Where, O where shall wisdom be found? And where is the place?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Finzi4ever
    • Nov 2010

None of the singers in the picture is looking towards the carver anyway...shoddy outfit, lol

Comment

• egg counter

Shall stick my neck out and say that it's catholic and may well be European! Why, Starched surplices that don't quite fit, young back row although the first boy looks like he is wearing a preaching band!

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
        the somewhat plain fenestration on the south side goes right up to the east end.
        Intriguing conundrum! The details are so out of focus that it's very difficult to get more than a vague impression. However, if you look carefully you can see the gothic arches above the windows on the south side (you have to fiddle about with the angle of your screen). The glass in the lower sections looks plain (no coloured light), but that in the top sections could be coloured - making that section of the window look darker than the clear glass below, hence giving the impression of utilitarian square windows.
        There would seem to be canopies over the rear stalls, & a rather distinctive carved figure (an owl?) on the side of the stall on the far left.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by egg counter View Post
          Shall stick my neck out and say that it's catholic and may well be European! Why, Starched surplices that don't quite fit, young back row although the first boy looks like he is wearing a preaching band!
          Nah - I don't quite buy that, sorry - they look v British, not to say English, to me. The apparent lack of Qu/choir aisles or retro-choir along with the age of the back row still suggest a collegiate establishment...

Comment

• Finzi4ever
            • Nov 2010

Ok folks, we do have an answer... I would never have sussed it, but one of our fellow borders (who for the time being wishes to remain anon) has through methods fair not foul worked it out for us. I have agreed with him not to call time quite yet but to encourage you all to have one last go at it before we reveal all. I think he won't mind me saying a) that it is in the UK, but b) it is neither cathedral nor college chapel! Don't be shy; place your bets and I'll give it one last week. Clues could then be forthcoming.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

OMG. I can't stand the suspense! Needless to say the Beeb have not replied to my inquiry. As clue number one, Finzi, could you say whether CE has been broadcast from there?

Comment

• decantor
                • Dec 2010

Dirty tricks, Finzi - to pose an honest question and then withhold the solution!

The scarlet cassocks suggested to me there should be a royal connection to this foundation - though of course there's a fair bit of cheating on that front, and the colour may in any case be that duller brown-red. The lack of proper choir desks and lighting suggested that there was no regular choir singing daily services in that building, and the clear lights on the southern wall hinted at a more recent structure (a school?) or a reconstruction, even though the east end glass looked of fair quality. With the front row singers wearing tabs, they might well be an established choir - but singing away from home. The apparent youthfulness of the back row, I decided, could well be misleading, though they betrayed a certain lack of confidence and commitment in their demeanour. I concluded this was not quite a...... how to say it?...... major choir, or at least not one used to singing daily.

Soon after the question was posed - and because I had often wondered the same thing myself - I googled a number of abbeys and minsters (the usual suspects), but found no match for that east end. My enthusiasm for research waned - just too many possibilities. Had I found a match with no resident all-male choir, I would then have gone on the hunt for the visiting choir.

You see? I really tried. AND NOW YOU DARE TEASE US WITH THE PROSPECT OF CLUES! I shall patiently await the solution --- and duck into my bunker if my pseudo-Holmesian deductions bring too much colour to my cheeks!

Comment

• chrisjstanley
                  • Dec 2010

Neither cathedral nor college chapel, which suggests a church or abbey!!!!!!!!!!!! Maybe a humble church like Temple Church with a wonderful choral tradition (I know it's not Temple Church). Aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                    • Nov 2010

It's rather typically Beeb, I'm afraid, just a random pic, in that it bears little or even no relation to those who perform on the prog even rarely and though in a rightly famous building, the place is not (AFAIK) known for its choral tradition. (Hope I'm not being unfair to them.) All of which makes its discovery by one of our colleagues the more impressive. Don't get too riled, Dec, I would never have got it and am only now not declaring where it is at the behest of the topographical genius (genius loci?) in our midst.

Comment

• DracoM
                      Host
                      • Mar 2007

If it is a school, it's a pretty grand one with a chapel like that?
                      How many schools do we know which have 10-13 yr olds front line and 15-18's back row? Has to be one with a prep unit surely? AND, much more rarely, a single sex one, OR a policy that does not allow lasses to sing with lads? OR is that a lass front centre or a lad with rock god pretensions ref hair? A chapel with VERY low choir stall front desks and big ritual candles on altar? Hmm.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                        • Nov 2010

barking up the wrong tree, DM...

Comment

• DracoM
                          Host
                          • Mar 2007

I thought I was raising a spinney rather than one tree wrong or not! And I did use 'IF' right at the start!!

Comment

• Anna

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
                            The back row heavies more resemble scholars than lay clerks. Any takers? Someone may even recognise a face...
                            Having only read this thread: I reckon the pic is of Finzi4ever and I claim my Prize! (You choral guys are a lot of fun!) Edit: OMG, it can't be Gabriel Jackson, he's far too young!

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
                              Having only read this thread: I reckon the pic is of Finzi4ever and I claim my Prize! (You choral guys are a lot of fun!) Edit: OMG, it can't be Gabriel Jackson, he's far too young!
                              No and no. Have another go - if you look at the opening of the thread you'll see I was as puzzled as anyone. 5 days to go.

Comment

• ArpSchnitger
                                • Jul 2012

I've been thinking that this could be a greater parish church somewhere, yet from your clue, not one with a major choral foundation. The Fleur de Lys carving on the choir stall made me think of St Lawrence Ludlow - I enjoyed taking some photos of the carvings there a couple of years ago- but I'm not convinced that the east window is correct- Ludlow has, I think, nine 'columns' of glass and the BBC photo suggests six- also the lighting suggests an area regularly used whereas I have the impression that Ludlow's choir never sings from within the chancel, rather from the crossing. Nevertheless, is the greater parish church idea a tree up which to bark?
                                D.

Comment

Working...
                                X