Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maggie
    • Sep 2024

What a year for contemporary composers. Surely there’s been nothing like it since broadcasts of Choral Evensong started back in 1926. A list of contemporary composers whose choral works have been broadcast this year in the Choral Evensong slots (including the John’s and King’s Carol services) runs as follows:

Thomas Adès
    Richard Allain
    Julian Anderson
    Richard Baker
    Sally Beamish
    David Bednall
    Richard Rodney Bennett
    David Bevan
    Judith Bingham x 2
    Christopher Brown
    Diana Burrell
    Robert Busiakiewicz
    Hilary Campbell
    Richard Causton
    Brian Chapple
    Phillip Cooke
    David Cooper
    Mervyn Cousins
    Neil Cox x 2
    Jonathan Dove x 3
    Andrew Downes
    Philip Duffy
    Michael Finnissy
    Alexander Goehr
    Howard Goodall
    Patrick Gowers
    Francis Grier x 2
    Bo Hansson
    Grayston Ives x 2
    Francis Jackson x 2
    Gabriel Jackson x 4
    Richard Lloyd x 3
    James Long
    Pawel Lukaszewski x 2
    James MacMillan x 3
    Matthew Martin x 4
    Peter Maxwell Davies
    John McCabe
    Vytautas Miskinis
    Philip Moore x 5
    Nico Muhly
    Nigel Osborne
    Roxanna Panufnik
    Arvo Pärt
    Joseph Phibbs
    Julian Philips
    Anthony Piccolo
    Francis Pott x 4
    Ed Rex
    Christopher Robinson
    John Rutter x 3
    David Sawer
    Richard Shephard x 2
    Andrew Simpson
    Howard Skempton x 2
    Philip Stopford
    Giles Swayne
    Dobrinka Tabakova
    John Tavener x 2
    Guy Turner
    Carl Vine
    Michael Walsh

62 composers. What an amazing list, and what a tribute to the liveliness of the contemporary church composing scene, and to the numerous choral directors who encourage these composers by scheduling their music on a regular basis. And of course the Winner is...

Good old Humphrey Clucas, with SEVEN outings for his iconic Responses!
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Well done for compiling the list! Yes, it's good to know people are still putting pen to paper (or fingers to the mouse). The Choirbook for the Queen obviously helped in getting broadcast performances. The list includes some very established names that 'history' has already decided are going to be around for a while. Interesting to see what filters will be applied by zeitgeists yet to come. (Sorry, a clumsy way of putting it!.)

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Would be interesting to know if R3 outside CE could boast such a catalogue of contemporary writing.

Comment

• teamsaint
        • Nov 2010

What a great list, and thanks for compiling it. Certainly points to a healthy scene.

If anybody would care to recommend a few out of that list for a listen(if they can be found on youtube etc), no doubt part timers like me would be grateful.
        I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• decantor
          • Dec 2010

What startling statistics - thank you, maggie. They are all the more remarkable when one considers that there are fewer than 62 broadcasts in the year. Since I imagine many of the works in question will have been commissioned, some credit must also go to the churches that light the fire.

On a more personal note, if I may....... not having missed any such broadcast, I must have heard all those offerings, and I can count on the fingers of one hand (I think) all the occasions I've been disappointed. The achievement in composition - and in performance - should make us grateful for so inspirational a stream of liturgical music.

[Edit: such a pity, in the circumstances, that Jonathan Harvey's name does not appear.]

Comment

• decantor
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
            If anybody would care to recommend a few out of that list for a listen(if they can be found on youtube etc), no doubt part timers like me would be grateful.
            ts, I've PM'ed you with a suggestion.

Comment

Working...
            X