X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wolsey
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    I don't want to sound sanctimonious or schoolmasterly, but I do think when discussing kids' individual voices we need to be careful. Praise is fine (well done the soloist in the Mendelssohn) and saying nothing is fine, but criticism needs to be reserved for adults.
    I agree. Criticising the voices/abilities of individual boys in public (i.e. this forum) in the way seen above is quite unacceptable.

Comment

• Petrushka
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
      I agree. Criticising the voices/abilities of individual boys in public (i.e. this forum) in the way seen above is quite unacceptable.
      Although I don't agree with the comment made, no boy was named or individually pinpointed so I fail to see why honest criticism cannot be given without, of course, resorting to over the top attacks and I don't think that this particular example did that.

As it happens, I enjoyed this CE very much. Thanks to all at Winchester and happy memories of a very hot day I spent there last summer.
      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

The lad or lads could easily have been identified by anyone in the know and who might then have relayed the crit. I agree with ardcarp, it was not at all malicious, just a tad injudicious maybe.

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          I don't want to sound sanctimonious or schoolmasterly, but I do think when discussing kids' individual voices we need to be careful. Praise is fine (well done the soloist in the Mendelssohn) and saying nothing is fine, but criticism needs to be reserved for adults.
          ardcarp

The boy can't help his voice I agree.

My criticism is really directed at the DoM. He should, in my opinion, have restrained any over prominent voices especially if they are, perhaps, past their best.

VCC

Comment

Working...
          X