X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

One of my very favourite modern settings of a medieval macaronic text is Walton's Make we joy now in this fest.

Comment

• clive heath

responding to S_A:
      yes indeed, I did go to the show with my friend Bronwen and I have just found my LP as well as the Missa Luba from the Congo ( a section was notably used in "If"), Misa Criolla and Navidad Nuestra from the forces on the you-tube item. I'll get processing the Gospel LP.

responding to padraig; sorry but the track listing does not include your Handel suggestion.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Chris Watson View Post
        I couldn't possibly choose a favourite, but the Mathias A babe is born was definitely a highlight when we sang it in Durham. It might be that it had something to do with the bombardes on that organ though!
        The opening piece of the latest BBCMM CD it is too.

Comment

• gradus
          • Nov 2010

Thanks for the excerpt Cali, a beautiful sound and sentiment.

Comment

• Padraig
            • Feb 2013

Originally posted by clive heath View Post
            responding to padraig; sorry but the track listing does not include your Handel suggestion.
            Thank you c h.

Comment

• MickyD
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
              Thanks for the excerpt Cali, a beautiful sound and sentiment.
              I echo that...ashamed to say I don't recall this piece, but I am now converted!

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                Host
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                I echo that...ashamed to say I don't recall this piece, but I am now converted!
                "...the isle is full of noises,
                Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• clive heath

Black Nativity is up and running for a limited period only and not for general consumption in that it is not accessible from my site. You will find it here

Clive Heath transcribes 78 records onto CD and gets rid of the crackle.

I hadn't listened to it for a while and was struck by some similarities with Aretha's "Lady Soul" which is not unexpected!!

Comment

• Padraig
                    • Feb 2013

I'm enjoying this, c h, and as I listen the name Madeleine Bell comes to mind, as the Handel aria singer I mentioned. Anything ringing?

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

If I say I'm walking in the air, don't get me wrong. It's because I've just heard my favourite Christmas music sung live, Britten's Choral Variations A Boy was Born. It is not often done because of its challenging vocal writing, and until recently it was seldom tackled by amateur choirs. But on Saturday night it was, by Leicestershire Chorale under their inspired director, Tom Williams. The children's choir was provided by Finchley Children's Music Group under another inspired director, Grace Rossiter. FCMG also did my second favourite Christmas piece, A Ceremony of Carols, so that's why I'm walking in the air. Such a shame it was not on Radio 3 (a) to share it with you and (b) to legitimate this post!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Here you go

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

I'll get my coat

This is more like it

Available on DVD from www.digitalclassics.co.uk and all major retailers.This recording of Jennifer Bate, one of the foremost international organists of our d...

Comment

• MickyD
                          • Nov 2010

Try this charming, intimate little Christmas piece by Charpentier, a vintage recording from Christie and Les Arts Florissants. I love it.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by MickyD View Post
                            Try this charming, intimate little Christmas piece by Charpentier, a vintage recording from Christie and Les Arts Florissants. I love it.
                            So do I

Long owned and oft-played on CD
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• MickyD
                              • Nov 2010

At the other end of the scale, it doesn't get much grander and joyful than this!

Michael Praetorius (1571-1621)Polyhymnia caduceatrix et panegyrica (1619)'In dulci jubilo'Gabrieli Consort & PlayersPaul McCreesh

Comment

• mrbouffant
                                • Aug 2011

Someone mentioned the Novello 'Sing Nowell' book. The Kenneth Leighton arrangement of O Leave Your Sheep in there is absolutely masterful !

Comment

Working...
                                X