X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Choral Vespers from St Patrick's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Armagh Aug 29th 2012

Choral Vespers from St Patrick's Roman Catholic Cathedral, Armagh
    Tx Wed 29th August 2012 but recorded beforehand
    The Charles Wood Summer School.

Order of Service:

Responses: Plainsong
    Hymn: Hail, O thou of woman born
    Psalms: 114, 115 (Plainsong)
    Reading: Acts 13 vv23-25
    Homily: Cardinal Seán Brady
    Magnificat primi toni á 8 (Palestrina)
    Anthem: Ave Maria (Parsons)
    Te Deum (Collegium Regale) (Howells)

Organ Voluntary: Apparation de l'église éternelle (Messiaen)

Daniel Hyde (Organist)
    David Hill (Director of Music)
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Reminder Today @ 3.30 p.m.

Comment

• DracoM
      Host
      • Mar 2007

Erm.......well....maybe not, judging by the late-running of the Prom repeat.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

When I heard the priest intone the opening Deus in adiutorium meum intende, I thought it was an interesting new chant I had never heard before.

When the choir came in with the response, I realised it wasn't...

Comment

• DracoM
          Host
          • Mar 2007

Well, that was like a journey back in time. Like the 1950's maybe?

Sounded like considerable forces tackling material ostensibly written for small forces eg Palestrina, Parsons etc. In a huge swimming pool acoustic. Extraordinary. The Howells Te Deum came out of it best for me.

Not sure I liked being lectured by Cardinal Sean Brady of all people about my religious duty.

Comment

• Flosshilde
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
            Not sure I liked being lectured by Cardinal Sean Brady of all people about my religious duty.
            If you listen to a religious service coming from a Catholic cathedral that's a risk you have to take. These pesky Cardinals will insist on muscling in

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

No, it's WHO His Eminence is and his recent backstory that does not recommend him to me as a mentor.

Comment

• Miles Coverdale
                Late Member
                • Dec 2010

I see that in the current debate about abortion in Ireland Brady has said that it is 'important people have the courage to make their voices heard'. Shame he didn't follow his own advice in the 1970s.
                My boxes are positively disintegrating under the sheer weight of ticks. Ed Reardon

Comment

• DracoM
                  Host
                  • Mar 2007

Precisely.

Comment

• AlexM

I'd have preferred proper Gregorian psalms, in Latin, not the stripped-down Anglican version with made-up antiphons. Howells sounded terrific, but what's he doing there?

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Originally posted by AlexM View Post
                      Howells sounded terrific, but what's he doing there?
                      And nothing suitable by Charles Wood?

(Welcome, Alex!)
                      It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Welcome to the Forum, Alex.

Indeed. There was a slightly odd pot-pourri that was a bit tricky to understand. Marked contrast with the previous week's Edington mix of plainsong and other modes. Everyone yesterday felt much happier seemingly with the Howells, and it sang well.

Comment

• Pegasus

Music and performance of the highest quality.

In recent weeks we have heard services sung by ad hoc ensembles and combined forces (amongst others); there is no doubt in my mind that this was the best by some considerable distance. I am glad that we have been reminded what is possible, and the highest standards that we should expect.

Intonation and blend was delightful. A wonderful sense of legato, underpinned by confident vocal control, supported each phrase. Tempi (which would be challenged by the generous acoustic) were never indulgent.

And to consider what the rest of the repertory was for the week ...

The finest music in the finest hands.

Addendum. The shock and horror of hearing a priest sing with an untrained voice was something I could come to terms with. However, I am with DracoM, in thinking that the choice of priest for the Homily was altogether more distasteful.

Comment

• DracoM
                            Host
                            • Mar 2007

Sorry, I just cannot agree with such undiluted praise for the performances in this service, and coming from as distinguished a correspondent as Pegasus, I am even more surprised.

Repertoire was good, but the actual singing? In that acoustic mix, how on earth could you tell? Or were you there?

Comment

• jean
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
                              Addendum. The shock and horror of hearing a priest sing with an untrained voice was something I could come to terms with.
                              I wasn't objecting to an untrained voice, Pegasus, but to the fact that he didn't know the tune, or couldn't sing the notes in the right order.

What has happened to the post that answered mine? It's gone completely, and I thought we couldn't do that.

I was going to reply that I know priests who can sing plainsong properly.

(I couldn't listen carefully enough and must LA before I comment further on the whole service.)

Comment

Working...
                              X