X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chrisjstanley
    • Dec 2010

Choir wars

Anyone know more about the saga just down the road from me?

bws
    Chris S
  • Wolsey
    • Nov 2010

The heading to this thread needs to be changed as the article refers to a choir of the London Oratory *School*, not the Church in Brompton nor its musicians. The facts, as I understand them, bear little relation to what is reported in the Daily Telegraph (the article contains at least four other factual inaccuracies), and therefore comment on a public forum seems inappropriate.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Could you not set right some of the inaccuracies?

Must say, despite reading the article twice I am still a bit puzzled by the structure: are there two 'school's' choirs, or is there a one choir at the school which gets the glitzy international work, and a second choir which does the bread and butter services at Brompton Oratory and they are the ones who are disgruntled?

Comment

• pole_2_pole

The 'Schola' sings for Mass on a Saturday; it is made up of boys and professional men.

The 'Oratory Choir' is the senior choir and sings two services on a Sunday; it is made up solely of professional singers, both female and male.

This 'Holywood dispute' in the Telegraph is all a load of fiction and would look better off in a Red Top, not a broadsheet. It shouldn't be discussed on an internet forum.

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Well, sorry.........but [ ahem] I wasn't the one to bring it up!

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Church music is endlessly fascinating being such a closed and relatively small world

I'm wondering what "should" be discussed ?

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
              Church music is endlessly fascinating being such a closed and relatively small world

I'm wondering what "should" be discussed ?
              DING DONG!

Down on your knees, boy!

Comment

• DracoM
                Host
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
                The heading to this thread needs to be changed as the article refers to a choir of the London Oratory *School*, not the Church in Brompton nor its musicians. The facts, as I understand them, bear little relation to what is reported in the Daily Telegraph (the article contains at least four other factual inaccuracies), and therefore comment on a public forum seems inappropriate.

OK, so what would you amend it to?

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                  OK, so what would you amend it to?
                  I've temporarily amended the title since Brompton Oratory and the London Oratory aren't the same thing (I don't think). When the title gets crawled by the search engines that will put them off the scent!

I await further thoughts.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• paul duggan2

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I've temporarily amended the title since Brompton Oratory and the London Oratory aren't the same thing (I don't think). When the title gets crawled by the search engines that will put them off the scent!

I await further thoughts.
                    I think the London Oratory is the correct way of describing the Brompton Oratory. In any case, both refer to the same church. The London Oratory School has a choir (the Schola/boys and men) that sings in the Oratory for the evening Mass on Saturdays.

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by paul duggan2 View Post
                      I think the London Oratory is the correct way of describing the Brompton Oratory. In any case, both refer to the same church. The London Oratory School has a choir (the Schola/boys and men) that sings in the Oratory for the evening Mass on Saturdays.
                      Thanks. I think I'd better just change it to Choir Wars. That will enable members to discuss the issue (and others to read) if they wish, but I don't see that any purpose is served by drawing it to the attention of the entire world, especially if the story is filled with inaccuracies.
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

?
                        It's only closed to those who choose not to take any interest in it.
                        The same could be said of contemporary music.

Comment

• MrGongGong
                          • Nov 2010

For all the years i've been going to HCMF there's not been anything like the stuff one seems to get in church music
                          church music seems to be constantly engaged in a state of intrigue and arcane plotting

marvellous stuff much better than Poirot

Comment

• amateur51

For all the years i've been going to HCMF there's not been anything like the stuff one seems to get in church music
                            church music seems to be constantly engaged in a state of intrigue and arcane plotting

marvellous stuff much better than Poirot
                            Or Trollope even

No, not Joanna

Comment

Working...
                            X