Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • organista

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
    Magnificat, your explanation of the 'problems' caused seems, on the surface, to be very reasonable. However, after a little thought I'm afraid it doesn't stand up. Surely that would all happen even if the service wasn't being broadcast? My understanding (limited, I admit) of church services is that they happen at designated times according to a calendar - I'm sure that I've seen sign boards outside churches that give the name of the minister/vicar/priest and the times of services, & what type of service they are.

Or is it a case of 'Songs of Praise Syndrome'?
    I think that the point which Magnificat is trying to make is quite valid. You need to take into account the fact that the BBC broadcasts services of Choral Evensong at 3:30 pm in order to fit with the R3 schedules. The balance tests for the choir and other participants run from about 1 pm. A normal service of evensong on a weekday in any choral establishment is usually at a much later time (about 5pm, or even later) and with a much shorter pre-service rehearsal. So it's quite easy to see that special arrangements have been made by a lot of people for these broadcasts.

Not sure what you mean by 'Songs of Praise Syndrome'.

Comment

• Anna

Surely the point is that CE is being ditched for Wagner at 3.30pm on a Wednesday afternoon? How many Wagnerites will be around at that time to listen? Could it not simply have been recorded and broadcast later in the day, leaving CE where it is or, alternatively, record the St. Albans and broadcast it on the following Sunday instead of the repeat of the Liverpool Metropolitan service? I do feel really sorry for the Choir, having geared up, to be let down like this.

Comment

• weston752
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by organista View Post
        I think that the point which Magnificat is trying to make is quite valid. It's quite easy to see that special arrangements have been made by a lot of people for these broadcasts.
        Quite so - and with the bringing forward of the TX time from 4.00 to 3.30, with the consequent knock-on to the balance test, I expect that many folk are now having to take a full day's leave rather than the half day which used to suffice!

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by organista View Post
          Not sure what you mean by 'Songs of Praise Syndrome'.
          Apparently when Songs of Praise was due to be broadcast fromn a particular church the number of people in the congregation would rocket, suggesting that they were less interested in worshipping god than being seen on telly in their new hat.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
            • Apr 2011

'twas ever thus, flosshilde, even 30 years ago
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• MrGongGong
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
              Surely the point is that CE is being ditched for Wagner at 3.30pm on a Wednesday afternoon? How many Wagnerites will be around at that time to listen?
              I would think that many of them would be about
              devotion to Wagner (a bit like the acolytes in the Stockhausen society !) is much more all consuming than the mere dabblings of the old CofE you know

Comment

Working...
              X