerful, with well controlled legato lines, but having inner energy, and always with faithfulness to the score. With Richard Seal at the organ, it was a formidable combination of musical wisdom and skill. His innate perfectionism did not hinder musicality. Like his contemporary Allan Wicks, he championed many of the finest contemporary composers (and not only for their choral music: they were both virtuoso organists) and profoundly infuenced future generations of musicians who had sung in his choirs.

I'll remember him fondly on 11th May and at our CE the following day.

Comment

Working...
        X