X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Frances_iom
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Cornet IV View Post
    Can I suggest that the "American organs" widely found in UK chapels were not wrongly named - nearly all of these were, in fact, harmoniums (plural harmoniae?). American organs are not so often found.
    I own a Canadian organ built late 1880's (from makers plate) which was in one family until I acquired it - it definitely 'sucks' as under the guidance of an organ builder I took it down to the wooden frame so that it and the case could be dowsed in woodworm killer - it also had to be partially broken down again to move into my flat - the organ builder decribed it as an American Organ' and he has restored quite a few (often with very fancy cases eg see www.manxnotebook.com/music/organs.htm) some of which did come from smaller Methodist chapels.

Comment

• ardcarp
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

I have not met a reed organ in this capacity.
      Oh dear, Cornet IV. I'm totally confused now! The bit of Brittany I haunt is stiff with huge harmoniums (emphatically not small pipe organs), mainly lying unused,. Not knowing much about the subject, I assumed (obviously wrongly!) that American organs sucked and harmoniums blew. Maybe we need someone with an ISOB qualification to adjudicate!

Comment

• BBMmk2
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

I have been playing mainly organ music lately, built by Cavaille Coll

I think my favourite Cavaille Coll organ has to be Sainte Sulpice in paris. I have this cd of mainly Britiish works, c/w Boellman's classic Suite Gothique!!
        Don’t cry for me
        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ardcarp
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Just googled. (It does say the article needs more contributors and verification.)

A harmonium is a free-standing keyboard instrument similar to a reed organ. Sound is produced by air being blown through sets of free reeds, resulting in a sound similar to that of an accordion. The air is usually supplied by bellows operated by the foot, hand, or knees.

In North America, the most common pedal-pumped free-reed keyboard instrument is known as the "American reed organ", (or "parlor organ", "pump organ", "cabinet organ", "cottage organ", etc.) and along with the earlier melodeon, is operated by a suction bellows where air is sucked through the reeds to produce the sound. A reed organ with a pressure bellows that pushes the air through the reeds is referred to as a "harmonium".
          In much of Europe, the term harmonium is used to describe all pedal-pumped keyboard free-reed instruments, making no distinction whether it has a pressure or suction bellows.
          The one I owned and fiddled about with as a kid was definitely a 'sucker'. I can't vouch for the ones I've seen in France, but they are huge, not like the relatively small, if ornate, ones found in the UK. One can imagine the French ones being capable of giving a good airing to some of the works of Vierne, described as being 'for organ or harmonium'.

Comment

• vinteuil
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cornet IV View Post

The essential difference between these types of instrument is that the harmonium operates on negative pressure, that is the air is "sucked" across the reeds whilst the American variant uses the pedals to pump the wind chests positively (as is the case with pipe organs). The notional advantage of the latter type is that providing that the player has taken his/her Weetabix, it is able to make a louder noise.

My memory is that it is the other way round. The 'American Organ' creates a partial vacuum and 'sucks' the air through the reeds; the harmonium (like the accordion) blows the air through.

The significant difference is that the American vacuum method creates a continuous unwavering level of pressure, whereas with the harmonium the player can vary the flow of air by varying the pedalling - and hence attempt a degree of 'expression'.

The reason I know this is that when I was a teenager I wanted a harmonium; my parents bought me a clapped out 'American organ' from a defunct local chapel. It was a great disappointment...

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I hope tpo go and see the Farnborough Abbey C-C, week after next!
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Contre Bombarde

Brassbandmaestro,

My understanding of the Farnborough organ is that it is a Mutin, built after the death of C-C but originally and incorrectly attributed to AC-C. NPOR would confirm.

Do please try to get hold of some CDs from St. Ouen, Rouen. This was AC-C's final build and is utterly magnificent. I related the story of my first encounter with this organ elsewhere on this forum which may give a tiny idea of its sheer power but the beauty of the quieter stops, especially the strings on the Récit Expressif, is remarkable. I'd recommend some of Ben van Oosten's peerless recordings from there including Guilmant, Dupré and Widor.

You mention St Sulpice. Less well known but equally notable as the Grande Orgue is the 21 stop C-C Orgue de Choeur which is an organ any medium-sized Parish church would die to have. Daniel made a DVD about St Sulpice for the the OHS and featured this two manual instrument quite heavily. The DVD is also well worth buying especially for 1) a visit to the Salon Widor, the office adjacent to the organ named for CMW, and 2) Daniel's playing of the Allegro from Widor's VI Symphonie on the Grand Orgue showing his total mastery of the organ and this tricky piece of music.

