X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keraulophone
    • Nov 2010

Jonathan Harvey RIP

We have lost one of the finest composers of our day, whose original voice communicated itself more directly to the listening ear than the efforts of many of his contemporaries. I was fortunate to have witnessed some of his period as Professor of Music at Sussex University, though his influence was far-reaching. The first piece of his that many church musicians discovered was 'I Love the Lord', a haunting setting that is pervading my mind as I write. RIP and RIG.

This Guardian article is worth a look:
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jan/26/jonathan-harvey-not-very-british

[Ed : I've merged two threads posted almost simultaneously - ff]
    Last edited by french frank; 05-12-12, 19:53. Reason: Threads merged
  • Gabriel Jackson
    • May 2011

Jonathan Harvey

Jonathan Harvey, one of the greatest and most important contributors to the choral repertoire in recent times, both in his work for virtuoso professional choirs and in his liturgical music, died today. Very sad news.

Comment

• decantor
      • Dec 2010

Indeed - especially sad that he will add no more to the corpus of often challenging but always deeply spiritual music that he provided for the choral liturgy. We must be grateful for his legacy. RIP.

Edit: I first heard I love the Lord in Winchester Cathedral in (I think) 1978. It was overwhelming: I blessed my guardian angel for leading me there at that moment, and the composer for his inspiration. It remains as probably my favourite anthem from the 20th century.
      Last edited by decantor; 05-12-12, 20:06. Reason: Addition

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

That is very sad. No great age by modern standards. Only 73. I remember vividly that great occasion in Winchester Cathedral (where his son was a chorister) when his Mortuos Plango was part of the SCF (1970s?) The bell harmonics he used can be seen in Wiki:

I've sung in two great choral classics (IMO) of the 20th century, Veni Sancte Spiritus and I Love the Lord (known in the biz as 'I love this chord'). I love the way these pieces start off 'straight' and gradually seem to disintegrate before coming together again. Sorry if that's a clumsy way of putting it, but my memories are coming in a jumble because of the news.

Also my dad (violin) used to play with his dad (piano) a very long time ago.

Comment

• Roehre

Very sorry to learn of Harvey's passing away.
          Ill for some time, but nevertheless for me unexpectedly.

RIP

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Mortuous plango seems to have been written in 1980.
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Very sad indeed
              one of the most original and inspiring composers I have encountered
              and a truly wonderful man

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
                Very sad indeed
                one of the most original and inspiring composers I have encountered
                and a truly wonderful man
                Sad to hear of his passing, even if it was not that much of a surprise given his deteriorating health in recent years. Only a day or so ago one of the contributors over at r3ok.com was reporting performing in Speakings recently, (not, of course, the performance linked to).

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Mortuous plango seems to have been written in 1980.
                  Sorry...I was guessing. Must look out the programme.

Comment

• teamsaint
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                    Sorry...I was guessing. Must look out the programme.
                    Had a bit of time on my hands this afternoon.
                    I think we sang some Harvey in my time at Salisbury in the early 70's, but I was sure it wasn't that....not a title you forget easily.
                    Very sad news.
                    I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
                      • Dec 2010

One composer I would dearly loved to have met and conversed with about his spiritual values - he was a great advocate for Stockhausen yet his creative trajectory seemed to span Howells, serialism and Spectralism - and indeed his views on contemporary music in general - the latter as easily placing this thread on his sad passing on the new music board as here.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
                        One composer I would dearly loved to have met and conversed with about his spiritual values - he was a great advocate for Stockhausen yet his creative trajectory seemed to span Howells, serialism and Spectralism - and indeed his views on contemporary music in general - the latter as easily placing this thread on his sad passing on the new music board as here.
                        He was part of a fascinating discussion about music and spirituality at the Stockhausen Festival at the RFH a few years ago
                        such a refreshing change from the dogmatic nonsense that seems to engulf the subject at times
                        and a really interesting man to meet

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
                          • Nov 2010

Very sad news indeed.
                          RIP.

Comment

• amo

A great loss. A magician. I love his music and will certainly catch Wagner Dream at WNO next year.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Oh.. the piece was [I]definitely[/I ]Mortuos! And in Winchester. Speakers and tape and all that. It made a big impression. It may not have been a SCF event tho.

Comment

Working...
                              X