X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ArpSchnitger
    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
    Was I right about some young-ish voices in the ATB?
    Originally posted by DracoM View Post
    Agree about younger sounding voices on back desks
    Correct, the average age of the back row appeared quite low.

Having listened back to the recording, I was, probably not surprisingly, aware of rather more nuances in the organ accompaniments when present live, than in the recording, but otherwise I think the radio listener got a fairly true reflection of the 'live' experience.
    In the much discussed Coll Reg Gloria, I think the lack of a 'con belto' approach worked well; I raised an eyebrow on the last chord, but actually it worked well in the building.

Comment

• chitreb
      • Nov 2012

I must be in a minority of one here but I thought the singing sounded "lazy" at times - as if they didn't really want to be there and were just going through the motions. Also, I thought the tenor solo was too loud relative to the chorus - probably an engineer adjusting the balance too much in favour of his microphone that live listeners in the cathedral would not have experienced. Notwithstanding these comments I did enjoy the service. It was also nice to see a picture on the R3 website that actually related to the broadcast rather than being an old shot of choristers (in Boston Lincs I understand?). Enjoyed the Jackson too. Are they related at all - Francis and Gabriel that is? I have just been listening to GJ's St Asaph Toccata. Stunning.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
        • May 2011

Originally posted by chitreb View Post
        Enjoyed the Jackson too. Are they related at all - Francis and Gabriel that is? I have just been listening to GJ's St Asaph Toccata. Stunning.
        No, we're not. Glad you enjoyed St Asaph though...Michael Bonaventure is amazing (I assume he was playing?).

Comment

• chitreb
          • Nov 2012

Yes it was Michael Bonaventure on the St Mary's Edinburgh CD.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
            • May 2011

Originally posted by chitreb View Post
            Yes it was Michael Bonaventure on the St Mary's Edinburgh CD.
            He's also recorded it on this http://sfzmusic.eu/cd-bonaventurevo.html (another great Michael Bonaventure recording - that whole series is very good, and very interesting)

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

but I thought the singing sounded "lazy" at times - as if they didn't really want to be there and were just going through the motions.
              Well, things strike people in different ways! I think I can safely say that the frisson of a live broadcast seldom induces ennui in the participants.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

..........................and for me it certainly did not on this occasion either.

Comment

Working...
                X