• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

St Peter's, Rome...the singers

During an all-too-short coffee break this a.m. I tuned into R4 longwave to hear some pf Pope Francis' inaugural Mass. Needless to say the presenters (one named Willie?) talked non-stop throughout and the music was in the background at the sort of minimum level to let the listeners know there was something faintly liturgical going on.

From what I was able to discern, there were some over-loud men (esp. one tenore) and a tendency to sing just below the note in continuously organ-accompanied plainsong.
    Does anyone know if there is likely to be a site where one can hear/see the whole thing without encumbrance?
  • Nick Armstrong
    Host
    • Nov 2010

This may not be relevant now but the BBC did at least have the gumption to televise the service free of commentatorial encumbrances on 'the red button' this morning... It was live, not sure if it will be available on the iPlayer...
    "...the isle is full of noises,
    Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
    Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
    Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Wolsey
      • Nov 2010

I think it's here - you'll need to click on the 'video on demand' tab and scroll a few minutes in to the video-stream in order to get past the repeated station ident.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

I noticed the tenor too! The coverage on Sky News was excellent, with, as usual on these occasions, the authoritative Alastair Bruce. I was hooked from 8.15 until 10.30 or so - and no fiddling with red buttons.

Interesting to see how Canterbury compares later in the week.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Singing was dreadful. BUT in their defence, was the choir not outdoors - in a difficult wind?

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Could have been a cobination of thing there, DracoM. Lack of rehersal time, perhaps, the out door conditions, defintely, plus very poor PA system. You would have thought they be able to counter that?
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Thanks for the link, Wolsey. Unfortunately my old steam-driven PC has been thrown into total disarray trying to install 'Silverlight', presumably The Vatican's i-player. If there is a God up there, please sort out my computer. (This message comes via tiny netbook, BTW.)

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Singing was dreadful. BUT in their defence, was the choir not outdoors - in a difficult wind?
                That explains a lot. Are we to expect our new Archbishop Welby (?) to be cavoting around Canterbury Cathedral Close in galoshes attended by the choir in full oilies?

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  Could have been a cobination of thing there, DracoM. Lack of rehersal time, perhaps, the out door conditions, defintely, plus very poor PA system. You would have thought they be able to counter that?
                  Well, OK, but to be frank I have never heard the Sistine Chapel Choir singing what most on this mb would call acceptably. If I were a regular at St P's, I would be pretty embarrassed by what that choir sounds like.

Comment

• decantor
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                    Well, OK, but to be frank I have never heard the Sistine Chapel Choir singing what most on this mb would call acceptably. If I were a regular at St P's, I would be pretty embarrassed by what that choir sounds like.
                    I can't say I've heard the Sistine choir much, but they never impressed me, and their reputation was not of the highest. But when Ratzinger (from a musical stable) became Benedict, one of his first acts was to invite Martin Baker to Rome. It was surmised at the time that the then new Pope wanted a Drome-like outfit in Rome, but nothing came of it to my knowledge.

Comment

• mopsus
                      • Nov 2010

Mgr Philip Whitmore, formerly precentor at Westminster Cathedral and an expert on 18th-century keyboard music, has worked in the Curia for over a decade.

Comment

• jean
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

No castrati, I noted. Shame.

Comment

• Petrushka
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
                          I noticed the tenor too! The coverage on Sky News was excellent, with, as usual on these occasions, the authoritative Alastair Bruce. I was hooked from 8.15 until 10.30 or so - and no fiddling with red buttons.

Interesting to see how Canterbury compares later in the week.
                          Hmmm, on BBC2 at 2.30, 'setting the scene', Huw Edwards, no red button option that I can see. It doesn't bode well does it? No doubt we will have the warblings of Edwards spoiling the music. Pity but no surprise.
                          "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Keraulophone
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                            Singing was dreadful
                            Agreed, especially the pronounced flatness in the plainsong... except for one very brave boy soloist remaining remarkably unfazed faced by the multitude before him in St Peter's Square... and was that tenor depping from Rome Opera?

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

No castrati, I noted.
                              Ah. But how do we know?

Comment

Working...
                              X