Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

A Sequence for Epiphany Wed, Jan 9th 2013

A Sequence for Epiphany Wed, Jan 9th 2013
    from the Chapel of Royal Holloway, University of London

Order of Service:

Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern (J.S. Bach)
    Hymn: Brightest and best (Broadwalk)
    These kynges came from the east (Barry Ferguson) (First broadcast)
    Reading: Isaiah 60:1-6
    Lift thine eyes (Mendelssohn)
    Reading: The Bright Field (R.S. Thomas)
    I wonder as I wander (Trad. Appalachian arr. Andrew Carter)
    Hymn: From the Eastern mountains (Cuddesdon)
    Reading: Matthew 2:1-12
    Videntes stellam (Poulenc)
    Reading: from Lancelot Andrewes' Sermon of 1620
    Seek him that maketh the seven stars (Jonathan Dove)
    Hymn: O worship the Lord in the beauty of holiness (Was lebet)

Organ voluntary: Dans le Verbe était la Vie et la Vie était la Lumière (Messiaen)

Organ Scholars: William Mason and Matthew Searles
    Director of Choral Music and College Organist: Rupert Gough
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Just looking at the (very agreeable) list of music and readings, one wonders how it will extend to a whole hour? Unless of course the final reading...

Reading: from Lancelot Andrewes' [who he?] Sermon of 1620
    ...turns out to be a sermon.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

At a guess, something along these lines:

"Ecce venerunt it is in the text; and indeed, not only the persons, ecce magi, but their very coming deserved an ecce. It is an ecce venerunt, theirs indeed, if we weigh it well, whence they came and whither. Whence? from the East, their own country. Whither? to Jerusalem, that was to them a strange land: that was somewhat. They came a long journey, no less than twelve days together. They came an uneasy journey, for their way lay through Arabia Petraea, and the craggy rock of it. And they came a dangerous journey, through Arabia Deserta too, and the black tents of Kedar there, then famous for their robberies, and even to this day. And they came now, at the worst season of the year. And all but to do worship at Christ's birth. So great account they made; so highly did they esteem their being at it, as they took all this great travel, and came all this long journey, and came it at this time. Stayed not their coming till the opening of the year, till they might have better weather and way, and longer days, and so more seasonable and fit to travel in. So desirous were they to come with the first, and to be there as soon as possibly they might; broke through all these difficulties, Et ecce venerunt, And behold, come they did.

And we, what excuse shall we have if we come not? If so short and so easy a way we come not, as from our chambers hither, not to be called away indeed? Shall not our non venerunt have an ecce, Behold, it was stepping but over the threshold, and yet they came not? [246/247]

And these were wise men, and never a whit the less wise for so coming; no never so truly wise in any thing they did, as in so coming. The Holy Spirit records them for wise, in capite libri, even in the beginning of the New Testament. Of Christ, when He came into the world, that is, when He was born, the Psalm saith, In the beginning of the Book it was writ of Him, He said, Ecce venio, Lo I come; of these in the same words, when they came to meet Him so born, it is said here in the beginning of the Gospel, Ecce venerunt, Behold they came.

And we, if we believe this, that this was their wisdom, if they and we be wise by one Spirit, by the same principles, we shall follow the same star, tread the same way, and so come at last whither they are happily gone before us. "
      Lancelot Andrewes 1620 Preached before King James in Whitehall.
      Last edited by DracoM; 05-01-13, 18:26.

Comment

• Simon

Wow! I've never come across this before. Thanks Draco.

What stunning English: "They came an uneasy journey, for their way lay through Arabia Petraea, and the craggy rock of it." But it's all magnificent. What a discovery!

Comment

• decantor
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post

What stunning English: "They came an uneasy journey, for their way lay through Arabia Petraea, and the craggy rock of it." But it's all magnificent. What a discovery!
          Please forgive if I state the obvious, but this is surely the same Lancelot Andrewes who was (sort of) charged to oversee the translation of the King James' Version, and who directly led the panel translating the opening books of the OT. I've often suspected he was a boring O.F., but when it comes to composing English........

Comment

• Simon

Unlikely to be any other, I think.

But I've never heard of this sermon before. I expect I shall think of the bit I quoted each time I travel through Winnats Pass

or along the Staffs border.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Reminder: today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Some very enjoyable singing, with a soprano line that wasn't afraid to soar. Good piece by Barry Ferguson. All was very nicely judged and directed, my only quibble being that Videntes Stellam was a little slow for my taste. It's as if the wise men were concentrating so hard not to let their camels tread in anything nasty (eg the scrunch on 'Myrrham') that they lost their sense of wonder. But that is being picky. The service was spun out to an hour partly by a lot of verbiage...eg a mini theology lecture associated with many of the readings and an overlong prologue. The chaplain's (?) habit of dropping the pitch of her voice at the end of each phrase became a tad wearing after a while. The danger of a 'hymn sandwich' format is that it can lack shape and liturgical integrity. Hope we're back to CE next week!

Comment

• chitreb
                  • Nov 2012

Journey of the Magi

Originally posted by Simon View Post

Just in case any of the august members of this forum haven't come across TS Eliot's Journey of the Magi here is a link:

It is inspired by the Andrewes sermons of 1620 and 1622 which can be accessed from here: http://www.luminarium.org/sevenlit/a...s/lancebib.htm

Comment

• ardcarp
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

T.S. Eliot's JotM, fine though it is, seems to be the default reading for any carol service that wants to depart from the Biblical text. Hard to imagine anyone not knowing it...but thanks anyway chitreb.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

................And usually read as if it was an extract from a Lonely Planet guide.

Comment

• Simon

I caught this earlier today. Sounded rather pleasant to me, with an interesting variety of music and readings. Only bit I didn't particularly enjoy was the voluntary. Thanks to all involved for a very worthwhile sequence.

Comment

• chrisjstanley
                          • Dec 2010

In all the Epiphany stuff this year there seems a lamentable absence of Bull if you get my drift............

bws
                          Chris S

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

No Scheidt either....

Comment

Working...
                            X