Undiscovered gems (just Mag and Nuncs for now)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon

Originally posted by Jamiewhall View Post
    ... OK corral evensong!
    Aaaarrrggghhh. Thank you, JWH. Don't call us, eh?

One gem which when I last mentioned it didn't seem to ring many bells was Ouseley in B minor. So I'll mention it again.

Does anybody do it nowadays? - 'cos they should! A straightforward setting that we trebles enjoyed, quite easy to sing, but full of Sir Frederick's lovely harmonies. And B miinor's a good key for some reason, no? I mean look what JSB wrote in it...

Comment

• Finzi4ever
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
      And B miinor's a good key for some reason, no? I mean look what JSB wrote in it...
      ... in that case there's always Bach in D!

As the first to perform it, I've always loved Wills on Plainchant themes (formerly fauxbourdon), mostly for the accomp under the lines of chant.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
        And B miinor's a good key for some reason, no? I mean look what JSB wrote in it...
        Except that what Bach actually HEARD as "B minor" isn't the same as what is played today

Comment

• Simon

True, GongGong. Do you remember that thing we did a few years ago, where there was that site or something which played pieces as they would have been, in equal temp? And how different it sounded.

Comment

• chrisjstanley
            • Dec 2010

If anyone should need a reminder of what Ouseley in B minor sounded like then go to

(yes, you can click on the almost unreadable programme in the centre of the page)

I thought I might have sung this, but no bells were rung. I don't think Kenneth Beard brought too much of St Michael's College Tenbury music with him to Southwell. [excepting significant lay clerks]
            Chris S

Comment

• Simon

Thank you for that, Chris. A strange feeling when I listened - took me back well over 30 years.

Tempus fugit indeed.

Comment

Working...
              X