• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • salymap
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Can anyone beat this record ?

Excuse an interloper but I've just read on Kent news that Tony Streeter, aged 82 this month, is celebrating 75 years in the choir at St Mary's Church, Speldhurst, Nr Tunbridge Wells.

Do you know of anyone who can equal this ?
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

Richard Henry, 90, joined the St Mary’s Roman Catholic Church Male Voice Choir in Oswaldtwistle, Lancs as a boy soprano at the age of just seven in 1928.

Quite amazing.........

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

I don't think I can equal this from my knowledge but in my choir days as a treble (and later, tenor) in the mid to late 1960s we had a gentleman who was there still singing until almost on the day of his death in around 1969 in his late 80s. He was certainly in the choir when my father joined in 1927 so my best guess would be somewhere about 60 years. Sorry to be vague but it's a long time ago and no easy way to find out more.

As an aside, my father, still going strong at 95, started bell-ringing in 1938, resumed after the War, and finished in 2010 at the age of 91. He joined our local choir in 1927 and can just be seen in a photograph at the unveiling of our War memorial on November 11 1928.
      Last edited by Petrushka; 01-04-13, 20:43.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Vox Humana
        • Dec 2012

This might be a record:

The world's longest serving chorister has died at the age of 101 after singing in the same church for 93 years.

Comment

Working...
        X