X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon
    • Sep 2024

Brand New English Requiem

I've been made aware by a friend that there's a brand new requiem in the offing - in English, based on the BCP. The first performance is on Tuesday evening at 9pm, and apparently you can listen/watch live on the webcam. Can't recommend or otherwise though, as obviously nobody's heard it yet, but I have heard two pieces by Chris Hutchings, both excellent IMO.

It's from the chapel at Glasgow Uni, which I gather has rather a good organ, and the DoM is James Grossmith.

See first article here:

• BasilHarwood
    • Mar 2012

Hope it's better than the Walford Davies one...!

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BasilHarwood View Post
      Hope it's better than the Walford Davies one...!
      But surely you died before the Hutchings one was written, though I suspect you were well acquainted with Walford Davies.

I was amused by your biography.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

How can a Requiem be based on the BCP?

Comment

• Simon

Perhaps I should have said a "type of" requiem, Jean. I really don't know. I was passing on the info I got in an email. I did have a quick look at the site, but didn't have much time to spend on it. I'll have a look around further now, before I go to bed!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by jean View Post
            Simon knows, never fear

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

Hmm. Perhaps in the same way that Brahms' German Requiem is based on the Lutherian Bible texts?

You're correct: it can't "really" be a "Requiem", but the word has much more resonance than "Funeral Service" as a title of a piece of Music, perhaps?
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                • May 2011

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                Hmm. Perhaps in the same way that Brahms' German Requiem is based on the Lutherian Bible texts?

You're correct: it can't "really" be a "Requiem", but the word has much more resonance than "Funeral Service" as a title of a piece of Music, perhaps?
                A Requiem can be anything you want it to be. It's just a title...

Comment

• jean
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

I think it's got to have something to do with a person or persons having died and being (we hope) at rest.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
                    • Nov 2010

Good point. You will find no prayers for the dead in the BCP not even in the Funeral Service.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

Presumably there is a case for waiting to see what texts this particular upcoming piece uses instead of pre-judging what is and what is not proper to THIS 'requiem', BCP or whatever.

As Simon has very clearly said, he doesn't know what is in the piece, the piece has not yet even been performed, and he is merely passing on info. Seems a perfectly reasonable office to perform for a friend.

As to whether you can include 'anything you want it to be' I would have thought is, as jean politely remarked, at the very least open to question and might raise eyebrows just a tad. One's first thoughts might be that a 'requiem' marks a death in some way, is usually serious in tone, chooses texts that have a thought-provoking character, be they religious [whatever that means] or not, and a number of modern requiems from Brahms onward have not.

Setting the lyrics of the Beach Boys 'Rhonda' and calling it a 'requiem' might not quite fill the bill.

Comment

• ahinton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                        I've been made aware by a friend that there's a brand new requiem in the offing - in English, based on the BCP. The first performance is on Tuesday evening at 9pm, and apparently you can listen/watch live on the webcam. Can't recommend or otherwise though, as obviously nobody's heard it yet, but I have heard two pieces by Chris Hutchings, both excellent IMO.

It's from the chapel at Glasgow Uni, which I gather has rather a good organ, and the DoM is James Grossmith.

See first article here:

http://www.hutchingsmusic.co.uk/
                        I know nothing of the composer but I can confirm that the organist at Glasgow University Memorial Chapel is one of the finest I have ever heard.

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

Well, it would seem that the Requiem is free to all comers, no tickets required.

Comment

• Wolsey
                            • Nov 2010

It just so happens that the CD of Gabriel Jackson's Requiem (2008) was released at a concert last Saturday, an occasion which was combined with a 50th birthday celebration for him. http://www.vasarisingers.org/jackson-launch/

Comment

• hutchingsmusic

The libretto is drawn *mostly* from the BCP, but there are also additions from the King James version of the Bible, and the last couple of movements are translated directly from the Latin requiem.
                              If anyone, after viewing the libretto, still wishes to disagree with this being called a Requiem, they are welcome to come up to Scotland and "discuss" it with me in person
                              We felt during the commissioning process that there wasn't a good Requiem entirely in English available, and that many people might be better able to connect with one in English than in Latin. Hopefully this will fill a gap.
                              I do encourage any doubters (and indeed non-doubters) to listen to the performance online:
                              www.gla.ac.uk/services/chaplaincy has a live webcam streaming from the Chapel. 9pm tonight.

Comment

Working...
                              X