CB, back in the UK for a couple of days to play for the funeral of a distant relative; so distant that this will be our first meeting...
                Last edited by Guest; 06-08-12, 07:56. Reason: Adding information that I forgot yesterday.

Comment

• Cornet IV

Originally posted by vinteuil View Post
                  My memory is that it is the other way round. The 'American Organ' creates a partial vacuum and 'sucks' the air through the reeds; the harmonium (like the accordion) blows the air through.

The significant difference is that the American vacuum method creates a continuous unwavering level of pressure, whereas with the harmonium the player can vary the flow of air by varying the pedalling - and hence attempt a degree of 'expression'.

The reason I know this is that when I was a teenager I wanted a harmonium; my parents bought me a clapped out 'American organ' from a defunct local chapel. It was a great disappointment...
                  vinteuil,

Being convinced of the rectitude of my disposition, I sought the help of Wikipedia in support of the probity of my case. Only to find I have been WRONG
                  Furthermore, I'm astonished that I have been wrong for so long. I apologise for seeking (albeit unwittingly) to lead you astray.

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

Further to my post on Marcel Dupré, whose father was a friend of Cavaillé-Coll who built an organ in the Dupré home, I discovered Aristide Cavaillé-Coll has a couple of anniversaries around this time and a DVD about the history of the organs he built is due from:

in the near future.

Comment

• AmpH
                      • Feb 2012

I had the pleasure of attending a recital by Peter King ( Bath Abbey ) playing the C - C organ at St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough yesterday afternoon. The varied programme comprised :-

Alexandre Guilmant - Grand Choeur
                      Giovanni Battista Pescetti - Sonata in C minor
                      William Wolstenholme - Lied
                      Cesar Franck - Pastorale
                      Samuel Sebastian Wesley - Larghetto in F sharp minor
                      Robert Schumann - Canons Op 56 no's v & vi
                      Guy Ropartz - Introduction et Allegro moderato

This was the first time I have heard such an instrument ' live ' and the sound was marvellous in the excellent acoustic of the Abbey. The next and final recital of 2012at Farnborough will be given by Neil Wright on 7 October.

Comment

• ardcarp
                        Late member
                        • Nov 2010

It has been drawn to my attention that a trade journal taken by many organ-buliders has serialised a lecture given by the late (and much lamented) Stephen Bicknell to I.S.O.B. entitled:

Technical and Artistic Aspects of the Work of Aristide Cavaille-Coll with Special Reference to the Organ at Farnborough Abbey

The journal is called Soundings and is circulated amongst members of the Institute of Musical Instrument Technology. Whether it is available to the public I am not sure, but one could email the editor at:

soundingsmagazine@btinternet.com

(Suggest only inquire if genuine anorak...)

Comment

• Mr Stoat

Rather than start a new topic, this seems a good place to ask....

I need to get hold of a copy of a short organ piece by Gustav Merkel, "Allegro Maestoso" (This is NOT the 1st movement of his Fantasia & Fugue in C, which has the same title)

It was, I believe in Volume 2 of Church Voluntaries (Novello) and was later published seperately by Oecumuse. Googling has not helped. Any help appreciated! Many thanks.

Comment

• Wolsey
                            • Nov 2010

There is a composition of that description in book 21 of Stainer and Cunningham Woods' series The Village Organist which is available through the print-on-demand service from www.musicroom.com , or from Presto Classical. Books 19-24 comprise volume IV of the series.

Comment

• Mr Stoat

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
                              There is a composition of that description in book 21 of Stainer and Cunningham Woods' series The Village Organist which is available through the print-on-demand service from www.musicroom.com , or from Presto Classical. Books 19-24 comprise volume IV of the series.
                              That'll be the one - thank you! "Church Voluntaries" was a sort of re-hash of "The Village Organist"

Comment

• Cornet IV

Those having an interest in Cavaille-Coll - and there seems to be a few - might like to know of a communication recently received:

"The Genius of Cavaille-Coll. This email is to update you about the release of the Fugue State Films DVD/CD boxed set celebrating the life and work of organ builder Aristide Cavaillé-Coll. After filming in more than twenty locations for fifty days, this will be released in time for Christmas this year. The result will fill 3 DVDs and 2 CDs."

Members of the Organ Historical Society can subscribe to this issue for $110. The Society's website will provide greater detail and I imagine will be available to non-members - after all, we need all the help we can get!

I hope this might prove useful.

Comment

Working...
                                X