X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornet IV
    • Sep 2024

Specifically organ

There are several names here that I remember from the first incarnation of Platform 3 but, sadly, none who contributed to Belphil's Organ Page which grew out of the then Choir section.

Is there a Radio 3 Forum area devoted to organ topics? I haven't managed to find anything yet.

Cornet IV.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Hi Cornet IV.

I don't think we have a dedicated organ spot. Given that choirs and organs are often linked (not least in the publication C & O) I can't think of any reason why organ matters shouldn't be discussed here...as indeed they sometimes are, usually in relation to a particular CE broadcast. If I were you I'd post away and try to draw the closet organophiles out of the woodwork. I'll start off by saying a big welcome...but tinged with regret that you're not a Mounted Cornet V !

Comment

• subcontrabass
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      a Mounted Cornet V !
      The only Mounted Cornet that I have encountered had 8 independent stops.

Comment

• ardcarp
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

There! I've drawn one out of the woodwork.....

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

...er, and I found this:

Comment

• Extended Play

It's a shame, IMV, that regular organ recitals seem to have vanished from Radio 3. They remain a feature of musical life in Britain today. So why has R3 apparently given up on them? Would one a month be too much to ask?

Comment

• decantor
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Extended Play View Post
              It's a shame, IMV, that regular organ recitals seem to have vanished from Radio 3. They remain a feature of musical life in Britain today. So why has R3 apparently given up on them? Would one a month be too much to ask?
              Funny you should say that. I listened to this recital only last night.

Comment

• Cornet IV

Hi Cornet IV.

I'll start off by saying a big welcome...but tinged with regret that you're not a Mounted Cornet V !
                Well, thank you, Ardcarp, for the welcome. No, not a mounted Cornet. But I have had my moments!
                Rather an archaic term in these dumb-downed days from which the adventure and romance has been extracted to leave just a common or garden four-rank mixture. Sad, really.

And as for "subcontrabass" - well, how low can you get? Rather below my threshold I'm afraid as my horizons seldom extend beyond the North European Barok, although I have vague recollections of a 64' resultant (or was it 32'?) on the Schnitger at Alkmaar. Also remember a real 64-footer at the Sydney Town Hall but this derived more from civic rivalry (with Melbourne?) than any musical justification, as I recall.

Oh well, perhaps a few old chums will pop out of the woodwork . . . .

Comment

• ardcarp
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Yes, but what a pity it's that piece. Nothing wrong with it (authorship by Bach sometimes disputed) except it's played to death. For R3 the organ equivelent of The Planets.

Comment

• Extended Play

Originally posted by decantor View Post
                    Ah, I hadn't spotted that broadcast. Thank you for putting up the link.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

I have been playing a selkection of cds today, featuring Cavaille-Coll organs.

I was wondering what do other board ,members think of this great organ builder?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• mangerton
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post

Oddly enough, Saturday morning is a favourite time of mine for playing organ music. I think it's because I know I won't disturb anyone at that time!

I do like the sound of Cavaillé-Coll organs. Unfortunately I've never had the opportunity to hear one "live" but I have a number of recordings including one of Latry (referred to above) playing Franck at Notre Dame.

Comment

• Frances_iom
                          • Mar 2007

Yes, but what a pity it's that piece.
                          presume BWV565 - I have at least 20 (+ prob many more) recordings as seems to be on every recital cd for any type of organ
                          re Cavaille Coll - many CDs of such ranging from the one that was in Warrington Parr hall thro to the one in Algiers cathedral + many in Frances(couple at least in Paris, Lyons, Rouen)

Comment

• vinteuil
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post

... the sound of the Cavaillé-Coll organs can be gorgeous, and a joy to be wallowed in.

Howsomdiver, I prefer it in works that were more-or-less designed for that kind of instrument - César Franck, Charles-Marie Widor, Alexandre-Pierre-François Boely, Louis-James-Alfred Lefébure-Wély and the like. I am much less happy when organists attempt Bach on such instruments...

Comment

• subcontrabass
                              • Nov 2010

Yes, but what a pity it's that piece. Nothing wrong with it (authorship by Bach sometimes disputed) except it's played to death. For R3 the organ equivelent of The Planets.
                              Probably the least interesting of Bach's organ toccatas. Technically not particularly difficult. Fugue lacks a countersubject.

Comment

Working...
                              X