X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gabriel Jackson
    • May 2011

Latvian choirs

My blog about Latvian singing for the Gramophone website might be of interest...http://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/gra...ion-of-singers
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for that, Gabriel. I've always appreciated the Northern and Eastern European 'schools' of singing, and indeed have drawn attention to them on this Forum. Whilst we ourselves have a tradition to be proud of, we must IMO not get stuck in our ways, and listening to fine choirs from Latvia and elsewhere can be revelatory. Anyone tried Bulgaria? Now there's a sound.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

PS Even Riga is getting a bit X-Factor-ish...but there's some local colour anyway.

Riga Stradins University Mixed Choir "Riga" took part in "10th Venezia in Musica 2012" and became Winner of the categories "Folklore" and "Mixed Choirs witho...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
        Thanks for that, Gabriel.

Anyone tried Bulgaria? Now there's a sound.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
          • May 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          PS Even Riga is getting a bit X-Factor-ish...but there's some local colour anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2fsmW4CcvE
          What's X-Factor about that?

Comment

• Oldcrofter
            • Dec 2010

Gabriel, I think Ardcarp may be referring to the slight movement of some of the singers while singing, or perhaps the burst of jubilation at having won the section. The reference to the X-Factor is an expression of disapproval used on this board - e.g. the Women's Hour boy/girl chorister thread messages 2 & 6, and the Choir of the Year thread messages 2, 5 & 6.

Choirs, young or old, always celebrate loudly when they win a competition - always have done, long before the X-Factor and televised competitions were dreamed up. Church and catherdral choirs don't celebrate in that way at the end of choral evensong - and as far as I know, never enter competitions.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
              • Dec 2010

Massed Latvian choirs - an exciting and passionate sound !

Mazs bij' teva novadinis.Dziesmu svetki (Song Festival). Riga, Latvia. July 12, 200812,000 singers on the stage.

High quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhbwFSF9wFQ&fmt=18Latvian Nationwide Song and Dance Celebration, Opening Concert, July 6, 2008

Hope you hear singing like this during your visit, Gabriel.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
                Massed Latvian choirs - an exciting and passionate sound !

Mazs bij' teva novadinis.Dziesmu svetki (Song Festival). Riga, Latvia. July 12, 200812,000 singers on the stage.

High quality: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhbwFSF9wFQ&fmt=18Latvian Nationwide Song and Dance Celebration, Opening Concert, July 6, 2008

Hope you hear singing like this during your visit, Gabriel.
                Sadly not, this time.
                Here's Imants Ramins' arrangement of Put vejini (which always makes me cry) from the same Song festival. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcyjnrmn5GM (The great Maris Sirmais obviously very moved at 2.16)

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                  • Dec 2010

"Pūt vējiņi" (which Gabriel Jackson has tagged in message 8) is a very emotional song for Latvians. The title means "Blow, winds" :

Blow, wind, and drive my little boat
                  On to Courland.
                  A Courland mother has promised me
                  Her own daughter - a skilful girl -
                  to be my bride.

She promised me - but broke her promise -
                  Said I drank too much
                  And rode my horse recklessly.

In which tavern did I drink all there was to drink ?
                  Which horse did I race too fast ?

I spent my own money when drinking,
                  Raced my own horse.

And I married the girl of my own choice -
                  And her mother and father never knew.

Comment

• mercia
                    • Nov 2010

yes, that first lady in blue brought a tear to my eye

Ouch !!
                    Last edited by mercia; 10-01-13, 12:25.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                      • Dec 2010

Another example of Baltic massed choirs, this time from Estonia:

Tuljak has been played since 1934 in every dance celebration (also song celebration). People have compared "Tuljak with Mu isamaa on minu arm, because both o...

I think it's wonderful to see so many singers, of all ages, in four part harmony, in a whole variety of national/folk costume - and what an animated conductor ! - and all watching him intently. and enjoying the whole experience immensely. I'd love to experience that sort of event but can't think of any real equivalent here.

I suppose it's a little akin to a Welsh rugby crowd at an home intenational singing Cwm Rhondda or Mae hen wlad - but I have the feeling that the Estonians could sing very many songs together, know the harmonies and most of the words, not just two or three songs/hymns.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                        • May 2011

Shopping in a cold and snowy Riga I'm very pleased to have up a couple of new CDs by the Radio Choir & two by Kamer... which aren't readily at home. Sone terrific music on thrm too

Comment

Working...
                        X