Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oldcrofter
    • Dec 2010

So, we have a talentless tenth-rate mediocrity and cult-figure whose music has no content or merit and to be avoided, a stealer of other composers' musical ideas, who looks like a surfer, is wealthy - and possibly worst of all, blond ! I mean, how many blond composers can you think of ?!

OK, so he's youngish (early forties) and very popular with a wide variety of young singers. I saw him conducting the National Youth Choir and girls' choir a few months ago after he'd spent the earlier part of the day with them in a choral workshop. He has charisma, energy and the ability to enthuse. I believe those young people were excited to be working with him. He has composed music which many choirs respond to with enthusiasm.

I leave it to far better qualified musicians than I am to debate the qualities and demerits of his work. Like AscribeUntoTheLad (message 14) I'd also be interested to know which
    music he has stolen and from whom.

Perhaps one or more of the choral directors of Polyphony, Exultate, Ex Cathedra, Tewkesbury Abbey Schola Cantorum, New College Oxford and Sidney Sussex College Cambridge - or, indeed, any other choir who have sung some Whitacre - could say why they chose to include some Whitacre in their repertoire. Why would they spend time on a tenth-rate talentless plagiarist ?

I haven't sung any Whitacre but would be pleased to give it a try if any of the choirs I sing with were to perform something by him.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
      On my limited acquaintance with his music I am afraid I have found it to be utterly vacant of content and merit .
      Certainly that's the impression I have - and I haven't heard much. A choral Einaudi?

Comment

• WmByrd

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
        Certainly that's the impression I have - and I haven't heard much. A choral Einaudi?
        Very much so. There's no point in going into much detail, as Whitacre fans will remain so. Morten Lauridsen is the most obvious source of material. Perhaps you might consider that choirs will perform his output because it has a fan base and in these straitened times they have to swallow a bitter (albeit saccharine-coated) musical pill.

Comment

Working...
        X