• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The Choir on R3 - Sunday 1700

The programme seems to be taking a new turn:

The first of a special series of programmes presented by leading figures in the choral world. Today, voice expert and choral director Suzi Digby presents her pick of the world's best youth choirs and invites two experts in choral training to discuss some of the the challenges and joys of working with young singers.

Still the same inconvenient time tho'.
  • bach736
    • Nov 2010

So farewell then, Aled Jones - and hello, Eric Whitacre.
    Be careful what you wish for!

The best of the BBC, with the latest news and sport headlines, weather, TV & radio highlights and much more from across the whole of BBC Online

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

My 'heads up' about The Choir was intended to be value judgement free!

I'm beginning to feel a bit sorry for poor old Eric.

I dislike much of the simplistic repetitive **** which passes for 'contemporary' choral composition these days, but there is more than one purveyor of it!

And lots of people love it.

Comment

• bach736
        • Nov 2010

No value judgement intended, Ardcarp.
        Just pointing out the irony in light of recent comments on this board!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          a new turn
          Is it permanent, as regards Mr Jones?

If so, I might start listening...

(No value judgment, you understand. Just a question and a statement of fact )
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Is it permanent, as regards Mr Jones?

If so, I might start listening...

(No value judgment, you understand. Just a question and a statement of fact )
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Frances_iom
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
              Is it permanent, as regards Mr Jones?If so, I might start listening... :
              he moved to the 'opposition' sometime ago and guess now his contract has reached its end - I also will give it a try

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

< Is it permanent, as regards Mr Jones? >

Well.........this time I hope it gets into the hands of someone who genuinely has expert and inside knowledge of how choirs work as opposed to 'a personality' more at home on R2 than R3? So often, particularly in interview, you felt that Mr Jones was far out of his depth and / or interest zone.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

On the other hand, we have young Aled to thank for hosting a programme devoted to choral singing for seven years.

The BBC took umbrage when Aled joined ITV, and they appointed Bill Turnbull for Songs of Praise (from the beginning of this year) and Claire Balding for Good Morning Sunday on R2.

"Since apparently no single individual could replace Jones (yet)..." Quite so. Though I don't remember enthusiasts complaining about Choir Works - barely a CD in sight and a qualified and interested 'host' in Paul Guinery. He seems to be otherwise occupied.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Agreed.
                    For me Paul Guinery was the ideal Choir Works host.
                    Knew his stuff, self-effacing we had lots of choirs and choir trainers on from every shade on the spectrum.
                    I sincerely wish they could woo him back, but the rumour was that he was seriously miffed for being ousted by someone of AJ's ilk. No idea if that was / is true.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

What about Jeremy Summerly? He has a thorough knowledge of the choral scene and huge experience of working with singers. And he has a relaxed radio style...informative without lecturing... and a nice sense of humour.

(Sorry about this, Jeremy, if you don't want the job!)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        What about Jeremy Summerly? He has a thorough knowledge of the choral scene and huge experience of working with singers. And he has a relaxed radio style...informative without lecturing... and a nice sense of humour.

(Sorry about this, Jeremy, if you don't want the job!)

Agreed. One of the best R3 presenters. He didn't do his pre-Christmas 'turn' on CD Review this time, alas. To busy 'doing' the music to talk about it these days, perhaps?
                        "...the isle is full of noises,
                        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                          • May 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          < Is it permanent, as regards Mr Jones? >

Well.........this time I hope it gets into the hands of someone who genuinely has expert and inside knowledge of how choirs work as opposed to 'a personality' more at home on R2 than R3? So often, particularly in interview, you felt that Mr Jones was far out of his depth and / or interest zone.
                          Having been interviewed by Aled Jones twice, I can safely say that neither is he "out of his depth" when it comes to The Choir, nor does he lack interest! Quite the opposite - and he's a very, very good interviewer.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Usefully technical programme. Hands-on practitioners talking.

Liked the distinctions being made about appropriate styles for particular genres and the technical means for obtaining results.
                            AND the host's comments about how often she had heard / seen the inappropriate material / pitch etc too often chosen by DoM's without regard for the nature / competence of the ensemble. You just wonder what they might have said when the mics were turned off, given that they were so concerned about 'wrong repertoire - i.e. pity you can't have clips of same and discuss?

Was it just me or did the intonation in that final Morton Lauridsen clip waver in the closing bars?

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Usefully technical programme. Hands-on practitioners talking.
                              Absolutely agree, plus some great music played. Having defined what 'a youth choir' is, SD rather bent the rules by including Oxbridge Collegse and cathedral choirs...but so what. Her two studio guests were very knowledgeable too...one having been a voice coach to St Pauls choristers.

Comment

Working...
                              X