X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Simon
    • Sep 2024

Sumptuous in G from Hereford

We used to do it, and must have done it regularly enough, I suppose. I picked up a second hand compilation CD a couple of days ago, with the Heffies singing from years back - and very good they were too. (I wish I coluld have a play on that organ). Sumsion in G was on it, and to my surprise I couldn't recall a single note of it until it started.

I mentioned this in the course of a chat to a former school/choir pal, and we passed a few minutes deciding which of the evening services we remembered and which we didn't.

Don't want to be boring and anoracky, but we both remembered all the Stanfords, all the Howells (a major part of what we used to do), obviously the warhorses such as Noble, Harwood and Murrill, the majority of the early stuff (though we thought we mixed up Gibbons' various services), and much of the more modern.

So far, so good.

But we could recall neither Sumsion (F & G) (well, I could the G, but I wouldn't have done if I hadn't played it the day before, if you see what I mean) and none of the Woods at all.

I'm sure they were good to sing, and I'm sure we enjoyed them, but perhaps not remarkable in terms of the hooks they had for the memory. Unless there is some other reason.

I'd be interested to see if anyone else feels/finds the same about Wood and/or Sumsion evening services.

bws S-S!
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Sumsion in G is ingrained in my head...those opening organ chords....and there is also a Sumsion in G for boys' voices. I guess you are referring to Hereford in the Roy Massey days. He was very fond of music of that ilk, and very good at it too. Maybe the music lists repeated stuff a bit too often though.

Comment

• Keraulophone
      • Nov 2010

We happened to sing it this {Sat} evening, first CE of the new term, together with members of our Old Choristers Association, on their reunion day. A well-crafted setting with a lilting, pastoral feel; standard issue maybe, but rewarding all the same in its undemonstrative way.

It was a favourite of John Winter, a former Assistant Organist and Organist and Master of the Choristers totalling 37 years, who passed away this year. One of his anthems setting Dean Shearlock's words was sung as an introit, and Ireland's Greater Love rounded things off: a moving tribute in the presence of his widow, to an unsung (save for today) long-serving provincial cathedral musician.

Comment

• Op. XXXIX
        • Nov 2010

Checking Wiki, I had no idea Sumsion wrote so much music. If I am not mistaken, did he not record Elgar's Sonata at Hereford? (Probably long OOP.)

Comment

• Keraulophone
          • Nov 2010

Yes he did record it, but at Gloucester for EMI in their Great Cathedral Organs series, the 19 LPs now reissued in a bargain-priced 13 CD box.

Comment

• Op. XXXIX
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Keraulophone View Post
            Yes he did record it, but at Gloucester for EMI in their Great Cathedral Organs series, the 19 LPs now reissued in a bargain-priced 13 CD box.
            Rather late in the evening -sloppy of me to assign Sumsion to Hereford- but would be very interested in that box set.

Thank-you!

Comment

• ardcarp
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

On the subject of Winter (sorry to hear of his death) he wrote a very effective Mag and Nunc in D. It's quite short and not difficult for choristers to learn.

Comment

• Wolsey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Op. XXXIX View Post
                Rather late in the evening -sloppy of me to assign Sumsion to Hereford- but would be very interested in that [i.e. EMI Great Cathedral Organs] box set.
                Details of the boxed set are here: http://www.emiclassics.com/releasetr....php?rid=52136

Comment

• Simon

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
                  Sumsion in G is ingrained in my head...those opening organ chords....and there is also a Sumsion in G for boys' voices. I guess you are referring to Hereford in the Roy Massey days. He was very fond of music of that ilk, and very good at it too. Maybe the music lists repeated stuff a bit too often though.
                  You're dead right, Ard, it was all recorded in Massey's days and under his direction, though the CD has bits recorded spaced over 10+ years, with 5 different organists. A very nice disc, esp. given that it also has BB the G&F, Stanford's Bb TD & J and a smashing performance of I Was Glad. :-)

I too was unaeware that Sumsion had written so much, Op XXXIX - thanks for the idea to check Wiki!

Comment

• Simon

Talking about Sumsion, I found this version of the A Nunc (there's the Mag. too if you look).

Rather good for non native-speakers of English, I thought. And a bit like the harder tone that we and many other English choirs of 25-30 odd years ago produced, except the Cambridge lot of course, and perhaps Ely IIRC. And clearly shows, in the louder parts, the steel that no girls' choir can ever match. And I shouldn't begin so many sentences with "and"

Comment

• Op. XXXIX
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                      I too was unaware that Sumsion had written so much, Op XXXIX - thanks for the idea to check Wiki!
                      Wiki is amazing, check out the entries for Doncaster Minster (and the railway station.) Somebody has been doing their homework. As the East Coast Main Line from Kings Cross often plows through Doncaster at 125 mph en route to York, why not take a train which stops there? The Minster is not to be missed.

Speaking of Gloucester, most people here probably own the Priory CD (797) of Herbert Brewer's church music. If there is a reason why the Mag & nunc in D and 'March Heroique' are only heard today, well no reason not to sample his other music.

Anecdote I read (cannot recall where): Mr Brewer was rather shocked to find his two young sons being entertained by 'bar room' music. The pianist, Edward Elgar.

Comment

• bach736
                        • Nov 2010

If the sun is shining and you're near Ely this Saturday, Sumsion in G is on offer at Evensong (5.30 pm) and as a bonus, the newly fashionable Bridge Allegro marziale. Lunch by the river, the antiques centre, a walk through the Close plus the stained glass museum - the perfect day.

Comment

• Triforium
                          • Nov 2010

Sumsion in A from Evensong yesterday at St. Thomas NY - http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/mus...ices/show/3919

Comment

• Finzi4ever
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                            a bit like the harder tone that we and many other English choirs of 25-30 odd years ago produced, except the Cambridge lot of course, and perhaps Ely IIRC.
                            Not sure IYouDoRC: in my day (AWW, before PT) we 'made' quite a continental, hard tone, which was not to everyone's tastes and of course down the road at John's it was also quite edgy, unlike the hollow hoots of next door...

Comment

• Philip
                              • Sep 2012

I agree about Sumsion in G - it is a lovely little setting which I've really come to appreciate over the past year or so. The setting in A is growing on me as well. His best-known anthem is surely 'They that go down to the sea in ships' which is great fun as well. I don't think he was an outstanding composer by any means, and that is probably reflected in how much of his music is sung, but he produced some gems. St Pauls Cathedral under John Scott did two Hyperion discs of Mag/Nunc settings, one of which includes Sumsion in G - I would recommend them as the sound is vintage St Pauls. They include Stanford in C, Howells Gloucester, Noble, Murrill, Harwood, Brewer, Dyson and a few others, so plenty of old favourites.

I think Wood wrote dozens of settings - I know his D, both E flats and Coll Reg (in F). The latter I find to be rather dull, but the others are all well-crafted.

Comment

Working...
                              X