• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

BBC Choir of the Year

OK, hands up...who listened to The BBC Choir of the Year Grand Final on The Choir? I was just about to bemoan the fact that it had been relegated to a niche slot ('niche' even for The Forum, I think) but notice that it will be featured on BBC4:

Hope it gets sensible treatment.

All the choirs were well-prepared and gave polished performances. There was slightly too much 'show' singing for my taste, but it was good of its kind. One 'show' choir gave us Tippett's Steal Away and I wish they hadn't. There were 'pop style' inflections throughout which were a big mistake. Not their fault, of course, but they should have done an out-and-out gospel arrangement of Steal Away and all would have been well. And the rest of their programme was to the manner born.

As always in competitions, how do you choose a winner from such diverse groups?

Here's the whole show:

Aled Jones introduces highlights from the 2012 Choir of the Year Grand Final.
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

They've learnt like all X-Factor wannabes how to catch the judge's eye. Sorry, I thought it meretricious and a bit disheartening.
    Not many of them offered a Bach motet, or a bit of Gabriel Jackson or Gesualdo, or even good jazz / swing, I noticed. Can't think why.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
      • Nov 2010

I haven't listened to much of it yet, but I'm not at all impressed by the list of music. The first thing I heard on iPlayer sounded quite good. Turned out it was a fill-in between Choral Evensong and The Choir - Merton College choir, nothing to do with the competition.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Turned out it was a fill-in between Choral Evensong and The Choir - Merton College choir, nothing to do with the competition.
        Yes, I heard that too...a bit of Gombert, I think. Beautifully sung. Take a deep breath before the Tippett, Mary!

Comment

• Mary Chambers
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
          Take a deep breath before the Tippett, Mary!
          Apparently it has 'choreography'. Ouch.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
            • Dec 2010

I find your comments, Draco, most "disheartening". To label the choirs 'X-Factor wannabees" and their performance 'meretricious' - by which I assume you mean superficial, insincere, tasteless etc. I believe is both untrue and unwarranted.

Did you listen to Surrey Hills singing Hrusovsky's 'Rytmus', Les Sirenes with Robert Latham's 'Oh Soldier Soldier' or Lindley Juniors with Bob Chilcott's 'Riddle' ? There was jazz -Duke Ellington's 'It don't mean a thing' - and there was beautifully sensitive singing in, for example, Michael Neaum's arrangement of 'And so it goes' by Les Sirenes, who, by the way, are actually students and graduates of the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.

You are perfectly entitled to your frequently stated preference for cathedral and Oxbridge college choirs, but since you are a host of The Choir forum, I might suggest that there is another world of choral singing which deserves appreciation, whose singers, although young, are most certainly not X-Factor wannabes and whose performances are definitely not, in your carefully chosen terminology, 'meretricious'.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Oldcrofter View Post
              To label the choirs 'X-Factor wannabees"
              To be fair (since he isn't here at the moment), what he said was that they had learnt how to catch the judge's eye - like X-Factor wannabes, which would refer to some visual aspect of their performance (catching the judge's eye?) rather than the singing itself. The choice of repertoire is another matter.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

FF says it exactly like it is.

I am not criticising their enthusiasm, nor their dedication, but I do indeed have a pretty rooted objection to shouty, clappy 'choreography' in presenting choral music in a competition that is specifically meant to target 'CHORAL SINGING'. In staged musicals, totally different matter. On Talent / X-Factor style shows, pushed to the extreme, those are exactly the kinds of gimmicks performers / ensembles use to catch the judges' eyes. As I said in my posting. What part does that have in a 'who's the best choir in Britain?' show? Might show the winning ensemble is the best at THAT kind of presentation - but 'BBC Choir of the Year'? Hmm. The choirs which enter it have learnt the hard way that to simply stand still and deliver does not make good telly, and thus is unlikely to make the cut. And in the last few years, outcomes proves that intuition to be correct. Drilled 'routines' with singing look more and more the biz.

And given the nature of the competition as we see it, the pieces chosen are geared to the number of pieces and the length of time they are allowed on stage, which does not leave them much time to explore and reveal. We are not likely to get Raautavara, Part, even Kodaly are we?

And I specifically mentioned jazz / swing etc. Huge wealth of material there, but few made much attempt to get int it.

