X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • decantor
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Zauberfloete View Post
    Thanks to both Simon and Keraulophone. Now I know what to ask Santa to bring this year.
    If you are also interested in how the organ achieves its effects, Zauberfloete, may I suggest that, as well as negotiating with Santa, you also use the leverage of a bottle of scotch (or whatever) to persuade a local organist to demonstrate his instrument for half an hour, stop by stop. Your ear would then rapidly detect how the length of pipe (16, 8, 4, etc), its material (wood, metal), its speaking arrangement (flue or reed), and other such factors determine the sound, and how all these work in combination. Even a smallish parish church organ would probably provide an adequate demonstration of the basic principles. If you were lucky enough to light on an organ anorak, I'm sure you would find it a fascinating exercise.
    Last edited by decantor; 23-11-12, 22:10.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by decantor View Post
      If you are also interested in how the organ achieves its effects, Zauberfloete, may I suggest that, as well as negotiating with Santa, you also use the leverage of a bottle of scotch (or whatever) to persuade a local organist to demonstrate his instrument for half an hour, stop by stop. Your ear would then rapidly detect the how the length of pipe (16, 8, 4, etc), its material (wood, metal), its speaking arrangement (flue or reed), and other such factors determine the sound, and how all these work in combination. Even a smallish parish church organ would probably provide an adequate demonstration of the basic principles. If you were lucky enough to light on an organ anorak, I'm sure you would find it a fascinating exercise.
      There are an awful lot of us, organ anoraks, here....

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Thanks to both Simon and Keraulophone. Now I know what to ask Santa to bring this year.
        You are most welcome! And here is the great man himself in recital with a duet arr. of The Rite of Spring to finish! (mind blowing) La Joie de Latry - merveilleux!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• decantor
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
          You are most welcome! And here is the great man himself in recital with a duet arr. of The Rite of Spring to finish! (mind blowing) La Joie de Latry - merveilleux!
          Simon B, a thousand thanks for that link - merveilleux indeed. The Vierne you can keep. The Leguay (a name new to me - a debtor of Ligeti?) was fascinating. The Sacré kept me up well past my bedtime, and left me aching to find a partner and have a go - after all, they made it look very straightforward and endlessly exciting. Oh well, never mind - an hour of my life well spent in the company of genius.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Originally posted by decantor View Post
            Simon B, a thousand thanks for that link - merveilleux indeed. The Vierne you can keep. The Leguay (a name new to me - a debtor of Ligeti?) was fascinating. The Sacré kept me up well past my bedtime, and left me aching to find a partner and have a go - after all, they made it look very straightforward and endlessly exciting. Oh well, never mind - an hour of my life well spent in the company of genius.
            You're welcome! And I gather from the peck on the cheek before the Stravinsky that Shin is his paramour!

Far apart from the brilliant playing, the picture quality is amazing - I just looove You Tube!

Comment

• Zauberfloete

You're welcome! And I gather from the peck on the cheek before the Stravinsky that Shin is his paramour!

Far apart from the brilliant playing, the picture quality is amazing - I just looove You Tube!
              I've just finished watching this and I have to say that I thought it was absolutely fantastic!! I can't imagine that "Rite" could sound any better on the organ than that. The colours almost exactly match the orchestral version, I think. The instrument itself is superb - what a sound!! Don't Latry and Shin play amazingly well together? There's definitely a connection of some kind there ... Once again, thank you for introducing me to this music. I'm hooked!

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Don't Latry and Shin play amazingly well together? There's definitely a connection of some kind there ... Once again, thank you for introducing me to this music. I'm hooked!
                Excellent - another convert! Yes, there is certainly something symbiotic about their playing! I'm equally amazed by the nifty camera work and crystalline picture, and all for the price of my internet connection - hurrah!

Comment

• Wolsey
                  • Nov 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bntEv...ure=g-high-rec
                  I was fortunate to have been in the audience at this performance which took place at the RC Basilica of St Bavo, Haarlem on the afternoon of 28 July.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
                    I was fortunate to have been in the audience at this performance which took place at the RC Basilica of St Bavo, Haarlem on the afternoon of 28 July.
                    Wow - lucky you!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                      ... I seem to have on my shelves - Mahler 5 : David Briggs, organ of Gloucester cathedral.

Can't say I play it very often. I prefer my Mahler symphonies in transcriptions for piano duet ( nrs 6 & 7 : piano duo Zenker/Trenkner : musikproduction Dabringhaus und Grimm ). ( I can also recommend Mahler's transcription of Bruckner 3 for piano duet : Trenkner/Speidel, also on musikproduction Dabringhaus und Grimm )
                      That recording, i dont think that the organ is suitable for that muisc, or wether David Brigg's arrangment was a good one, i am not sure.

I have Pictures at n Exhibition played by piano, brass ensemble, brass band and orchestra, so this should be good for organ. I also have Die Meistersinger Overture, Finlandia, Light Cavalry, Academic Festivalk Overture, etc!
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

If you were lucky enough to light on an organ anorak, I'm sure you would find it a fascinating exercise.
                        .....or maybe not.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bntEv...ure=g-high-rec
                          LOve the Rite of Spring transcription

Comment

• Contre Bombarde

There is a fine performance of the Final from The Firebird Suite, arranged by Maurice Besly, on Simon Johnson's DVD from St. Pauls' Cathedral. It shows off the West End firing squad quite nicely...

Comment

Working...
                            X