X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Thanks for popping in and clarifying, hutchingsmusic. I'm sure that will encourage people to watch tonight.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

One's first thoughts might be that a 'requiem' marks a death in some way, is usually serious in tone, chooses texts that have a thought-provoking character...
      Given the info now provided, it clearly fits this bill. Some text excerpts I probably wouldn't have initially thought of, but when you think about it, appropriate. I'll be interested to hear how he has set it!

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Setting the lyrics of the Beach Boys 'Rhonda' and calling it a 'requiem' might not quite fill the bill.

Comment

• Simon

Well, we listened. Sadly, for some reason the transmission was very poor, and there were drop outs, lags and repeats every few seconds. Nonetheless what we could hear sounded interesting, with some effective harmonies. Modern for sure, but it seemed approachable. Perhaps it will be available as a podcast or on CD at some point.

Comment

• hutchingsmusic

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          Well, we listened. Sadly, for some reason the transmission was very poor, and there were drop outs, lags and repeats every few seconds. Nonetheless what we could hear sounded interesting, with some effective harmonies. Modern for sure, but it seemed approachable. Perhaps it will be available as a podcast or on CD at some point.
          That's disappointing - sorry you had that experience, several other people were able to listen in successfully online. I did get a recording of the concert, both from the webcam audio stream and a recorder from the front row, and will put one of them up and let you know. Thanks for watching! Let me know if you'd like a copy of the score (chris@hutchingsmusic.co.uk).

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Will you put it up here, hutchingsmusic? Yes, do let us know when you have, please.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• hutchingsmusic

Originally posted by french frank View Post
              Will you put it up here, hutchingsmusic? Yes, do let us know when you have, please.
              Thanks! A recording of the full performance is at:

First live performance of the Requiem! University of Glasgow Chapel Choir, directed by James Grossmith, with Andrew Forbes on organ. 30th October 2012. For some selected movements, see http://soundclo

It's 52 minutes long - but that's 14 short movements (individual movements to follow once I have access to a computer with decent editing software) so you can dip in and out over the course of a day - no movement is over 8 minutes. I hope you enjoy the piece, and please email me with any comments!

(There are a couple of performance issues where the choir or soloists have ended up a semitone off or a beat out briefly, but the majority of the movements are right - this is after only three rehearsals, and we should be able to sort those issues out ahead of the recording for CD release in March/April 2013, which will be on the Amemptos label.)

Comment

Working...
              X