• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Choir works on CD Review: 17 November

I thought this might be of interest to some of the regular posters on this board

CD Review

11.15am
    Byrd - The Great Service
    BYRD: The Great Service; Praise our Lord all ye Gentiles; Unto the hills mine eyes I lift; Make ye joy to God all the earth; Turn our captivity; This Day Christ was Born
    The Cardinall’s Musick, Robert Quinney (organ), Andrew Carwood (conductor)
    HYPERION CDA67937 (CD)

Where late the sweet birds sang
    BYRD: Christe qui Lux; Domine Quis Habitat; Quomodo cantabimus; De lamentatione
    PARSONS: Ave Maria; Domine quis habitabit?
    WHITE: Lamentations a 5; Christe qui lux es et dies IV
    Magnificat, Philip Cave (conductor)
    LINN CKD417 (Hybrid SACD)

Pater Noster - A Choral Reflection on The Lord’s Prayer
    PLAINSONG: Pater noster
    SCHUTZ: Die Himmel erzahlen die Ehre Gottes
    ZIELENSKI: Benedicimus Deum coeli
    DES PRES: Pater noster
    HARRIS: Holy is the True Light
    PALESTRINA: Sanctus from Missa Papae Marcelli
    SCHUTZ: Vater unser
    BYRD: Vigilate
    HASSLER: Cantate Domino
    STRAVINSKY: Pater noster
    POULENC: Quatre Petites Prieres de François d’Assise
    LASSUS: Domine Dominus noster
    DURUFLE: Notre Pere
    WOOD: Oculi omnium
    PALESTRINA: Ego sum panis vivus
    TAVENER: The Lord’s Prayer
    PURCELL: Remember not Lord our offences
    VICTORIA: Popule meus
    BERNSTEIN: The Lord’s Prayer
    FARRANT: Lord, for Thy tender mercy’s sake
    LASSUS: Ad te levavi
    PLAINSONG: Pater noster
    The King’s Singers: David Hurley (countertenor), Timothy Wayne-Wright (countertenor), Paul Phoenix (tenor), Christopher Bruerton (baritone), Christopher Gabbitas (baritone), Jonathan Howard (bass)
    NAXOS 8572987 (CD budget)

Passion and Resurrection - Music inspired by Holy Week
    CORNYSH: Woefully arrayed
    GIBBONS: Hosanna to the Son of David; I am the Resurrection and the Life
    TALLIS: O sacrum convivium
    DE LASSUS: In monte oliveti
    DE MORALES: O crux ave
    DE VICTORIA: O vos omnes
    MCCABE: Woefully arrayed
    TAVERNER: Dum transisset
    GUERRERO: Maria Magdalene
    BYRD: In resurrectione tua
    LHERITIER: Surrexit pastor bonus
    CRECQUILLON: Congratulamini mihi
    Stile Antico
    HARMONIA MUNDI HMU807555 (CD)

Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina - Volume 2
    PALESTRINA: Hodie Christus natus est; Christe Redemptor omnium; Magnificat Quinti toni; Tui sunt caeli; Reges Tharsis; Missa Hodie Christus natus est; Song of Songs nos. 1-3; O magnum mysterium
    The Sixteen, Harry Christophers (conductor)
    CORO COR16105 (CD)
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Sounds fantastic...but am I being stupid? How will all that get fitted in between 11.15 and 11.59? But whatever...oh happy day...it's one of the rare Saturday mornings when, in theory, I'll be able to hear the programme in peace, so thanks, dovers.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

On the basis of previous hearings, the Stile Antico CD could be of more than passing interest.

Comment

• Simon

Thanks for the heads up Draco.

Edit 20th Nov.: Thanks, ard, for correction. Sorry! I misread the original poster name. Thanks Dovers!
        Last edited by Guest; 20-11-12, 23:07.

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

....and dovers

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I thought A McG was a little harsh on Stile Antico. Agreed, they do not bring passion to Victoria or whoever, but that is their 'stile', namely a pure and immaculately tuned beautiful sound. There is more than one way to perform the Renaissance repertory, and this is theirs. There is plenty of passion to be found via Westminster Cathedral for instance, and if you want to go way over the top, why not the classic George Malcolm Tenebrae disc?

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

Totally agree. Stile Antico's bass anchor allows flying up top, and accuracy and discipline seem to me to be their hallmarks.

That ancient St John's / Guest Victoria is about as passionate as you can get, plus the Malcolm/WEst Cath, and both ensembles have sepulchral basses to keep the pieces firmly grounded.

I often think that we may forget that Victoria's Holy Week material / the Requiem is written with reference to the dark intensity of Iberian catholic celebrations, and while cool clarity lets the music breathe in one way, IMO it needs the kind of intensity of phrasing that St John's/Guest used to bring to such music.

Westminster Cathedral USED to have that big sound, but I notice of late a much narrower, cooler treble sound, possibly bred out of the fact that with boys' voices breaking earlier, it is not all that common these days to have a good core of mature 13 yr olds with that richness of style that such male voices have just before the change, and the treble lines that give so much character to a choir's sound are more in the hands of 11/12 yr olds? Just a thought.

To my ear, if we are talking the trad choir school route, John Scott's St Thomas, Fifth Avenue Choir retains that treble richness of tone. Their choir school has boys having the luxury of singing treble longer, since the grade boundaries in American education are later, while English choir schools usually break at 13, and once kids move on, it is very rare that they will want to be seen to sing treble much into Y9, if at all. - peer pressure being what it is!!

Comment

Working...
              X