X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secret squirrel
    • Jun 2024

Quire or Choir?

Perhaps this is better asked more widely over on the Platform3 side, but I thought The Choir posters would be better placed to answer this question of mine:

"Which is your preferred / understood to be correct spelling of the part of the church / cathedral where the choir sings: Quire or Choir?"

I ask as I am getting irritated by the use of "choir" by all the media reports on the possible Richard III remains in Leicester, but I sought Wiki's advice and it says that the two are equally correct, with "quire" now seen as archaic, no less!

I was always told quire as in "in quires and places where they [the choir] sing, here followeth the anthem", but before I do write in to the BBC and national newspapers and demonstrate my BCP affiliations, do you agree?

Sincerely asking (but perhaps not the letters to The Times bit...)!

SS
  • Simon Biazeck

Choir is the accepted modern spelling, but I think some foundations do refer to certain services taking place in quire.

As you can see in the link below, one of the ancient meanings of quire is a quaternum, or book of four folded pages.

The online etymology dictionary (etymonline) is the internet's go-to source for quick and reliable accounts of the origin and history of English words, phrases, and idioms. It is professional enough to satisfy academic standards, but accessible enough to be used by anyone.

Personally, the media using 'choir' doesn't get me too hot under the collar. It does seem a tad pretentious to use quire in a secular media publication, however much I like it myself! How do the people at Leicester refer to that area?

Comment

• secret squirrel

..a Car Park, presumably !! <gets coat>

(I don't live anywhere near there).

Perhaps all those years ago I was informed not so much 'incorrectly' but 'without both sides of the argument', so to speak.

I will let it rest, then, if indeed it is just 'me' being me and clearly they are not 'at fault'.

..but then again, I like to spell gaol well, gaol....!

SS

Comment

• Simon Biazeck

Originally posted by secret squirrel View Post
        ..a Car Park, presumably !! <gets coat>

(I don't live anywhere near there).
        Very good! A dear colleague at the ROH sings the Gaoler in Tosca and very much enjoys the obvious suggestive wordplay!

I'm very fond of inclement (spell-check !) and was once told by a rather pompous woman in Essex (!) that it was too arcane - I've made a point of using it ever since!

Best wishes.

Simon.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

One way to decide would be an in quiry

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
            • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Simon Biazeck View Post
            I'm very fond of inclement
            Inclement: the 'quiddity' of that which has been incled??
            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Pabmusic
              • May 2011

Quire is without a doubt archaic in this sense. This may help: http://www.geocities.jp/icu_l041035/memos/choir.html

Comment

• chrisjstanley
                • Dec 2010

In Southwell Minster a perfectly reasonable Choir exists to the East of the Nave but someone has re-named it Quire in the last ten years I think.

Chris S

Comment

• salymap
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Quire is still used for 24 sheets of paper but Oxford Dictionary says it is archaic otherwise.

A matter of choice for the Cathedrals perhaps.

Comment

• decantor
                    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by chrisjstanley View Post
                    In Southwell Minster a perfectly reasonable Choir exists to the East of the Nave but someone has re-named it Quire in the last ten years I think.
                    Interesting, that. Over the last ten years (twenty at most), I have noticed an increasing tendency in sacred music circles to use 'Quire' for the area of the church, and 'Choir' for the body of singers. This is surely a useful orthographical development, irrespective of the earlier history of the words.

Comment

• ardcarp
                      Late member
                      • Nov 2010

Car parks seem to obscure much of our ecclesiastical heritage. The once important Merton Abbey (wrecked by Henry VIII of course) lies beneath a Sainsbury's car-park in Colliers Wood. The remains of the Chapter House can be visited a few times each year. I went this year, and very fascinating it was too.

Comment

• David-G
                        • Mar 2012

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                        Car parks seem to obscure much of our ecclesiastical heritage. The once important Merton Abbey (wrecked by Henry VIII of course) lies beneath a Sainsbury's car-park in Colliers Wood. The remains of the Chapter House can be visited a few times each year. I went this year, and very fascinating it was too.
                        How do you go about visiting the Merton chapter house?

Comment

Working...
                        X