X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Petrushka
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
    I don't know if it has been mentioned, but I'd like to put in a word for Paul McCreesh's spectacular "Mass for Christmas Morning" by Praetorius on Archiv.
    This isn't normally the kind of music I generally listen to but those Amazon reviews make me want to buy it right now. Too late for this Christmas but I'll make sure I get it for next year.
    "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
      I don't know if it has been mentioned, but I'd like to put in a word for Paul McCreesh's spectacular "Mass for Christmas Morning" by Praetorius on Archiv.
      Ditto here - the one cd that's always played in the morning. Everyone should have a copy!

Off topic I know but Ivan Hewitt has published his top 10 Christmas music, one of which I've never heard of: Victor Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony. Also listed are Finzi's Terra Pax (as mentioned above) and Poulenc's Quam Vidistris Pastores? which I also don't know.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Ditto here - the one cd that's always played in the morning. Everyone should have a copy!

Off topic I know but Ivan Hewitt has published his top 10 Christmas music, one of which I've never heard of: Victor Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony. Also listed are Finzi's Terra Pax (as mentioned above) and Poulenc's Quam Vidistris Pastores? which I also don't know.

Victor Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony (which I listened to yesterday) is a nice 4 mvt symphony literally completely based on carols, well composed and orchestrated, though its initial rhythmic figure pervades most of the music and might be a bit irritating. (H-H emigrated to South Africa, making him a one-piece-composer over here)
        Poulenc's piece is one of of the 4 Motets pour le Temps de Noël, which I think you might know after all.

Comment

• jean
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

...one of which I've never heard of: Victor Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony...
          Then you weren't listening to Children's Hour in the 1950s, and the magical adaptation of Masefield's The Box of Delights!

I believe they used it for the TV adaptation, too, many years later.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Anna, Hely-Hutchinson joins Mass for Christmas Morning in my list of 'can do withouts'. I have it. Do you want it?

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Padraig View Post
              Anna, Hely-Hutchinson joins Mass for Christmas Morning in my list of 'can do withouts'. I have it. Do you want it?
              I've never heard of it - or indeed the composer - until I read Ivan Hewitt's list this morning Padraig!! I'll have a search and see if it can be sampled somewhere on line first, Roehre's review doesn't inspire .... and you certainly don't favour it!

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

I've never heard of it - or indeed the composer - until I read Ivan Hewitt's list this morning Padraig!! I'll have a search and see if it can be sampled somewhere on line first, Roehre's review doesn't inspire .... and you certainly don't favour it!
                Victor Hely-Hutchinson (1901-1947) (GB)Carol Symphony (1927)Dir : Gavin Sutherland1- Allegro energico (4.11) 2- Scherzo -- Allegro molto moderato (6.06)3- An...

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  Crikey ferney - just 5 second in and I realise I do know it!! <doh> It always reminds me of a soundtrack from a 1940s Ealing Studios film.

So, Padraig, thank you so much for your kind offer - but no thanks!

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

Crikey ferney - just 5 second in and I realise I do know it!! <doh> It always reminds me of a soundtrack from a 1940s Ealing Studios film.

So, Padraig, thank you so much for your kind offer - but no thanks!
                    You're welcome Anna.
                    Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• MickyD
                      • Nov 2010

Now here's a nice antidote to the sugariness of the Hely-Hutchinson...Bax's 'Christmas Eve' Symphonic poem, which I had never heard until today.

Christmas Eve (1912)A symphonic poem by British composer Arnold Bax (1883-1953), which he composed while staying at Glean na Smól in County Dublin in Ireland...

Comment

• MickyD
                        • Nov 2010

This offering from Rimsky-Korsakov is rather pleasant, too...

Christmas Eve (Suite)I. Christmas NightII. Ballet of the StarsIII. Witches' Sabbath and Ride on the Devil's BackIV. PolonaiseV. Vakula and the SlippersA thri...

Comment

• teamsaint
                          • Nov 2010

Been enjoying Lutoslawski's 20 Polish Carols this year.
                          They have a lovely seasonal feel.

There are some on youtube, and the full set are no doubt available in the Naxos library
                          I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                            Been enjoying Lutoslawski's 20 Polish Carols this year.
                            They have a lovely seasonal feel.

There are some on youtube, and the full set are no doubt available in the Naxos library
                            I have that cd too and have enjoyed it. I must dig it out today.

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                              • Nov 2010

Aw don't be too harsh on Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony,it's nice.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
                                Aw don't be too harsh on Hely-Hutchinson's Carol Symphony,it's nice.
                                It is (even including my caveat)

Comment

Working...
                                X