Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
    ...I would say that the idea that somehow they are unaware of the effects of placing pipes in a case etc is a bit daft.
    I don't think anyone is saying this, Mr GG. And I made exactly that point in #11 above.

Like you I'm no expert: most of the others who post on these organ threads are, so their various contributions are IMO generally well worth reading, even if there is the occasional slight variation in viewpoint.

I bet your times with Mr Klais were fascinating. Were you building or theorizing?

Wish I could have met him for a few hours and asked questions.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

I was more responding to this

a) The potential of the new H&H organ is somewhat limited by the aesthetics of the new casework.
      but as I said, i'm no organist !

with Mr Klais we were eating lobster and talking about Birmingham

(but it was in Singapore............ aaaah gone are the days though when there were gigs like that )

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post

with Mr Klais we were eating lobster and talking about Birmingham

(but it was in Singapore............ aaaah gone are the days though when there were gigs like that )
        Lobster! A bit bourgeois, that, isn't it?

Comment

• MrGongGong
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
          Lobster! A bit bourgeois, that, isn't it?
          Only to lefties like you prof

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Ahem...........I believe that the organ will be playing tomorrow afternoon at 3.30 p.m. I understand a choir is involved.

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Lobster. A boat at anchor on an idyllic evening in the Isles of Scilly. A local fisherman knocks on the hull and offers two fresh lobsters for £10. The crew cooks and eats them. The use of pliers and screwdrivers on the fiddly bits made it not bourgeois. Even the wine came from the Co-op.
              What was that about choirs?

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                The use of pliers and screwdrivers on the fiddly bits made it not bourgeois.

What was that about choirs?
                Lol.

We must all now be very fair to St Eds and give them a good thread for their CE. Probably not difficult: every time I've heard them in the past 5 years or so they've been most capable indeed.
                Last edited by Guest; 26-09-12, 12:09. Reason: removal of word

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                  • Nov 2010

Hear, hear! And apols for starting the diversion... mea culpa, mea maxima culpa.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

No prob, just a bit amused. Organ chat is excellent, if a tad arcane to mere outsiders but a totally necessary part of this Forum section.

Might be a bit of a downer for any eager choir member looking on here -and we know they do - to see how their service went down!

Comment

• salymap
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Haven't read the thread but remember from a visit to Norfolk/Suffolk years ago that it is a beautiful Cathedral but the coldest I've ever visited.

Shall listen later.

Comment

• BasilHarwood
                        • Mar 2012

Bloody good robust and purposeful singing. Excellent introit I thought and enjoyable psalm singing (love that Walmisley chant). Standard bit of slightly twee Wood but again, can't fault the performance. Really did feel like I was listening in to the service and not hearing a choir trying to show-off and sing beyond its means. I've always enjoyed the Stanford Postlude, too!

I've only positive things to say! Thanks, St Edmundsbury.

Comment

• Magnificat

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                          Haven't read the thread but remember from a visit to Norfolk/Suffolk years ago that it is a beautiful Cathedral but the coldest I've ever visited.

Shall listen later.
                          Sallymap,

Sure you're not getting mixed up with Ely? Bury is equally beautiful but Ely must be the coldest on earth in Winter let alone in East Anglia.

Not the best choir in the world Bury but I thought they gave it 100%.

The first two psalm chants are favourites of mine but I enjoyed the anthem best of all. Never heard it before to my recollection but what a change to have a simple tuneful piece that you can remember and hum afterwards without having to listen to it about a dozen times before you can really appreciate it.

The prayers for Harvest were lovely and beautifully presented.

VCC

Comment

• Vile Consort
                            • Nov 2010

My thoughts, too, turned to Ely when the coldness of cathedrals was mentioned.

Comment

• Simon

Th whole thing came over well, I thought, in terms of what many have said over the years is an "eavesdropping on a normal service".

Not wholly convinced by the Mag though. Seemed a struggle at times, and sounded quite a young top line. I would like to hear this front row in a quieter, less breathless setting than the Smart, say one of the Tudor "short" services, and shall indeed hope to do just that later in the year when I'm near Ipswich for a few days.

But well done indeed for such lovely psalms and a gutsy anthem, which was new to me. Thanks to all concerned, and for the chance to hear the organ in a good piece at the end - great stuff!

Comment

• ardcarp
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

The cathedral was one of a few churches on the periphery of a truly vast Abbey whose ground-plan and a few remains can still be seen. The cult of St Edmund was the cause of the Abbey's great wealth; but of course the Dissolution finished it off. I seem to remember that, according to religious myth, St E's head, severed in battle, was found miraculously re-attached to his body.

Comment

Working...
                                X