• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roger Judd
    • Apr 2012

Originally posted by Op. XXXIX View Post
    Wasn't the Byrd wonderful?
    Yes, I thought it was too, but then so was the whole service. Excellently prepared, and all the music seemed to be sung/performed with affection. The Elgar Introit is a little gem - I met it first on an EMI recording from Worcester Cathedral in the Robinson days. Greatly taken with Gabriel Jackson's responses which I'd not encountered before, and the Howells canticles sounded magnificent in that acoustic and backed by that splendid organ - the tempi seemed just 'right' - Peter King and his singers certainly made it so for me. Thanks to all concerned.
    RJ

Comment

• terratogen
      • Nov 2011

The music list did not disappoint. I was captivated from the first words of the introit—which I hadn't encountered before—through the responses—which are favourites—to the rousing 'Abide With Me' at the end. This is one that I'll definitely make time to enjoy again.

@DracoM has already mentioned the strong antiphonal sense of the psalms. If I hadn't known better, I might have wondered whether there were two different treble lines participating in the psalm-singing: one of young sopranos and another of slightly younger trebles (boys or girls). I know that this was not the case, and it hardly concerns me either way. I thought Peter King's choir in excellent and wholly fitting voice: bold and incisive in the psalms (particularly 53) and gentle in the introit, to highlight only a few places that really stood out.

Congratulations and thanks to all involved at Bath.

Comment

• EnzoElgar

I notice that the iPlayer link to yesterday's Bath broadcast is now complete and uninterrupted.

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

nd
          Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post
          I loved the Abide with Me harmonies.
          ...and I couldn't abide them. But Bath receives my undying thanks for not promulgating the John's Button at 'and to be the GLO-ry' in this particular Nunc.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

But Bath receives my undying thanks for not promulgating the John's Button at 'and to be the GLO-ry' in this particular Nunc.
            I did notice the tasteful lack of sfz/subito piano/massive crescendo. I thought of you, K, and wodered if you'd write in!

Comment

• weston752
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by VodkaDilc View Post

I loved the Abide with Me harmonies. Was it a well-known version or Peter King's own?
              They were by Sir Sydney Nicholson, published by the RSCM.

Comment

• Keraulophone
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                I did notice the tasteful lack of sfz/subito piano/massive crescendo. I thought of you, K, and wodered if you'd write in!
                Ardcarp, I recently asked Andrew Nethsingha whether the John's Button continues to be as prominent a disfigurement to SJC's worship as in Christopher Robinson's day. He replied that he did want to retain some of the (recent) traditions of the college, but that the Button's occurrence had indeed diminished under his directorship. Great leadership: other DoMs please note.

Comment

• mopsus
                  • Nov 2010

I think though that Bath Abbey no longer has to contend with the person who played a very penetrating penny whistle right outside the west door during choral services. When I went to services, I used to go and sit in the chancel to avoid it.

Comment

• Wolsey
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
                    I think though that Bath Abbey no longer has to contend with the person who played a very penetrating penny whistle right outside the west door during choral services. When I went to services, I used to go and sit in the chancel to avoid it.
                    Ah, yes - I remember him well...

Comment

• Op. XXXIX
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                      ..and I couldn't abide them.
                      Perhaps, but one does wonder. Sorry, I do love the hymn, not much I can do about it.

I do not consider myself an old f*rt, but even if so, methinks The Choir the last refuge for those of us who adore the English tradition, come what may.

Can't wait for next week, and see you then!

Comment

• Keraulophone
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Op. XXXIX View Post
                        I do love the hymn...
                        So do I, which is why I didn't like the way it was mucked about with. It was sung, not unusually, at my father's funeral; but after a meditative mezzopiano playover of the first two lines, we all expected to start singing, when the organist carried on his playover right to the end of the tune. It was at that moment that I realised how powerful such a simple tune could be, especially in a given context, and how special this particular one surely is. As to alternative harmonisation, in my experience there are few players who have an instinctive gift to make it sound 'right': Francis Jackson comes to mind.

Comment

• gainasbass

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
                          Francis Jackson comes to mind.
                          . Couldn't agree more K

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by weston752 View Post
                            They were by Sir Sydney Nicholson, published by the RSCM.
                            Thank you. Even better on rehearing on the Sunday repeat.

Comment

• ardcarp
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

which is why I didn't like the way it was mucked about with
                              Oh come on, K, most organists like to muck about with a final unison verse. Don't be a party-pooper!

Comment

• Contre Bombarde

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                                Oh come on, K, most organists like to muck about with a final unison verse. Don't be a party-pooper!
                                Quite right, with an appropriate tune of course, and especially when the format of the service allows one to carry straight on into an improvisation based on the hymn tune. It's easy to be carried away though; I once was thoroughly enjoying myself doing such a thing when my wife appeared in the organ loft, tapped me on the shoulder and then tapped her watch. What's wrong with a 23 minute postlude?!

Comment

Working...
                                X