X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Contre Bombarde
    • Sep 2024

The World is to End

On checking the newly delivered Radio Times to see if next week's CE is coming from my establishment (so that I can develop a sore finger and leave it to the OS) I find that something called o p e r a is being broadcast instead.

Let the corwumphs and indignation begin...
  • Simon Biazeck

Think of it as an ecumenical gesture from the Norse gods. I will be doing my part as one of the Vassals.
    Last edited by Guest; 23-10-12, 10:13.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
      • Apr 2011

At last! I was wondering (out loud, on the Night at the Opera forum, some time ago) when this forum would tumble to the news. I'll be at the opera in person, listening out for Mr Biazeck's vassalesque Magnificat.

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by underthecountertenor View Post
        At last! I was wondering (out loud, on the Night at the Opera forum, some time ago) when this forum would tumble to the news. I'll be at the opera in person, listening out for Mr Biazeck's vassalesque Magnificat.
        St Albans were booked to do CE on 24th - advertised on their site during the Summer holidays. The BBC subsequently changed the Evensong schedule.

Great shame as the choir is terrific at present. I hope the boys' voices (including yet another superb treble soloist ) last until they are rescheduled.. Perhaps they will broadcast as part of the IOF in July.

VCC.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Presumably it's just the broadcast that's been cancelled?

(I'm thinking of the view that a priest says Mass even if there is nobody in the church, because God is always there. Similarly, the service can still be held at St Alban's because God doesn't need a radio to hear it)

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Similarly, the service can still be held at St Alban's because God doesn't need a radio to hear it
            By your logic, there is never any point in broadcasting CE. In reality CE on R3 is a musical performance (yes it is) with a spiritual dimension that gives pleasure to many, including the silent army of agnostics.

Comment

• BasilHarwood
              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              By your logic, there is never any point in broadcasting CE. In reality CE on R3 is a musical performance (yes it is) with a spiritual dimension that gives pleasure to many, including the silent army of agnostics.
              Um. It's an act of worship not a musical performance. A performance is a concert...

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                Presumably it's just the broadcast that's been cancelled?

(I'm thinking of the view that a priest says Mass even if there is nobody in the church, because God is always there. Similarly, the service can still be held at St Alban's because God doesn't need a radio to hear it)
                Flosshilde

Of course the cathedral will hold a said service ( the girls choir sing on Wednesdays but it is half term); but it is not as straightforward as that for a somewhere like St Albans with no choir school and choristers drawn from up to a dozen different schools.

Since the cathedral choir of men and boys doesn't normally sing on Wednesdays all the arrangements necessary - the men getting time off work and the boys from their schools, for example,to put this service on would have come to nought which must have been very annoying for the music department there to say the least.

This year, I believe, there was also the situation that some boys would have been on half term and others not and the former families may well have already changed holiday plans to accommodate the broadcast.

I understand that the BBC were asked to record the service but declined - very helpful lot!

VCC.

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

The BBC seem to be going in for overkill again. First they ruined Schubert for many, next piano music, now Wagner.

I must break the sad news about the absence of CE next week to my 92 year old organist friend who never misses it.

Comment

• BasilHarwood
                    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                    The BBC seem to be going in for overkill again. First they ruined Schubert for many, next piano music, now Wagner.

I must break the sad news about the absence of CE next week to my 92 year old organist friend who never misses it.
                    The ROH are performing the ENTIRE Ring Cycle - how often does that happen?! I think the loss of one CE is rather insignificant if you ask me. Take a listen to Gotterdammerung, it's fantastic...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by BasilHarwood View Post
                      The ROH are performing the ENTIRE Ring Cycle - how often does that happen?! I think the loss of one CE is rather insignificant if you ask me. Take a listen to Gotterdammerung, it's fantastic...

Indeed - blame the ROH for not putting it on in a week, as used to be the ususal practice. Then Wednesday would have been free & CE able to go ahead.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Magnificat, your explanation of the 'problems' caused seems, on the surface, to be very reasonable. However, after a little thought I'm afraid it doesn't stand up. Surely that would all happen even if the service wasn't being broadcast? My understanding (limited, I admit) of church services is that they happen at designated times according to a calendar - I'm sure that I've seen sign boards outside churches that give the name of the minister/vicar/priest and the times of services, & what type of service they are.

Or is it a case of 'Songs of Praise Syndrome'?

Comment

• doversoul1
                          Ex Member
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by BasilHarwood View Post
                          So what?!
                          We all have different preferences and priorities in interest.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                            Indeed - blame the ROH for not putting it on in a week, as used to be the ususal practice. Then Wednesday would have been free & CE able to go ahead.
                            Quite Flossie, I wasn't thinking of myself actually but my very unwell 92 year old organist friend.

Comment

• BasilHarwood
                              • Mar 2012

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                              So what?!
                              We all have different preferences and priorities in interest.
                              A change is as good as a holiday.

Comment

Working...
                              X