• Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE The Queen's College, Oxford October 31st 2012

CE The Queen's College, Oxford

Order of Service:

Introit: Holy is the true light (Harris)
    Responses: Sumsion
    Office Hymn: Thou whose almighty Word (Moscow)
    Psalms: 27, 36, 148 (Bairstow, Purcell, Walker, Hurford)
    First Lesson: Genesis 1:1-5
    Canticles: Murrill in E
    Second Lesson: 1 John 1:1 – 2:2
    Anthem: Vast ocean of light (Jonathan Dove - Choirbook for the Queen)
    Final Hymn: Light's abode, celestial Salem (Regent Square)
    Sequence for All Saints: Introit (Leighton)

Organ Voluntary: Paean (Leighton)

Olivia Clarke and Paul Manley (Organ Scholars)
    Owen Rees (Director of Music)
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Being a bit out-of-the-loop these days, I've rather lost track of which Oxbridge colleges now have Directors of Music. Until relatively recently all but the big names (New, Magdalen, Christchurch Oxford and Kings, Johns, Trinity, Clare and Caius Cambridge) had senior organ scholars running the choirs...great experience for some. Just out of interest, can anyone post up a list of those colleges which now have 'professional' DOMs?

Comment

• mopsus
      • Nov 2010

In recent years quite a few Colleges which used not to have professional DoMs have appointed them, including my colleges of Merton (Ox) and Corpus (Cambs). Several Cambridge Colleges other than the ones you list had professional DoMs already in the 1980's: Christ's and St. Catharine's come to mind, though their DoMs were sometimes very part-time and only conducted the choir a few times a term.

Comment

• Gary Cole

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
        In recent years quite a few Colleges which used not to have professional DoMs have appointed them, including my colleges of Merton (Ox) and Corpus (Cambs). Several Cambridge Colleges other than the ones you list had professional DoMs already in the 1980's: Christ's and St. Catharine's come to mind, though their DoMs were sometimes very part-time and only conducted the choir a few times a term.
        Additionally to Christ's and St Catharine's, Selwyn, Jesus, Sidney Sussex, Magdalene, and Emmanuel Colleges in Cambridge all now have professional Directors of (Chapel) Music, and there may be a few others that I don't know about! Quite different from in my day!

I can't help feeling that the much improved standards in these college choirs that come from having the long-term consistency of a professional DoM is sadly offset by reduced opportunities for young aspiring choir trainers to 'run their own show'. Certainly, my aim in wanting an organ scholarship was always to run the choir - not to play the organ!

Gary Cole

Comment

• Caussade
          • May 2011

Originally posted by Gary Cole View Post
          Additionally to Christ's and St Catharine's, Selwyn, Jesus, Sidney Sussex, Magdalene, and Emmanuel Colleges in Cambridge all now have professional Directors of (Chapel) Music, and there may be a few others that I don't know about! Quite different from in my day!

I can't help feeling that the much improved standards in these college choirs that come from having the long-term consistency of a professional DoM is sadly offset by reduced opportunities for young aspiring choir trainers to 'run their own show'. Certainly, my aim in wanting an organ scholarship was always to run the choir - not to play the organ!

Gary Cole
          Oxbridge colleges without some sort of DoM input are now in a minority; but the job title can cover a very wide range of expectations and duties. Quite often the role of the post-holder is to mentor and advise the organ scholars, sometimes leading by example and offering on-the-spot coaching and advice, assistance in preparation, and post-performance debriefing. In many scenarios the DoM takes only a share in the direction and accompaniment of the choir. I think this is the case at Emmanuel, and it's certainly the case at Corpus Cambridge, which are both only part-time posts. The presence of a DoM is therefore not always a guarantee of improved consistency and raised standards - some colleges still want the students 'running the show' most of the time, and the DoM has to gauge input according to the desires of the individual foundation. These posts can also involve some responsibility for general oversight of college music, for liaison with external bodies,outreach work etc.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I can't help feeling that the much improved standards in these college choirs that come from having the long-term consistency of a professional DoM is sadly offset by reduced opportunities for young aspiring choir trainers to 'run their own show'.
            Those were my thoughts too! Anyone know the set-up at Corpus Christi Cambridge these days?

Comment

• Caussade
              • May 2011

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              Those were my thoughts too! Anyone know the set-up at Corpus Christi Cambridge these days?
              Corpus have a new DoM position from this academic year - part of it entails the expected responsibility for the oversight of chapel music and the mentoring/guidance of the organ scholars (this part involves some reasonably regular playing and conducting, and on the spot adivce, but not full-time responsibility for the actual direction of the choir a la Caius or Clare), part of it involves being general musician-about-college (e.g., oversight of the activities of the college music society) and part entails working in collaboration with a locally-based charitable foundation to develop a programme of activities and outreach projects centred around the college and its musical and academic facilities. A bespoke solution to the DoM issue, not quite the same as any other similar post in the University.

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Thanks, Caussade.

Comment

• Chris Watson
                  • Jun 2011

My job at Teddy Hall in Oxford (also new this term) is along very similar lines - to galvanise the music making in the college and to help and advise the organ scholars (and to conduct occasionally) without taking over completely.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                    • Nov 2010

Gary - good to have your expert ear on this forum. Missed the opportunity to welcome you earlier.

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Originally posted by Chris Watson View Post
                      My job at Teddy Hall in Oxford (also new this term) is along very similar lines - to galvanise the music making in the college and to help and advise the organ scholars (and to conduct occasionally) without taking over completely.
                      Congratulations Chris - very nice, and reputedly the oldest academic foundation in Oxford (1236)! I look forward to hearing the choir on CE!

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

OK, Chris, BUT who then conducts the choir at TH?

Comment

• Chris Watson
                          • Jun 2011

Hi Draco. Sorry - my post was meant to make it clear that I am there to help the organ scholars run the choir, so I do some conducting but by no means all of it, and I will probably sing on some Sundays. I can't be there all the time - I have a concert in Glasgow today, for instance - and as Gary pointed out earlier it is important that there still be places where organists can come and learn how to run a choir rather than just be accompanists.
                          Chris

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Tks.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Watson View Post
                              Congratulations, Chris.

Comment

Working...
                              X