Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Cornet IV

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
    I have been playing a selkection of cds today, featuring Cavaille-Coll organs.

I was wondering what do other board ,members think of this great organ builder?
    Not really my field as my interest lies in small-scaled classical instruments; I prefer to leave the symphonic leviathans to others. But I think his inspiration probably was Cliquot, just as in turn, C-C inspired Henry Willis and later the Cassavant Freres. Produced some truly wonderful instruments without which I suspect that Saint-Saens, Widor, Faure, Vierne et al might have written differently. My experience of his orgues is limited but in my view his best is in St Sulpice. I think there are at least a couple of C-C's in GB - from memory, Paisley might be one.

Comment

• mangerton
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cornet IV View Post
      Not really my field as my interest lies in small-scaled classical instruments; I prefer to leave the symphonic leviathans to others. But I think his inspiration probably was Cliquot, just as in turn, C-C inspired Henry Willis and later the Cassavant Freres. Produced some truly wonderful instruments without which I suspect that Saint-Saens, Widor, Faure, Vierne et al might have written differently. My experience of his orgues is limited but in my view his best is in St Sulpice. I think there are at least a couple of C-C's in GB - from memory, Paisley might be one.
      It was originally built by C-C, and still contains some of his pipework. Details here:

Thanks for reminding me (see above); I have heard that organ on quite a few occasions.

Comment

• subcontrabass
        • Nov 2010

My experience of his orgues is limited but in my view his best is in St Sulpice. I think there are at least a couple of C-C's in GB - from memory, Paisley might be one.
        Wikipedia lists four in UK plus one in Jersey. Apart from Paisley Abbey, they are at Parr Hall, Warrington (still apparently with original specification), St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough (a small two-manual instrument), and Manchester Town Hall (which has been expanded from an original three-manual to a five-manual instrument). The Paisley Abbey instrument appears to have had four rebuilds. All four are in regular use.

Comment

• Cornet IV

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
          Probably the least interesting of Bach's organ toccatas. Technically not particularly difficult. Fugue lacks a countersubject.
          BWV 565 has become so terribly hackneyed that it is difficult to judge it with much objectivity. Not so long ago, Tracy and Wayne were was discussing their wedding and said "Do you know Toccata and Fugue in D minor?"
          "Oh yes" I responded, and gave them the Dorian. Nobody noticed a thing and I had a lot more fun!

Furthermore, so much rubbish is attached to it - things such as it was written for solo violin and it wasn't Bach anyway. Strange how supporters of the latter postulation never suggest who the author might have been if it wasn't JSB. Certainly, 565 is one of Bach's least accomplished works but unquestionably it is his, if only because it could not have been written by anyone else, although Nicholas Bruhns on a good day might, perhaps, have been a contender. Now, if the conspiracy theorists want something to occupy themselves, they should consider the first (C maj) from the Eight Little Preludes and Fugues. Bach could not possibly have written anything so banal - Mozart or Clementi, yes, but not The Master.

565 makes me liverish!

Comment

• Gabriel Jackson
            • May 2011

BWV 565 has become so terribly hackneyed that it is difficult to judge it with much objectivity. Not so long ago, Tracy and Wayne were was discussing their wedding and said "Do you know Toccata and Fugue in D minor?"
            "Oh yes" I responded, and gave them the Dorian. Nobody noticed a thing and I had a lot more fun!

How snobbish and unprofessional of you.

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Gabriel Jackson View Post
              How snobbish and unprofessional of you.
              Well at least the Dorian is pretty certainly by Bach. BWV 565, on the other hand ...

Comment

• paul duggan2

Furthermore, so much rubbish is attached to it - things such as it was written for solo violin and it wasn't Bach anyway. Strange how supporters of the latter postulation never suggest who the author might have been if it wasn't JSB. Certainly, 565 is one of Bach's least accomplished works but unquestionably it is his, if only because it could not have been written by anyone else, although Nicholas Bruhns on a good day might, perhaps, have been a contender. Now, if the conspiracy theorists want something to occupy themselves, they should consider the first (C maj) from the Eight Little Preludes and Fugues. Bach could not possibly have written anything so banal - Mozart or Clementi, yes, but not The Master.

565 makes me liverish!
                Strange that you didn't give your wedding couple what you knew they wanted. Wouldn't it have been better to tell them you didn't want to play it (as you felt above it) and that they should ask someone else?

Comment

• Bryn
                  Banned
                  • Mar 2007

... Furthermore, so much rubbish is attached to it - things such as it was written for solo violin and it wasn't Bach anyway. Strange how supporters of the latter postulation never suggest who the author might have been if it wasn't JSB. ...
                  Did not David Humphreys suggest the piece might have been by Johann Peter Kellner?

Comment

• Wolsey
                    • Nov 2010

Certainly, 565 is one of Bach's least accomplished works but unquestionably it is his, if only because it could not have been written by anyone else,
                    Having just re-read Professor Peter Williams' commentary on BWV 565, I should be interested to know on what grounds you consider it to be "unquestionably" by Bach.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

PaiselyAbbey, is that the one in or near Farnborough?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Wolsey
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        PaiselyAbbey, is that the one in or near Farnborough?
                        Paisley Abbey is in Scotland; St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough is in England. Both have websites.
                        Last edited by Wolsey; 25-07-12, 08:06.

Comment

• mangerton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Wolsey View Post
                          Paisley Abbey is in Scotland; St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough is in Hampshire. Both have websites.
                          I'm on my high horse a bit, but this sort of thing happens all too frequently in the anglo-centric media.

Could we please have some consistency here?

EITHER:

Paisley Abbey is in Scotland; St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough is in England

OR:

Paisley Abbey is in Renfrewshire; St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough is in Hampshire

Comment

• Extended Play

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                            I'm on my high horse a bit, but this sort of thing happens all too frequently in the anglo-centric media.

EITHER:

OR:

Paisley Abbey is in Renfrewshire; St Michael's Abbey, Farnborough is in Hampshire
                            Spot on, Mangerton! Radio 4 is a frequent culprit, sometimes giving me the impression that Scotland is no more than a COUNTY (rather than country), inconveniently tacked on to the north of England.

(Have already dived for cover!)

Comment

• Mr Stoat

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
                              The Paisley Abbey instrument appears to have had four rebuilds. All four are in regular use.
                              Pedantry mode ON

An amazing feat of time travel!

Pedantry mode OFF!

Sorry!

Comment

• Mr Stoat

Originally posted by mangerton View Post

EITHER:

OR:

Choir vacancies at Carlisle advertised in the Church Times have claimed to be in Scotland in the past!

Comment

Working...
                                X