Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • terratogen
    • Nov 2011

A warm, welcoming service for the Harvest, I thought, and earnestly-done and enjoyable despite the earliness of the choir term, etc. Got a bit lost in the fog of the Magnificat, but I did particularly like the psalms— tunes and singing both. I always marvel a bit at how quickly a cathedral—particularly a cathedral like St Edmundsbury, which has no associated school—can in just a few weeks re-launch a choir fit to sing at any standard, much less to take the lead in daily services and contribute to programmes heard around the world. Thanks to all at St Edmundsbury for a lovely listen-in.

As long as the subject of St Edmundsbury is immediately relevant: do any of The Choir's more knowledgeable contributors know whether there were any recordings made / whether there are any recordings available featuring St Edmundsbury's mixed treble line under the direction of the late Harrison Oxley?

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
      My thoughts, too, turned to Ely when the coldness of cathedrals was mentioned.
      It could well have been Ely, I visited them both on that holiday. Lovely Cathedrals but make Canterbury seem positively cosy.

I enjoyed the service yesterday.

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Enthusiastic singing.
        Introit Lauridsen meets Lotti?
        Agree with others that the Smart canticles seemed a bit overblown and over-complicated - or that was how they came across.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
          • May 2011

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          Introit Lauridsen meets Lotti?
          Or maybe just Richard Allain?

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Gabriel Jackson View Post
            Or maybe just Richard Allain?
            Just how it came across to me. Thinking how a DoM might possibly think of selling it to [a] his/ her choir, and [b] the clergy if he / she was trying to explain what it sounded like to the unlettered, and thus how it would fit into a particular service. Always supposing said clergy already knew Lauridsen or Lotti. Hmm.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Vile Consort View Post
              My thoughts, too, turned to Ely when the coldness of cathedrals was mentioned.
              mine too as an Ely old lag, when the old *Gurney stoves were still coke-fired. That said, I'm a Suffolk 'Tractorboy' born and bred and really enjoyed yesterday's b/c. I felt the tuning and intonation improved significantly as the service went on.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gu...ember_2008.jpg

Comment

• mangerton
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Finzi4ever View Post
                mine too as an Ely old lag, when the old *Gurney stoves were still coke-fired. That said, I'm a Suffolk 'Tractorboy' born and bred and really enjoyed yesterday's b/c. I felt the tuning and intonation improved significantly as the service went on.

*http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gu...ember_2008.jpg
                I can well imagine that Ely and St Edmundsbury could very easily be cold places with the wind wheeching straight in from Siberia. I was fortunate enough to visit both - and Peterborough - a few years ago during a June heatwave.

Otoh, I once took part in a performance of Berlioz's "L'Enfance du Christ" in Edinburgh's St Mary's Cathedral a few days before Christmas, and it was perishing!

Comment

• LTFC1990
                  • Sep 2012

Like others, I thought this definitely felt like eavesdropping on an ordinary service. I really enjoyed the introit, the best piece sung, in my belief, and hopefully one which will be propelled to wider poularity. Unconvinced about the anthem and canticles. Some slightly suspect tuning from the choir overall, particularly among the men. Out of interest, I was just wondering if anybody can tell me if the men at St Edmundsbury are volunteers or paid Lay-Clerks?

Comment

• LTFC1990
                    • Sep 2012

Having just looked at their website, I can answer my own question, and say that they are all volunteers. This, in my view puts their whole performance into a new light. With this in mind, I thought their performance was good. I would be interested to know how many men do sing there though

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

I think there is, or used to be, another church in Bury St E (another one peripheral to the ancient Abbey?) that also maintains a choral tradition. Competition for men and boys?

Comment

• bach736
                        • Nov 2010

Indeed there is, Ardcarp. 100 metres up the road you will find ...

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                          Office Hymn: At Cana's wedding (Stella)
                          I was very surprised to hear this tune in a non-Catholic context.

I know it only to the words Hail Queen of Heaven, the Ocean Star

When I saw that the tune was called Stella, I thought that must be why - but apparently not!

...STELLA was a folk tune from northern England that Hemy heard sung by children in Stella, a village near Newcastle-upon-Tyne...

Comment

• Op. XXXIX
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                            Otoh, I once took part in a performance of Berlioz's "L'Enfance du Christ" in Edinburgh's St Mary's Cathedral a few days before Christmas, and it was perishing!
                            It was chilly last May (at both Sunday services), but what a great BBTGAF at Evensong.

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
                              • May 2011

Originally posted by Op. XXXIX View Post
                              It was chilly last May (at both Sunday services), but what a great BBTGAF at Evensong.
                              What's BBTGAF?

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                                Late Member
                                • Dec 2010

Blessed be the God and Father, probably.
                                My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

Working...
                                X