X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna
    • Sep 2024

Your favourite Angels

It seems, next Sunday 23rd, Aled Jones in The Choir will investigate favourite choral music involving Angels. That's a pretty wide remit I guess from Angels from the Realms to Hildegard von Bingen.

So, what's your fave involving angels?
  • Vile Consort
    • Nov 2010

Messiaen's, of course!

Comment

• Magnificat

Factum est Silentium where St Michael sorts out Draco

VCC

Comment

• Wolsey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Magnificat View Post
        Factum est Silentium where St Michael sorts out Draco
        He also gets sorted out (in English) in Neil Cox's And there was war in heaven which is my nomination, together with John Tavener's Angels.

Comment

• Roehre

Crumb: Black Angels

Comment

• decantor
            • Dec 2010

I don't think I have a 'fave' angel piece, so Aled will owe me nothing. But I would still beg a favour of him. Please, no Christmas angels. That season is still almost 48 weeks away.

Comment

• David Underdown

On the theme of Michael and All Angels, there's a little known 1937 radio cantata by Britten "The Company of Heaven", for two speakers, tenor soprano and chorus (some fo the choruses are spoken). There's a recording with Britten conducting the ECO, sounds samples available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Britten-Compan.../dp/B00006ANK6, there's a review of a Birmingham Festival Chorus performance at http://www.bfcs.org.uk/Reviews.htm. I was lucky enough to take part in a 2009 performance for the Bedford Park Festival with Patrick Malahide and Elizabeth McGovern as the speakers http://www.smaaa.org.uk/festival/BPF2009leaflet.pdf

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Agree about the Crumb - fantastic piece. But he ain't ging to play it as it's not choral. Just sung in a fantastic new piece by Roland Fudge in which bits of Milton's Satan adn Michael collide with the Bible and some of it is underscored by chorus, terrific bits of rock band and huge orchestra. Very exciting.

Comment

• Tapiola
                  • Jan 2011

"The Parable of the Old Man and the Young" from Britten's 'War Requiem'.

Comment

• salymap
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

The Angel in Gerontius. She [nearly] always has such a comforting contralto voice

Comment

• Anna

R3 have now put the playlist on their website. You can read it here
                      Aled Jones turns his attention heavenward to find choral music with an angelic theme.

Comment

• subcontrabass
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                        R3 have now put the playlist on their website. You can read it here
                        http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00xn9xz
                        A quick trawl through shows very few pieces with visible angelic links. I can only identify four that have such a link, and in the case of the last piece it is simply the name of the author of the text.

Comment

• Anna

I thought the playlist was a bit dismal, but I guess they have to pitch it to the average listener of The Choir. Who is the average listener to that programme I wonder?

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

What an extraordinary playlist! Even bizarre - given the subject, and given that AJ earnestly begged our response. Did listeners really emial in for such choices? Do they know what an angel is? Genuinely flummoxed.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                              Late Member
                              • Dec 2010

They could have gone the whole hog and played Wylkynson's Salve regina from the Eton Choirbook, where each of the nine parts is named after one of the choirs of angels - Seraphim, Cherubim etc.
                              My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

Working...
                              X