X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Zauberfloete
    • Sep 2024

Organ Transcriptions

Last night, I went to an organ recital where two of the pieces played were transcriptions of (1) "Pictures at an Exhibition" and (2) the March from "The Love of Three Oranges", both arranged by Jean Guillou, of whom I know nothing. I really love organ music but I know virtually zilch about transcriptions (the only ones I really know are the organ versions of the Coronation March from Meyerbeer's "Le Prophete" and the "Meistersinger" overture, which I think are great - I've no idea who arranged them, though).

I was amazed by the diversity of sound produced by the organ in these transcriptions; the colours were extraordinary. I just wondered if any organists could shed any light on how the stops combine to make certain sounds. I'm sorry if this is a bit vague but I was so entranced with Guillou's arrangement of "Pictures at an Exhibition" that I now prefer it to the orchestral version. It sounded fiendishly difficult but fabulous! I'd also like to know if there are any other transcriptions you could recommend.
  • Contre Bombarde

Jean Guillou is titulaire of St Eustache in Paris, which has a huge organ by Van den Heuvel. He is known for his compositions, improvisations and arrangements.

Without hearing the recital or knowing the organ you mention it would be difficult to say how any particular sounds were produced and the organist you heard most probably had his own ideas on the sounds he wanted and knew that he could find on his organ, but Jean is fond of unusual combinations of stops and indeed odd stops; he specified a Grande Neuvième (1 7/9') for the Grand Choeur (Manual IV) at St Eustache. It's well worth digging up the specification of this organ from the web and browsing through it.

Edwin Lemare's transcriptions are first rate - mostly a bit difficult to play but rewarding. If you like transcriptions I think that you would enjoy Thomas Trotter's recent DVD and CD from Birmingham Town Hall; a great display of effortless virtuosity and memory. Don't listen to those who say that transcriptions have no place in the organists's repertoire; organs in town halls, amongst which are some of the best instruments in the country, were built for transcriptions of orchestral works.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

One for scottycelt:

Though "not currently available" via the BIS site, amazon.co.uk have it.

Comment

• Zauberfloete

Thanks for the helpful info. I think that all the technical stuff is way over my head, unfortunately. Not being an organist myself, I find the whole array of stops completely bewildering but I just love the sound! I'll do a bit of digging on Edwin Lemare, too, as I've not come across his name before either.

The Thomas Trotter CD sounds excellent and I'll certainly be buying it. I first came to love organ music when I was a student in Leeds, many moons ago, and I used to go to the free organ recitals at the Town Hall there every fortnight. (I'm pretty sure that Thomas Trotter was one of the organists I heard, actually.)

Comment

• Zauberfloete

Thank you, Simon. That one also looks good. Do I go for that Latry or the Trotter ...?

Comment

• Keraulophone
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
            One for scottycelt:

It's also on YT in separate movements if you wish to sample... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhCvkJK9xjA&feature=relmfu and follow the links to the other movts.

But poor old Anton to have had this done to his greatest work, one of the pinnacles of human achievement.

Comment

• Keraulophone
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Zauberfloete View Post
              Thank you, Simon. That one also looks good. Do I go for that Latry or the Trotter ...?
              You need both!

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Difficult - both great artists - get both! The sound on the DG disc is incredible and Latry's playing is in a league of its own. (A personal view) Enjoy!

Comment

• MrGongGong
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Contre Bombarde View Post
                  Edwin Lemare's transcriptions are first rate - mostly a bit difficult to play but rewarding. If you like transcriptions I think that you would enjoy Thomas Trotter's recent DVD and CD from Birmingham Town Hall; a great display of effortless virtuosity and memory. Don't listen to those who say that transcriptions have no place in the organists's repertoire; organs in town halls, amongst which are some of the best instruments in the country, were built for transcriptions of orchestral works.
                  Thomas is a great enthusiast for these things in my experience, not my personal taste but an important strand of musical life in the UK.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                    It's also on YT in separate movements if you wish to sample... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jhCvkJK9xjA&feature=relmfu and follow the links to the other movts.

But poor old Anton to have had this done to his greatest work, one of the pinnacles of human achievement.
                    You'll get no argument from me there. I thought it quite dire,, but it seemed relevant to the thread.

Comment

• Simon

No discussion of transcriptions would be complete, I don't think, without mentioning the great WT Best, who transcribed a massive amount of music for organ in the 19th century. He was himself a first-rate organist, and some of his transcriptions are absolutely tremendous.

Although I generally prefer things played as originally intended, I believe that the organ in particular has the range to allow people who know what they are doing to create good stuff from non-organ originals, so I think there's room for both. Of the ones I've heard fairly recently, I particularly enjoyed Simon Bell's performance of the Best/Mendelssohn St. Paul overture on his "350 Years of Organ Masterworks" set. I haven't yet heard the Bruckner one mentioned above.

Comment

• vinteuil
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                        One for scottycelt:

[Bruckner 8, Lionel Rogg]

... I seem to have on my shelves - Mahler 5 : David Briggs, organ of Gloucester cathedral.

Can't say I play it very often. I prefer my Mahler symphonies in transcriptions for piano duet ( nrs 6 & 7 : piano duo Zenker/Trenkner : musikproduction Dabringhaus und Grimm ). ( I can also recommend Mahler's transcription of Bruckner 3 for piano duet : Trenkner/Speidel, also on musikproduction Dabringhaus und Grimm )

Comment

• Zauberfloete

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
                          Difficult - both great artists - get both! The sound on the DG disc is incredible and Latry's playing is in a league of its own. (A personal view) Enjoy!
                          Thanks to both Simon and Keraulophone. Now I know what to ask Santa to bring this year.

Comment

• Op. XXXIX
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                            ... I seem to have on my shelves - Mahler 5 : David Briggs, organ of Gloucester cathedral.

Can't say I play it very often. I prefer my Mahler symphonies in transcriptions for piano duet
                            David Briggs is tops, though he does seem to love his large scale transcriptions. The last time I heard him in recital he played Tchaikovsky 5. Well done as expected, but ultimately a bit tedious. The Franck C major Fantasy in the first half was far more satisfying musically.

Re Mahler transcriptions, there is one by Hermann Behn for two pianos of the 2nd Symphony. I have not heard a recording, but I have the score and it looks to be a fine piece of work!

Comment

Working...
                            X