• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

William Croft on The Early Music Show

There are many occasions when the EMS features things of possible interest to adherents of The Choir. Today's edition:

Catherine Bott explores the signing of the Treaty of Utrecht in 1713 with music by Handel.

is a good example, featuring as it does, a possibly unique recording of Croft's extended instrumental setting Ode for the Peace of Utrecht. It spans the second half of the programme, beginning about 27 mins in. This is a rare opportunity to hear an excellent performance of an unjustifiably neglected work by a petit maitre.
  • Black Swan

I totally agree. I have downloaded the CD from iTunes.

Comment

• MickyD
      • Nov 2010

Croft is a composer well worth getting to know...there is a lovely CD of his choral music on Hyperion:

...and I also treasure an old LP (issued by the National Trust!) of some of his theatre music, recorded by a baroque orchestra under John Holloway. I would love to see it in CD format.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

...and I also treasure an old LP (issued by the National Trust!) of some of his theatre music, recorded by a baroque orchestra under John Holloway. I would love to see it in CD format.
        Snap! (See my ramblings on the EMS forum).

Comment

• MickyD
          • Nov 2010

Oops, sorry ardcarp, I hadn't seen that message. I particularly like that suite from "The Comedy Call'd 'The Funerals'". Many moons ago I nabbed John Holloway after an AAM concert and asked him if he had plans to do any more Croft - he said that sadly the National Trust disc was a one off.

But did you collect the other National Trust LPs at the time? I had a fondness for "Music for Petworth", with some members of the AAM and Christopher Hogwood doing early 19th century chamber music.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
            Oops, sorry ardcarp, I hadn't seen that message. I particularly like that suite from "The Comedy Call'd 'The Funerals'". Many moons ago I nabbed John Holloway after an AAM concert and asked him if he had plans to do any more Croft - he said that sadly the National Trust disc was a one off.
            Prompts the thought of whether a small cottage industry wouldn't be useful. I've never understood why even performing rights wouldn't be waived over performances which otherwise wouldn't be heard at all; ditto recording rights if there is no intention to reissue.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

ff

a small cottage industry
              ...or a croft industry?

MickyD
              But did you collect the other National Trust LPs at the time?
              No. Sadly not. It's just that, long ago, W.Croft was a special interest of mine, and I tracked down his familial descendants, one of whom (at the time) inhabited Croft Castle in Herefordshire. Roy Massey did a splendid Croft concert in
              H. Cathedral (can't remember the date, alas) and used to keep several Croft anthems on the cathedral's music list.
              Last edited by ardcarp; 14-04-13, 11:43.

Comment

• MickyD
                • Nov 2010

Interesting, ardcarp. I visited Croft myself many years ago, though can't remember much of it save for the lovely aspect of the house from the front.

I truly believe that Croft's music is woefully neglected and should be performed much more often.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Croft was a quite prolific as a composer, though he devoted himself mainly to church music. He was both Master of the Children of the Chapel Royal and (on the death of Blow) organist at Westminster Abbey. It was part of the deal (unlike today) to write a fair proportion of the music to be sung. Croft's main published work is Musica Sacra of 1724, a collection of his anthems, purported to be the first published in score (rather than as part-books). It contains the famous funeral sentences (begun by Purcell but largely by Croft) which have been sung at all royal funerals since.

Now I wonder if they'll get an airing at a certain forthcoming event at St Paul's?

Comment

• MickyD
                    • Nov 2010

I have also heard a few harpsichord suites of his on YouTube - it would be nice to hear these from time to time, they strike me as rather fine.

Comment

Working...
                    X