What did you play?

What did you play?"
    Known to me as,

"Marcel Dupré,
    Marcel Dupré,
    He wrote a fugue
    That's hard to play."

CC never made it sound so.

It was a pleasure to hear him; but, most of all, to be infected by his genuine enthusiasm and relentless energy for music.

Vale, indeed.

Comment

• Cornet IV

Originally posted by Pegasus View Post
      Known to me as,

"Marcel Dupré,
      Marcel Dupré,
      He wrote a fugue
      That's hard to play."

CC never made it sound so.
      Frankly, I should be most surprised if CC made anything sound hard to play.

About ten years ago I heard him in Tacoma. He started the C Maj P&F (545) at a fearful speed and I couldn't help thinking that there were going to be tears when the opening pedal point ended - but not a bit of it! Without any diminution of pace and only occasionally using the bench for support, he launched into the first pedal solo for a demonstration of absolute mastery of musical precision, made particularly impressive given the key signature. I was astonished at the time and continue in awe to this day. His technique was nothing short of phenomenal.

Comment

• jean
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

An item about him on Last Word (R4) just now.

Comment

• Wolsey
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
          An item about him on Last Word (R4) just now.
          16 minutes, 42 seconds in:- http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b01m...mme-broadcasts

Comment

• bach736
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cornet IV View Post
            I seem to recall a similar stop which Noel Mander included in the house organ he built for Cecil Clutton but it's many years since I last played this so I may be dreaming. This was a beautifully voiced instrument and wonderfully complemented Clutton's fine specification. I wonder what happened to it . . .
            It found a home in KCS Music Department but you were dreaming, Cornet IV - there is no Cornet.

The spec is ...

Unterwerk : Larigot Fifteenth Principal 4 Stopt Diapason 8
            Oberwerk : Regal 8 Mixture II Chimney Flute 4 Spitz Flute 8
            Pedal : Gemshorn 4 Bourdon 16
            Couplers : Manuals Pedals + added Tremulant

The tuner's notes say 'The Regal is beyond all understanding'!
            Peter Jones, who moved it to KCS, says there is a pair of Cecil's shoes in the reservoir.

Comment

• Cornet IV

[QUOTE=bach736;203561]It found a home in KCS Music Department but you were dreaming, Cornet IV - there is no Cornet.

Well, thank you for that. Sadly, I've reached the age where perceptions of reality often are confused by deficient memory but I'm talking 1966 here, so perhaps the slip will be forgiven.

"The tuner's notes say 'The Regal is beyond all understanding'!" I don't remember any difficulty of comprehension; but perhaps I'm wrong on that too! However, what I do remember with absolute lucidity is the experience of driving the old GP Itala; an extraordinary beast owned by Clutton's alter ego, Sam.

Comment

Working...
              X