Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ahinton
    • Nov 2010

Sumptuous? Hereford? Contradiction in terms? (apart from the fact of its cathedral being wonderful and its organ splendid were it not for its unforgivably short compass pedals and manuals range)...

Comment

• mopsus
      • Nov 2010

Simon: I have to agree with you that I don't find Sumsion's or Wood's compositions very memorable, compared with those of the other composers you mention in your post. (Having said that, I can actually bring Sumsion in G to mind easily.)

Sumsion lived well into his nineties and was composing almost to the end, I think, so not surprising that there are many compositions by him.

Comment

• Finzi4ever
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mopsus View Post
        Simon: I have to agree with you that I don't find Sumsion's or Wood's compositions very memorable, compared with those of the other composers you mention in your post. (Having said that, I can actually bring Sumsion in G to mind easily.)
        - not least because of the infamous " 'ave a banana" organ phrase preceding the Gloria of the 'nunc'.

On a quite separate note, the generic Choral Evensong photo on the BBC Radio 3 CE page: where is it? It has the scale of a large Oxbridge chapel, but it isn't one of the usual suspects in either city, nor one of the major cathedrals, but I'm waiting to be shot down here and say: 'of course!'

Comment

• secret squirrel

Originally posted by Philip View Post
          ...St Pauls Cathedral under John Scott did two Hyperion discs of Mag/Nunc settings, one of which includes Sumsion in G - I would recommend them as the sound is vintage St Pauls. They include Stanford in C, Howells Gloucester, Noble, Murrill, Harwood, Brewer, Dyson and a few others, so plenty of old favourites.

I think Wood wrote dozens of settings - I know his D, both E flats and Coll Reg (in F). The latter I find to be rather dull, but the others are all well-crafted.
          Vintage (1987) St. Paul's sound AND vintage tempi to boot: Brewer in D's Nunc's Gloria's speed was approx 60bpm/beat (don't know if 4/4 or 4/2, but whatever there were 'four of' they were approx a second each in length); superb stuff!

(And Alan Green's tenor top G throughout the 'world without end' was ... present! )

Back to Wood, though: Wood in E is my favourite. A men's voice double choir setting. Of its kind, yes, but a jolly good sing too!

Comment

• secret squirrel

Actually, I hhave just been mooting the opposite of this thread's title....

What is still being sung that, frankly, shouldn't be?!

Surely with every new and good composition of the canticles coming in an older 'of its day' setting should be retired..

I for one can still hear Arnold in A; even Boyce in C was preferable.... just!

Oh, and "said" or "plainsong" doesn't count !!

<that'll set the cat amongst the pigeons!>

Comment

• Bullock in D

We used to sing a dreadful Mag and Nunc by Sumsion in D major. It was originally a trebles only service but was revised for SATB. I think we broadcasted it on Choral Evensong once. It was unremittingly terrible.
              Sumsion responses are good though.

Comment

• Bullock in D

Oh yes...the Mag and Nunc in G for mens' voices is tidy (as we say down our way....)

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by secret squirrel View Post
                  Actually, I hhave just been mooting the opposite of this thread's title....

What is still being sung that, frankly, shouldn't be?!

Surely with every new and good composition of the canticles coming in an older 'of its day' setting should be retired..
                  To be honest, SS, I don't think that there will be much being sung now that isn't up to it, the reason, clearly, being because those works that have stood the test of time have done so for good reason. Choirmasters aren't usually easily fooled when it comes to music, though of course a few make choices occasionally for reasons other than musical merit.

We see this, too, with modern works, about which there is usually general agreement on here - the good stuff is commended, and stays around. The dross is never heard again. Thus, probably, it ever was!

As for retiring an old piece to make way for a new one - it's simply unnecessary. The older ones just get sund that little bit less frequently, that's all.

Boyce wasn't too bad really, I don't think, but I can't recall the Arnold, though I'm pretty sure we did it. Maybe we only did it the once!

0-0-0-0-0-0

"ave a banana" - was that really from Sumsion in G, Finzi? No wonder it's not on the Hereford disc, then - just the Mag is present.

Comment

• secret squirrel

Have a Banana was from his men's voices Service in G.

re falling by the wayside, I agree with you, but don't forget too the other influences (not all bad, just influences, note): usually there are now two sets of choirs (girls and boys) so less need for mid-week 'stocking fillers'; similarly less time to rehearse (arguably) or better put, hours spent singing as less time "singing in the stalls" every day.

Also there are fewer sung services generally (for what ever reason) - when I were a lad we had 11 a week (!) [though clearly there will only be 7 Evensongs a week...].

Yes, the 'fittest will always survive' musically-speaking, and tastes and styles change (do we really want endless Vicwardiana - I do like Naylor in A!), so I for one am glad some of the 'poorer' settings are no longer heard!

It's all subjective, though!
                    Last edited by Guest; 13-09-12, 20:53. Reason: afterthought

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                      Late Member
                      • Dec 2010

Originally posted by secret squirrel View Post
                      Have a Banana was from his men's voices Service in G.
                      ?? No, it's not, it's from the Mag of the full choir one in G. The original phrase is from a music hall song called 'Let's all go down The Strand'. Google is your friend...
                      My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• secret squirrel

apologies - yes, you're correct....

I won't edit out my ignorance, but beg forgiveness !!

SS

Comment

• Radegund
                          • May 2012

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
                          ?? No, it's not, it's from the Mag of the full choir one in G. The original phrase is from a music hall song called 'Let's all go down The Strand'. Google is your friend...
                          No it's not from the Mag, it's from the Nunc of the full service in G

Comment

• AscribeUntoTheLad

I could quite happily never sing any Wood again. Although I would miss the Glorias of Eb (number 2) and F.

I don't know how Arnold in A ever got published. Particularly imaginative is the the descending scale on 'he hath put down'.

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by Miles Coverdale View Post
                              It can't be, cos that's the one I've been listening to and it weren't there m'lud, honest it weren't!

Edit: sorry Rad, only saw your post just now.
                              Last edited by Guest; 13-09-12, 23:00. Reason: Addition

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by AscribeUntoTheLad View Post
                                I could quite happily never sing any Wood again. Although I would miss the Glorias of Eb (number 2) and F.

I don't know how Arnold in A ever got published. Particularly imaginative is the the descending scale on 'he hath put down'.
                                Lol. Still can't place it.

However, back to Wood, I think we sang 3 Evening Services at least: in F, in Eb and in D. We also sang a Te Deum, which IIRC we liked. Can't recall it though, or the key, except for the final bit - "let me never be counfou------n--ded." Must have a search around...

But I assume you mean the services when you say you could happily not sing more Wood...? Surely you like some of the anthems? HGL is a classic - simple in harmony but stunningly effective in a good acoustic.

Comment

Working...
                                X