X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BasilHarwood
    • Mar 2012

Beethoven - Missa Solemnis

Catch an epic performance of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis by Sir John-Eliot Gardiner, The Monteverdi Choir & Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique on iPlayer... Stella line-up of soloists including James Gilchrist.

John Eliot Gardiner conducts the Monteverdi Choir in Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

"From the heart-may it in turn go to the heart!" wrote Beethoven; I think JEG may have come quite close!
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

I'm not a fan of JEGger's Beethoven Symphonies, but his recording of the Missa is exceptionally fine: I haven't heard better. Thanks for the nod, BH.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Thropplenoggin

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      I'm not a fan of JEGger's Beethoven Symphonies, but his recording of the Missa is exceptionally fine: I haven't heard better. Thanks for the nod, BH.
      One you might have missed is Steinberg on ICA Classics. It's on Spotify. Or here on Amazon. Excellent sound and a nice price. Heather Harper is in fine form.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Thropplenoggin View Post
        One you might have missed is Steinberg on ICA Classics. It's on Spotify. Or here on Amazon. Excellent sound and a nice price. Heather Harper is in fine form.
        You're right; I don't know this performance, and Steinberg was an excellent conductor whose work I greatly enjoy - so I shall seek it out.

There are many excellent recordings of this work (I've never got on with Klemperer's) - but JEG's, I think, hits the spot particularly well.
        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• David-G
          • Mar 2012

Back in the early 1990s, JEG did a series of Beethoven symphonies at the Central Hall Westminster. I enjoyed them very much.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
            Banned
            • Jul 2011

Yes, JEG's Missa on Archiv is very fine but, as with the Brahms German Requiem, I think he'd do it better now, especially if caught in the vivid live sound of that wonderful Brahms. Zinman, with an audibly larger choir, is a more than plausible alternative - really excellent.

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BasilHarwood View Post
              Catch an epic performance of Beethoven's Missa Solemnis by Sir John-Eliot Gardiner, The Monteverdi Choir & Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique on iPlayer... Stella line-up of soloists including James Gilchrist.

John Eliot Gardiner conducts the Monteverdi Choir in Beethoven's Missa Solemnis.

"From the heart-may it in turn go to the heart!" wrote Beethoven; I think JEG may have come quite close!
              Thanks for the link. I was out on Sunday and missed it. I got a lot out of it. It's such a rich work that you can always hear new things. Last year I actually sang it in an amateur performance locally, which of course also gives new insights into what is going on.

Comment

Working...
              X