• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Jeremy Summerly on CD Review

Despite having to contend with the infuriating 'dialogue with Andrew' format, JS introduced some fascinating repertory from the 20th and 21st centuries.

SHCHEDRIN: The Sealed Angel
    Alexander Golyshev (flute), Lolita Semenina (soprano), Natalia Belova (soprano), Tatiana Zhdanova (mezzo), Andrei Azovsky (descant), Alexander Illarionov (alto), Alexeye Alexeyev (tenor), The USSR State Academic Russian Choir, The Moscow Chamber Choir, Vladimir Minin (artistic director and conductor)
    MELODIYA MELCD1002070 (CD)

Letters to Lindbergh – Choral music by Richard Rodney Bennett
    BENNETT: Letters to Lindbergh; The Ballad of Sweet William; The Aviary; Dream-Song; A Song at Evening; Four American Carols; Over the hills and far away
    Philip Moore and Andrew West (pianos), NYCoS Girls Choir, Christopher Bell (conductor)
    SIGNUM SIGCD325 (CD)

Visions (Choral Music)
    McCABE: Three Marian Carols; Mangan Triptych; Amen / Alleluia; Proud Songsters; The Lily-White Rose; The Morning Watch; The Evening Watch; Great Lord of Lords; A Hymne to God the Father; The Last and Greatest Herald
    Iain Farrington (organ), BBC Singers, David Hill (conductor)
    NAXOS 8573053 (CD budget)

A ship with unfurled sails
    JACKSON: The Voice of the Bard; Now I have known O Lord; O Doctor optime; Missa Triueriensis; Thomas Jewel of Canterbury; Sanctum est verum lumen; Angeli archangeli; A ship with unfurled sails; Aeterna caeli gloria; Ave regina caelorum
    The State Choir Latvija, Kaspars Zemitis (electric guitar), Maris Sirmais (conductor)
    HYPERION CDA67976 (CD)

Refractions
    VALEN: Ave Maria Op. 4; Hvad est du dog skion Op. 12; Kom regn fra det hoie Op. 25; Der 121 Psalm
    MESSIAEN: Cinq rechants; O sacrum convivium
    WEBERN: Entflieht auf leichten Kahnen Op. 2; Zwei Lieder Op. 19
    BERG: Die Nachtigall
    Berit Norbakken Solset (soprano), Norwegian Soloists’ Choir, Norwegian Radio Orchestra, Members of the Oslo Sinfonietta, Grete Pedersen (conductor)
    BIS BIS1970 (Hybrid SACD)

I thought the two outstanding choirs were The State Choir of Latvia and the Norwegian Soloists' Choir. I shall certainly be ordering their discs, 'A Ship with Unfurled Sials' and 'Refractions', the latter especially for Berg's fiendishly difficult
    Die Nachtigall.

Jeremey spoke authoritatively and with his usual insight into things choral. I was just longing for him to disagree with one of Andrew's feeder lines....but of course it was all pre-ordained.

Gabriel Jackson's Missa Truriensis (by the Latvian choir) may well be of interest to Forum members. I certainly enjoyed the extract that was played and was interested by Jeremy's comments on GJ's style.

The programme:

With Andrew McGregor. Including Building a Library: Schumann: Myrthen, Op 25.

...and the Jeremy Summerly bit starts about 1hr39'30" in.
  • Gabriel Jackson
    • May 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

I thought the two outstanding choirs were The State Choir of Latvia and the Norwegian Soloists' Choir. I shall certainly be ordering their discs, 'A Ship with Unfurled Sials' and 'Refractions', the latter especially for Berg's fiendishly difficult
    Die Nachtigall.

Jeremey spoke authoritatively and with his usual insight into things choral. I was just longing for him to disagree with one of Andrew's feeder lines....but of course it was all pre-ordained.

Gabriel Jackson's Missa Truriensis (by the Latvian choir) may well be of interest to Forum members. I certainly enjoyed the extract that was played and was interested by Jeremy's comments on GJ's style.

The programme:

With Andrew McGregor. Including Building a Library: Schumann: Myrthen, Op 25.

...and the Jeremy Summerly bit starts about 1hr39'30" in.
    Glad you liked the State Choir - they were fantastic to work with and Maris Sirmais is an extraordinary musician, I think. Kaspars Zemitis is a huge star in Latvia and he did a terrific job too.

Comment

Working...
    X