• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

The Choir: Gabriel Jackson is interviewed by Aled Jones

Now there's an interesting conjunction?

Anyone hear it?
  • mopsus
    • Nov 2010

One sign of Gabriel J's success is the need to specify the canticles as being composed by Francis Jackson in a recent broadcast. Not so long ago it would have been just Jackson in G.

Comment

• decantor
      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      Now there's an interesting conjunction? Anyone hear it?
      Yes - of course. Hearing the composer speak is often informative - the source of and reason for his texts, for example, or his attitude to tradition and commissions. But I think any composer struggles to elucidate his own music: presumably, if the ideas could be expressed in words, he would not have troubled to notate them. Even so, GJ managed to conjure some sort of verbal picture of what he had in mind. At least the programme did not stint on full-length samples of his work - his Airplane Cantata, for instance, and the startling declamation written for the Pope's visit. (Another measure of GJ's success is that a Google for the poet, Robin Bell, who provided one of his texts brings up more of GJ's setting than the poetry.)

Earlier in the afternoon we'd heard GJ's latest BBC Singers' commission, the a capella Choral Symphony. I lack the competence to offer a review of a work lasting almost half an hour - it was varied, vivid, and very virtuosic - but it was a great ride. The Singers were on splendid form, but I would personally single out the soloists - especially the tenor, mezzo, and soprano - as being superb in this context.

Comment

• Wolsey
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
        One sign of Gabriel J's success is the need to specify the canticles as being composed by Francis Jackson in a recent broadcast. Not so long ago it would have been just Jackson in G.
        Nicholas Jackson (sometime Organist of St David's Cathedral) is also a composer, so the use of the forename is even more essential nowadays.

Comment

• underthecountertenor
          • Apr 2011

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
          Really, mopsus? I don't think so. Standard BBC practice has, so far as I know, always, and quite properly, been to announce that 'the canticles are sung to the setting in [key] by [full name]'. I have never heard an announcer say, for example, 'the canticles are Jackson in G.'

Comment

• mopsus
            • Nov 2010

I was thinking of the Radio Times listings rather than announcements on air.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

BBC Singerson 'great form'? Hmmm,
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                • May 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                BBC Singerson 'great form'? Hmmm,
                There's no "Hmmm" about it - they were sensational!

Comment

Working...
                X