X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornet IV
    • Sep 2024

Carlo Curley, Vale.

I'm saddened by the death of the American organist Carlo Curley.

He did much to promote the interests of the pipe organ but unfortunately, (notably in this country, I think), he acquired the reputation of being a showman rather than a serious musician; this view is both incorrect and unfair and I suspect largely has been fostered by those jealous of his commercial success and prodigious ability. Of course, having Virgil Fox as a mentor did not help in this regard for there is a difference between popularising and vulgarising as practised by that performer but Curley also enjoyed the tutilage of George Thalben-Ball who was very much from the other end of the spectrum.

I shall remember Carlo Curley, who died just days short of his 60th birthday, for his humour, infectious enthusiasm and enviable pedal technique.
  • bach736
    • Nov 2010

I feel very fortunate to have attended his recent July recital on the refurbished Walker organ in East Harling, Norfolk.
    Such musicianship, amazing technique, prodigious memory, great stories - an unforgettable experience. RIP, Carlo.

Comment

• Contre Bombarde

This terribly sad news cast a real damper on Sunday here in Paris. I was fortunate to have met Carlo on 3 occasions and was privileged to have played in concert with him on one, Carlo on his Allen and me on the box of whistles.

He was a true gentleman, modest and humble but with a huge sense of fun and, of course, a prodigious technique and perfect choice of music on whatever instrument he played. His farewell bear hug on our last meeting nearly brought tears to my eyes then; the memory of it does now. Requiescat in pace, Carlo.

This clip may provide a fitting memorial.

Comment

• Roger Judd
        • Apr 2012

Indeed this is sad news. He did seem to polarize opinion about his style - you either loved it or hated it. I can only speak as I found on the one occasion that I heard him live. Roy Massey invited him to play at Hereford Cathedral and I was there. About 10 minutes before the concert was due to begin, the cathedral already packed, Roy made an announcement to the effect that Carlo had only just arrived, having had a dreadful journey up from the south coast somewhere. He'd shown him the console, and CC was going back to Roy's house to freshen up, and he'd get the concert under way just as soon as he could.

I don't have a perfect memory of the programme, but I recall a few items - Reger Wachet auf Fantasia, the Mozart F minor Fantasia, Bach 6th Trio Sonata, Dupré G minor Prelude and Fugue. He had not had a chance to play the organ in advance, he had to use the fixed piston combinations, no doubt Roy was on hand to advise on balance and maybe help with registration, CC made entertaining and entirely appropriate introductions, and it was all delivered from memory - it was quite simply brilliant - no, stunning. That was not the work of a showman, I would submit, but a fine musician. RIP indeed.
        RJ

Comment

• mangerton
          • Nov 2010

Yes, this is sad news. I saw and heard him in Dundee's Caird Hall on two occasions. An excellent musician and a highly entertaining performer.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

There is a second thread on this, but I'll keep them separate for now as there are two distinct interest groups.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Cornet IV

Thank you, Contra Bombarde, for the YouTube link; I had not previously seen this.

This is typical Carlo - he needed only the suggestion of winding up and he would entertain for hours with much interesting stuff collected during a lifetime of knowing all the "Greats". But he is seen here carrying much more weight than when we met some years ago and I wonder whether this might in some sense be contributory to his going. It was on this occasion that I sought to persuade him to play one of my favourite instruments (in Seattle), then unknown to him but I don't know if he managed it. He certainly would have enjoyed it.

Rather miffed to see that the Cornet outranks me . . . .

Comment

• christopher

Carlo was a colleague of mine at Girard College in Philadelphia in the 1970's. Of everyone I worked with there he was unquestionably the most memorable - highly talented, enthusiastic, eccentric, charming. Carlo was responsible for persuading the school's head to restore the remarkable Aeolian-Skinner organ which he dramatically featured at weekly chapel services and concerts. A splendid teacher, Carlo enjoyed showing off the organ's wide range of instrumental sounds at chapel functions. Even those who had little interest in music were attentive to his engaging Bernstein-style presentations. After he left the College I followed his career in Britain, recently trying unsuccessfully to make contact. He was indeed a showman but his showmanship stemmed from a profound love of music, of the organ in particular, and a desire to communicate his passion to others. A kind soul, always a gentleman. I am truly saddened by his death.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Many thanks for the informative reminiscences, christopher - and welcome to the forum.
                  It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Contre Bombarde

Originally posted by Cornet IV View Post
                    Thank you, Contra Bombarde, for the YouTube link; I had not previously seen this.

Rather miffed to see that the Cornet outranks me . . . .
                    ...but don't forget that a Cornet IV can be more flexible! Manders installed one in a school chapel organ a while ago that is labelled Cornet IV but is missing the 8' rank. The division on which it is situated has three 8' foundation stops and the Cornet is voiced with typical Mander skill so that it blends with each and produces a quite different sound.

CB about to leave for the Gare de St Lazare for a pilgrimage to Rouen and l'église abbatiale St Ouen in particular.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by christopher View Post
                      He was indeed a showman but his showmanship stemmed from a profound love of music, of the organ in particular, and a desire to communicate his passion to others. A kind soul, always a gentleman. I am truly saddened by his death.
                      Thank you for this, christopher (and welcome) - this was always the impression of him that I got.
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• PJPJ
                        • Nov 2010

After 30 years I still remember his introduction to Marcel Dupré's Fugue (Prelude & Fugue in G minor) suggesting one could follow the theme with the accompanying words:

"Marcel Dupré

Marcel Dupré

He is so gay

He is so gay

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...ha ha ......"

Try listening without a smile on your face!

Comment

• Cornet IV

Originally posted by Contre Bombarde View Post
                          ...but don't forget that a Cornet IV can be more flexible! Manders installed one in a school chapel organ a while ago that is labelled Cornet IV but is missing the 8' rank. The division on which it is situated has three 8' foundation stops and the Cornet is voiced with typical Mander skill so that it blends with each and produces a quite different sound.
                          Not an instrument known to me but I have to admit to being very out of touch with these things, having lived so long abroad. However, I seem to recall a similar stop which Noel Mander included in the house organ he built for Cecil Clutton but it's many years since I last played this so I may be dreaming. This was a beautifully voiced instrument and wonderfully complemented Clutton's fine specification. I wonder what happened to it . . .

Comment

• Contre Bombarde

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                            After 30 years I still remember his introduction to Marcel Dupré's Fugue (Prelude & Fugue in G minor) suggesting one could follow the theme with the accompanying words:

"Marcel Dupré

Marcel Dupré

He is so gay

He is so gay

Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha...ha ha ......"

Try listening without a smile on your face!
                            Not an original Carlo idea but a paraphrase on,

"Marcel Dupré

Marcel Dupré

What did you play?

What did you play?"

which became MD's signature tune (in the English speaking world at least) during his own lifetime and fitted the principle fugal theme of No. 3 Op.7.

Comment

• bach736
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cornet IV View Post
                              I seem to recall a similar stop which Noel Mander included in the house organ he built for Cecil Clutton but it's many years since I last played this so I may be dreaming. This was a beautifully voiced instrument and wonderfully complemented Clutton's fine specification. I wonder what happened to it . . .
                              It can be found in King's College School Music Department, where it has in turn inspired and been abused by several generations of small would-be organists. It does indeed have a Cornet on the upper manual.
                              I gather it is now looking for a new home, possibly on the continent.

Comment

Working...
                              X