• DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

CE Southwell Minster 19th Sept 2012

CE Southwell Minster

Order of Service:

Introit: Thou, O Spirit (Robert Busiakiewicz) first broadcast
    Responses: Clucas
    Office Hymn: Blest are the pure in heart (Franconia)
    Psalms: 98, 99, 100, 101 (Ferguson, Vann, Marlow, Ley, Webb)
    First Lesson: Proverbs 2: 1-15
    Canticles: Second Service (Leighton)
    Second Lesson: Colossians 1: 9-20
    Anthem: The Song of the Three (Guy Turner) first broadcast
    Final Hymn: Praise to God whose word was spoken (Regent Square)

Organ Voluntary: Fantasia in G minor (York Bowen)

Simon Hogan (Assistant Director of Music)
    Paul Hale (Rector Chori)
  • subcontrabass
    • Nov 2010

It appears that the two "first broadcast" items are composed by members of the choir: http://www.chad.co.uk/lifestyle/sout...sers-1-4912938

Comment

• Philip
      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
      It appears that the two "first broadcast" items are composed by members of the choir: http://www.chad.co.uk/lifestyle/sout...sers-1-4912938
      They are indeed - Guy Turner has written other music for the Minster Choirs before.

A baptism of fire also for Simon Hogan, who has been in post for less than two weeks!

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Excellent info - many thanks both.

Comment

• Simon

Good heavens! Is this "novelty week" or something?

Of course, we may be in for absolute gems with the new works - and I certainly hope we are, to balance the rest. If the Vann chant is the one I think it will be, it's one of the worst I've ever heard, a random, purposeless, hodge-podge, though at least there will be the soothing Webb to help remove its traces from our ears... And I suppose I can mute the sound during the Leighton Mag....

I used to call in here a lot when I worked around the UK - it was convenient on my way home from the East via the A17 and from Cambridge/London as I preferred the A1 to the M1. Many is the time that I've crept in after the start and heard some of the best singing you could wish for. Wonderful peace after a long journey on a wintry day...

Not been there yet this year though - hope there's not been a general change to a lot of modern stuff!

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
            • May 2011

Originally posted by Simon View Post
            Not been there yet this year though - hope there's not been a general change to a lot of modern stuff!
            That would be terrible wouldn't it?

Comment

• chrisjstanley
              • Dec 2010

It would indeed be terrible GJ

S-S I'm sure you have no need for concern over the Vann. The Ashfield psalter was put together meticulously IMO, with a wholly appropriate mix of chants ancient and modern. From memory the Vann goes with Psalm 100 and is a triple chant requiring a repeat of the third part for the 4th verse. Not entirely elegant but........ it is also possible my memory has failed as it is 40-odd years since I was there.

bws
              Chris S

Comment

• john_york

Hmmmm, not sure if I am looking forward to this one Especially after following its nearby rival Derby.

The only thing I really like are the Clucas responses, as long as they don't do that awful Lord's Prayer, which to me doesn't fit in and ruins what is a damn good set of responses.

We shall see!

Comment

• Triforium
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by john_york View Post
                  Hmmmm, not sure if I am looking forward to this one Especially after following its nearby rival Derby.

The only thing I really like are the Clucas responses, as long as they don't do that awful Lord's Prayer, which to me doesn't fit in and ruins what is a damn good set of responses.

We shall see!
                  Careful, he may include you in his next book.

Comment

• David Underdown

The way the list is put together would suggest the Vann is for 99. I certainly like the chant of his I've sung to that, but the same would apply for both 98 and 100 as well

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Philip...#3...it sounds as if you are part of the fittings at Southwell. If so, give my best regards to Guy Turner and tell him to ignore comments from any old stick-in-the-muds who haven't even heard his piece yet! He and I used to meet occasionally bumping up The Phoenix Singers, and indeed he wrote some witty stuff for them, words and music if I recall. Also tell him how much Mrs Ardcarp's prep school choir loved his "Magnify" and thank him for an effective but luckily not too taxing accompaniment (which I had about half an hour to practise!)

Good luck to all on Wefnesday.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

Philip...#3...it sounds as if you are part of the fittings at Southwell. If so, give my best regards to Guy Turner and tell him to ignore comments from any old stick-in-the-muds who haven't even heard his piece yet! He and I used to meet occasionally bumping up The Phoenix Singers, and indeed he wrote some witty stuff for them, words and music if I recall. Also tell him how much Mrs Ardcarp's prep school choir loved his "Magnify" and thank him for an effective but luckily not too taxing accompaniment (which I had about half an hour to practise!)

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Oh dear. Sorry about posting twice.

Incidentally, I've been having to log-on each time for the past couple of days. Is this my kit or the system?

Comment

• chrisjstanley
                            • Dec 2010

In reply to David Underdown, I think you might be correct and my supposition wrong. The chant I'm thinking of for Psalm 100 is almost certainly not Vann. I have found a link to the Vann chant for Psalm 99 which would definitely mean a departure from the Ashfield (Southwell) psalter chants.

Guy Turner on the other hand does sound like fun ardcarp.
                            Composer Of Choral Music and Comic Songs

Strange reading the excerpt from the Chad or Mansfield Chronicle Advertiser. Used to send them SMGS Ist XV rugby reports!!

Chris S

Comment

• Philip
                              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post

Not part of the fittings at all, I'm afraid! Southwell is my diocesan Cathedral (although Derby is nearer as I'm on the wrong side of Nottingham for Southwell) so I do visit periodically and keep a close eye on their music lists. I do know a couple of the 'auxiliary' lay clerks who also sing with St Marys, Nottingham (for whom I do some accompanying), one of whom was praising the Guy Turner piece to me on Sunday evening when I asked (they had sung it that afternoon).

Indeed, less than an hour and a half in the car could take me to Peterborough, Lincoln, Southwell, Derby or Lichfield, all of whom have very proficient choirs singing a typically wide Cathedral repertoire, not forgetting St Marys choir in Nottingham who do equivalent music in a (very large) Parish Church. Who says nothing happens outside London?!!

Comment

Working...
                              X