As TV ENTERTAINMENT, spectacle, perfectly pleasant and acceptable, showing bundles of enthusiasm, dedication to rehearsal and teamwork discipline. As an examination of challenging choral singing, open to question.

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

It will be informative to see the Grand Final on BBC4 at 7.30pm on 23rd November.
                  There are obviously some judging criteria which some of us will see as legitimate and others not.
                  e.g. A choir should be judged on its sound alone (judges behind screens)
                  A choir should demonstrate an ability to communicate visually with its audience by facial expression and body language
                  A choir should use organised movements (choreography, corybantics) to enhance its impact

It's a difficult one, isn't it? Personally I think the criteria should be publicly stated for both entrants to the competition and to audiences (maybe to the judges themselves?) Otherwise one is trying to compare chalk with cheese.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                    • Dec 2010

I must admit I haven't seen the television broadcasts - I can only judge from the Radio 3 recording of the finals.

Aled Jones introduces highlights from the 2012 Choir of the Year Grand Final.

I can't perceive any "shouty, clappy choreography" in the recording. I presumed your comments were aimed at the finalists. I repeat my point from before:

Did you listen to Surrey Hills singing Hrusovsky's 'Rytmus', Les Sirenes with Robert Latham's 'Oh Soldier Soldier' or Lindley Juniors with Bob Chilcott's 'Riddle' ? There was jazz -Duke Ellington's 'It don't mean a thing' - and there was beautifully sensitive singing in, for example, Michael Neaum's arrangement of 'And so it goes' by Les Sirenes, who, by the way, are actually students and graduates of the Royal Conservatoire of Scotland.

It may be that you (and FF ?) were at the final and saw the performances. Which choirs were "meretricious" and X-Factor wannabees" ? I'm really interested to know.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                      • Dec 2010

Thanks for that info, Ardcarp re Final (televised) on 23rd Nov.

I've never seen any adjudicator at a festival behind a screen - legitimate for instrumental auditions certainly but probably not for vocal.
                      Communicate visually as well as musically ? Yes, definitely. Body language ? To a limited extent (walking on with confidence, good stance and posture etc)
                      Organised movement in competitive situation ? Hardly ever occurs in festivals & competitions I've attended . Adjudicators (on the whole) don't like it and MDs generally know this. However, I can quite see why choirs in a television show or series might put in movement, as do Barber's Shop groups, gospel choirs etc.

One of the youth choirs I have an association with never uses movement in a performance, either concerts or competitions. Another youth choir I know well use movement with some pieces (e.g. the Japanese song Sakura where it works beautifully), most usually in concerts but never in competition.

It will be interesting to see if my opinions of the finalists' choral performance is enhanced or spoilt by seeing them perform on television.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Oldcrofter. There haven't been any televised programmes yet (to my knowledge) and like you I've only heard things on the radio (in my case the Grand Final...twice). However, organised movements were very clearly described by Aled and his Swingle guests on The Choir.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                          • Dec 2010

Thanks again, Ardcarp. I just listened to the singing & fast-forwarded the commentary.

Comment

• ardcarp
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

If organised movements are allowed..which they clearly were in the BBC COTY... then I gather The Oxford Gargoyles are pretty impressive. Their vocal performance certainly was on the steam radio, and I'm slightly surprised they didn't win on that basis. Apropos of nothing, I remember The Fair Sax (saxophone ensemble) did a lot of choreographed routines, and very entertaining they were too.

Comment

• Oldcrofter
                              • Dec 2010

I think these two clips illustrate the point. Here, in 'Fields of Gold' and in festival competition, The Gargoyles move relatively little, and do so for expression.

The Oxford Gargoyles from the University of Oxford perform their second song 'Fields of Gold' at the Oxford Regional of the Voice Festival University Competi...

In this clip, "You've got a friend in me" (presumably in concert) movement is integral - for humorous and entertaining effect etc. And it's from a film.

The Oxford Gargoyles performing their arrangement of You've Got A Friend in Me from Pixar's Toy Story.

If they performed in COTY that sort of movement, then yes, it could be considered out of place and an adjudicator might well mark them down for that reason. That's a risk they would take.

Comment

Working...
                              X