X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finzi4ever
    • Nov 2010

Archive CE Bramdean School

I have been off the board for a bit so I might have missed any thread relating to last week's archive performance from 1990. I found it utterly spellbinding, remembering too their fairly regular broadcasts of Compline on Radio 4 back in the last century.

Is it just me or is it not simply amazing that such a standard was so regualrly achieved there? The sheer musicality and sense of line, to say nothing of the consistently well-blended vocal quality was staggering.
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

The discussion got a little 'off topic' and was removed. I have explained to all those who PM'd me for an explanation. The comments on the performance were very favourable.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Wolsey
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
      ...I found it utterly spellbinding, remembering too their fairly regular broadcasts of Compline on Radio 4 back in the last century.
      Whatever happened to Compline on BBC Radio 4 from St Alban's Church, Holborn, sung by the Eric Barnes Singers? Whatever's happened to the Eric Barnes Singers?

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Ah, the good old days of R4. Can you imagine them broadcasting Compline now? The Shipping Forecast has been shoved to the extremes of day and night and we've lost that lovely morning Medley...but alas have retained Sailing By. Bells on Sunday still exists, amazingly, though is only of token length. CE used to be on R4 if I remember correctly. Nostalgia ain't what it used to be either. Now, how about briging back Mrs Dale's Diary? Oh, and there's The Organist Entertains......

Comment

• ToneLower

There are shipping forecasts on long wave at reasonable times - 1201 and 1754 (normally long wave only). And "that lovely morning Medley" was generally described in less affectionate terms before it was abolished, tho' I enjoyed it, too. Bells on Sunday is definitely worthy of a half-hour peak time slot, but it could sometimes benefit from a little more care in the announcing - they rang Grandsire triples on six bells not so long ago!

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Fritz Spiegel? Our Youth Orchestra played it last season - the Radio 4 Theme.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              The discussion got a little 'off topic' and was removed. I have explained to all those who PM'd me for an explanation. The comments on the performance were very favourable.
              Shame.

Whatever, I had had it recorded, and listened today after I got up. Can only wholeheartedly agree with Finzi - a sublime and superb evensong.

Comment

Working...
              X