• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Gabriel Jackson’s New CD

‘Highly recommended’ writes Stephen Pritchard of The Guardian. Congratulations!!

….a collection of 16 of his endlessly inventive and stimulating choral pieces, some the fruit of his happy association with the excellent choir of St Mary's, Edinburgh.

Gabriel Jackson's second collection of sacred choral works is a gift for the choir of St Mary's, Edinburgh, writes Stephen Pritchard
  • Gabriel Jackson
    • May 2011

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
    ‘Highly recommended’ writes Stephen Pritchard of The Guardian. Congratulations!!

….a collection of 16 of his endlessly inventive and stimulating choral pieces, some the fruit of his happy association with the excellent choir of St Mary's, Edinburgh.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012...d-stars-review
    Thank you! All the reviews so far have been very good, with the singing of the choir universally praised (and rightly so!).

Comment

• Anna

Just happened to turn R3 on and now - Gabriel Jackson interview segment - and happy 50th birthday to him!!

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Anna View Post
        Just happened to turn R3 on and now - Gabriel Jackson interview segment - and happy 50th birthday to him!!
        Oh well spotted, Anna!

Happy Birthday Gabriel Jackson!

Comment

• decantor
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Anna View Post
          Yes, I caught this interview with Duncan Ferguson (DoM at St Mary's) and GJ. To my mind, it encapsulated all that is wrong with allowing "show presenters" to conduct interviews. Most questions were a paragraph long, and implied the expected answer, leaving the distinguished interviewee nowhere to go - except, possibly, "Yes, I agree" or "Well, of course......"

To ring the changes, Duncan Ferguson was asked whether his choir were well prepared for the concert of GJ's music the next night. Were they well prepared? What reply could the poor man give? I wish he'd had the nous and impertinence to reply, "No, we're rehearsing through the night, and have our fingers crossed that we won't be sight-singing in the concert." But of course he was too polite - more polite than his interviewer deserved. (I'm sure the concert was magnificent.)

I wish someone would drop a hint to the these 'presenters' that it is what the guest has to say that's important: their role is merely to entice a flow of revealing information and opinion from the person on the end of the line or in the studio. A truly great interviewer says very little: s/he just finds the right short question.

But, since this thread is avowedly about GJ's latest CD - yes, I have it and I cherish it, for both the music and its performance. Happy Birthday, GJ, and well done St Mary's!

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
            • May 2011

That's very kind! St Mary's choir were on stonking form on Friday night, a great concert!

Comment

Working...
            X